Old 08-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

also the new ''r'' car was designed to take the 4800 lipo

i dont have much expierence with the jrxs/jrxsr so i cant be of much help there
Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you want to run stick packs or Lipos, sell the car and get something else. It is not worth hacking the chassis up just to get a battery to fit in it. The Type R readily excepts Lipo packs with no modification and even includes a Lipo specific tray in the kit. Although now Losi puts out a weighted Lipo tray so you don't have to add weight.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Talking

You want to know something funny, about 1 month ago i purchased the original jrx-s (not type r) on ebay after agonizing about what to get . I had THE SAME EXACT PROBLEMS!!!!

I couldn't believe it when i read this thread hahahha, i mean i broke my outdrive and all hahahaha.

So here is where i am now, i have tons of speed, but no rear grip. I've been toying w/ droop etc but i decided to go back and read . I found this on team losi's site: http://www.teamlosi.com/jrxs-page/todd-index.htm

I also bought a setup station (40$ from m-power i think) to make sure i have everything correct.

The ambient temp is about 80deg here now so the track will prolly be like 90 to 95 i'm gonna try rp36's. The 30's wore out too fast and i can't afford to change tires so often .

I'll try to post my experiences here because www.jrxs.com seems to have died and no one at my track has the regular jrxs.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rustlerboi1052
Well, about a month or two ago I purchased a JRX-S (original, not the type R) from my hobby shop for about 300 bucks. Build went together smoothly, and seemed pretty good quality. I stuck a Mamba Max 6900 system in there in addition to my spektrum.

Today I went to Hobbytown USA because they have parking lot races which I have been a spectator at before, but this time I could finally race! I had to hunt down some tires cause i didn't have any, and i only had 20 bucks in my pocket. SOOO....i had to get this crappy junk HPI tires at the hobby shop:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCYT2&P=7

I got the tires mounted up, we are racing on asfault and about an hour before the race I was tightening my front differential,and i must have overtightened it since the front right diff outdrive broke. I couldn't believe this had to happen before a race, I don't have any spare parts for this thing and I have to race!! I had to resort to the CA glue, the hobby shop didnt' have the part, but its not like I even had any money to even buy the part anyways!!! lol. I let the part sit for about 45 minutes after CA'ing it. I put it back on and hoped that this baby will stay together....I was racing in the intermediate class, during practice i was definatly way faster than my competition, but i could not get any grip. These tires were just not doing justice. Through the turns i just spin out and flip around. It wants to go but it just can't! I was sliding through corners and spinning out 50 percent of the time, luckely in the straights my Mamba really made up some time.

In the end i placed 2nd out of 5, last place car had a runaway LOL...and 4th place car was just slow, the 3rd place car was okay, but i was faster.

What I learned was, racing is fun, my tires suck, I need some money, and i shouldn't overtighten differentials It was a fun day, but I am not going to be able to run again for awhile since i have no way of getting new tires lol. Cool car though fo sho!
Also, what tires do you recommend and any other things i should get for this?

THANKS!

-Steve

I just noteced it was you!

Sounds like you have the racing bug a? Goood to hear!

The one thing you want is tires tires and tires

That makes the biggest difference in in car, that can mean the difference of the car sliding like its a drifter, to locked in racer
Old 09-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks guys, way to chime in BOR! thanks!

I found the outdrive set at a hobby shop about 15 miles away, I will have to pick it up there in order to race wednesday... I took a dremel and shaved off some of the CF around the battery tray area to let my big IB4200 fit in there correctly.It fits real well now at least, won't have any problems. I kind of need some extra 6 cell packs too, i hope to get some money before then. And after that......i'm pretty much set, i am going for the top place this time, and i think i'll program the mamba to do some drag brake and cool stuff like that...i'm so new to onroad I almost don't have a clue what i'm doing LOL.
This next race i'm taking my buddy with a TC3, we will dooke it out, i will burn him in the straights.

YmeBP,
My outdrive broke on that side of the diff too, but the entire "cup" so to speak broke off leaving a little peice that was held on by a nut.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rustlerboi1052
Thanks guys, way to chime in BOR! thanks!

I found the outdrive set at a hobby shop about 15 miles away, I will have to pick it up there in order to race wednesday... I took a dremel and shaved off some of the CF around the battery tray area to let my big IB4200 fit in there correctly.It fits real well now at least, won't have any problems. I kind of need some extra 6 cell packs too, i hope to get some money before then. And after that......i'm pretty much set, i am going for the top place this time, and i think i'll program the mamba to do some drag brake and cool stuff like that...i'm so new to onroad I almost don't have a clue what i'm doing LOL.
This next race i'm taking my buddy with a TC3, we will dooke it out, i will burn him in the straights.

YmeBP,
My outdrive broke on that side of the diff too, but the entire "cup" so to speak broke off leaving a little peice that was held on by a nut.

Awsome man!

As long as your out there doing the racing, insted of sitting at home going, man, I wish I had this proper part to race bla bla, get out and race!!!!

Wish I would of done that, Insted I missed 2 races by thinking in was under-prepaired, So I watched the 2 races

Good luck man!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

I took a dremel and shaved off some of the CF around the battery tray area to let my big IB4200 fit in there correctly
Do you have the metal 4200 tray for the car?

I have some more findings from yesterday's race i'll post some pictures later on in the day. I still can't get the back of the car to stay planted. I've tried rp30's 36's cs27's tire warmers and traction compound.

The track is bumpy and has banks it's an asphalt track.

Rear Setup: 6mm ride height 3mm droop. Rear camber links in the inside lower mounting hole, 0 degree uprights and 0 degree aluminum arm hold downer thingy's. I had the best luck w/ the rp30 on asphalt, track temp was about 105degrees and the tires were 118 degrees after a 5 minute run. Now that i type this i guess i should have temped each tire.

Front setup: 6mm ride height haven't checked front droop, camber links in center middle hole, 2 degree aluminum arm hold downer thingy, rp36's which i can't seem to take off the dam car now because i didn't ream the little hole before i cranked down the nut, 2degrees of toe out and stop cast angle.

I have the up travel limited but not sure specifically how much. I did find something really weird though the left rear (w/ the front wheels going away from you) drive shaft has a greater downward angle than the right one on my car. I spent 20 minutes measuring and wrenching and couldn't get the left outdrive to be even straight across. The thing that drove me up a wall about this was that the car seemed perfect turning left and no rear traction turning right. I'll take some photo's a little later.

Can you snap a picture or two of your car front and rear? I got mine used and i don't know if it is something broken or normal.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Check and see if your roll centers are set correctly, also check your inner and outer suspension pivots to see if they have been installed the wrong way around (height-wise).

You will need the 2 degree outer pivot block on the rear, not the front. Sounds like you do not have any toe-in on the rear end. Don't worry about up-travel for now. Just set your droop, set the front toe to zero, 1degree camber all around. With the 2 degree pivot on the rear, it should grip up enough.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jrxs-r; 09-02-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am at the other house right now so the JRXS isn't with me, but i can snap some pictures on my cell phone camera once i get ahold of the car.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Check and see if your roll centers are set correctly, also check your inner and outer suspension pivots to see if they have been installed the wrong way around (height-wise).
How do i adjust the roll centers? I've doublechecked the pivots and all looks well at least to me .

but i can snap some pictures on my cell phone camera once i get ahold of the car.
Thanks I really appreciate it . I have no frame of reference to look at.

I've taken a couple of photo's of mine. I have some questions about the wear on my tires. I noticed that the left side of the car has a ridge down the inside edge of the tires. The fronts were brand new yesterday when i put them on.

This one is a little hard to see, but if you look you can see the angle difference i mentioned before. I have larger versions of these photos here: http://www.skyersfamily.com/gallery/...geViewsIndex=1

These are shots of the ridges i mentioned:
Rear

Front

The other side of the car the tires look fine:

The second biggest complaint i have about this car is the method they use to capture their hinge pins suck! I think i'm going to cut them and use small button head screws to capture the pins. I think this may have actually lead to a crack in my wheels, which btw i STILL can't get off any tips? I'm about a half a second away from buying a gear puller to get these dam things off.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Since the only shot you gave us of your roll center was the rear, you have a high roll center in the rear or at least the rollcenter brace is high in that pic. Hopefully the blocks in front of it are high as well so it matches. You will know if they are both set up the same if the hinge pin for the arm is parallel with the chassis. If it is on an angle to the chassis you then have it setup for kick. I can't explain that since I don't fully understand it myself. The ridges you have on your tires on the one side of the car would mean you had a perdominately right cornered track which is showing abnormal wear on the left side tires. Not too much you can do about that, but another thing are you sure it is setup right as far as camber and such? Do you have a setup station or have a friend that can put it on his to check it out?

You will not need a puller to get the wheels of, just rock it back and forth, it will come off. After you get them off a tip for you would be to take a body reamer and ream out the holes in the wheels. That car came with standard axles and the wheels were drilled for metric. Don't go nuts on making the holes too big, just ream a little and test fit.

The way the hinge pins are captured on that car is not bad as long as you don't strip out the setscrew hole. If you do that you are pretty much screwed in that you should get a new hub. Also before you tighten the setscrew down, make sure the hinge pin is centered meaning equal amount of pin out each side of the arm. This will keep it from rubbing the inside of the rim at extreme suspension or turning angles. The crack in your wheel came from hitting something, I doubt it was the hinge pin that did it unless you ran the whole time with it loose and rubbing the wheel. Even then all it would do it put a rub mark or groove on the wheel. This is not a bad car unless your plans are to run Lipos in the near future, for it is not made to except them. I still run one of these cars as well as a Type R and I like them both.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YmeBP
The ambient temp is about 80deg here now so the track will prolly be like 90 to 95 i'm gonna try rp36's. The 30's wore out too fast and i can't afford to change tires so often .
30's will be the better choice for that temp range. If you don't like quick wearing tires, then maybe you should consider something else. This part of the hobby is about tires and traction. When traction goes, tires generally are done.

Do you know what setup is on your car? Meaning did you get it from the Losi site or was it on the car when you bought and you just are dealing with it?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Yeti thanks for the feedback . I have the roll center set high all the way around, it was how the car was set when i got it w/ the plastic hingpin holders, and i set them the same when i replaced them w/ the aluminum ones. And i got the numbers reversed on the pivot blocks, i have 2 in the rear and 0 in the front.

I went based on a mix of advice at the track, how the car came from the previous owner, a suggestion from teamlosi.com (todd hodges emailed me a tip) and a setup sheet todd emailed me as well.

I do have a setup station, and i've set the car to the suggested settings from the teamlosi web page.

RP30's ran like a dream on saturday. I tried cs27's but they didn't stick like 30's so i think they are used up.

I hit a bunch o stuff ... HARD hahha but not w/ those wheels. I mean i gave the car a good smak a couple of times but i wouldn't think hard enough to break a rim. I'll have to take that end of the car apart and check the set screw and upright.

Lastly THANK YOU!!!! I really appreciate the tips!! The bug has bitten me as hard as it did when i saw my friends frog back in the early 80's.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trust me, it does not take much sometimes to break a rim. It could all depend on the angle at which you hit or what you hit that breaks it. I am running the Numan setup on my JRXS and it suits me just fine to the point I have not changed the setup since I have had the car. Not sure what setup Todd sent you but I am sure if you got it form him it will not be a bad setup at all.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Yeti35
Trust me, it does not take much sometimes to break a rim. It could all depend on the angle at which you hit or what you hit that breaks it. I am running the Numan setup on my JRXS and it suits me just fine to the point I have not changed the setup since I have had the car. Not sure what setup Todd sent you but I am sure if you got it form him it will not be a bad setup at all.
I just checked the file name it is the Numan setup. I'll have to take some time this week and setup the car that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.