R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   HOW LONG BEFORE BL BECOMES THE NORM AND BRUSHED BECOMES THE COMMODITY??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/179066-how-long-before-bl-becomes-norm-brushed-becomes-commodity.html)

bxpitbull 08-28-2007 10:12 AM

HOW LONG BEFORE BL BECOMES THE NORM AND BRUSHED BECOMES THE COMMODITY???

With all of the threads abound, I just have to ask one of my "stir the hornets nest" questions.....when will Brushless motors become the norm and brushed motors the commodity? Certain companies (checkpoint, Orion come to mind) still have racers out their kicking major donkey tail with brushed. That said, when will brushless truly take the helm? I know there are people that say they run "too quiet" (isnt that why some people dont race nitro??:confused:), but that aside, when, if ever, will BL motors become the dominant and STANDARD force in R/C? just opinions.....

or8ital 08-28-2007 10:18 AM

Hasnt it already? At least among racers. Most people I race with run brushless.

bxpitbull 08-28-2007 10:20 AM

I would say on the club level, but you still see many of the top pros running AND winning with brushed. When is Hara gonna drop a brushless line...now THAT would be HOT!

or8ital 08-28-2007 10:25 AM

I thought ever racer in the modified A main of Reedy used a brushless? I think thats what I read.

mountaindr3wz 08-28-2007 10:26 AM

i still have brushed motors and im thinking about transfering to lipos/ brushless but why change if it works.

RocketRacer 08-28-2007 10:30 AM

the wheels are turning slowly for brushless implementation. to mee it seems like some of the racers are a bit sceptical of the brushless trend. i don't see why not. brushless is the "sliced bread" of RC racing. i have also put forth this suggestion for brushless stock racing at our local clubs. guys were concerned about scrutineering procedures for brushless, but i found some excellent stuff on Novak's site to take care of that.

i think that clubs and track owners should start implementing at club level 'cos the average club racer makes this sport!!

bxpitbull 08-28-2007 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by or8ital (Post 3622294)
I thought ever racer in the modified A main of Reedy used a brushless? I think thats what I read.

hit me with the URL.

Originally Posted by mountaindr3wz (Post 3622305)
i still have brushed motors and im thinking about transfering to lipos/ brushless but why change if it works.

It may work, but the amount of maintennance, costs associated with said maintennance and replacing of key components to remain in the hunt (armatures, zapping magnets, changing endbells, comm sticks, lathe bits, solder), brushless is not only more sensible, but logical.

or8ital 08-28-2007 10:36 AM

BX, I read it in xtreme RC magazine but Todd Hodge references here:

http://www.toddhodge.com/news.php?article=2459

syndr0me 08-28-2007 10:40 AM

The on-road section is becoming the LiPo/Brushless forum. And the off-road section, too. Maybe it's time for another sub-forum?

bxpitbull 08-28-2007 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by or8ital (Post 3622335)
BX, I read it in xtreme RC magazine but Todd Hodge references here:

http://www.toddhodge.com/news.php?article=2459

Todd says domestic cars and the other thread we are conversing on mentions these domestic cars as being made in Asia now:lol:

or8ital 08-28-2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by bxpitbull (Post 3622351)
Todd says domestic cars and the other thread we are conversing on mentions these domestic cars as being made in Asia now:lol:

Yeah thought it was interesting it touched both threads.

Dave Nelson 08-28-2007 10:45 AM

I think it should be personal prefrence. forcing people to invest in a new motor,esc,batteries may drive people out of the hobby. I for one am not going bl unless they do handouts like with brushed races.

or8ital 08-28-2007 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Nelson (Post 3622362)
I think it should be personal prefrence. forcing people to invest in a new motor,esc,batteries may drive people out of the hobby. I for one am not going bl unless they do handouts like with brushed races.

Out of curiousity, why? And do your friends and family refer to you as stubborn? :)

bxpitbull 08-28-2007 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Nelson (Post 3622362)

Drive people out? Figure this, once you get the initial costs out of the way, your motor/ESC/cells will be the least of your worries...leaving you free to worry about tires, shock oil, springs, dampers, droop, camber and all of that other good stuff. Performing additional maintennance THEN having to break in brushes and tweak the motor is time consuming...not too mention tedious. I have yet to see a brushed motor run more than one heat without fade like a BL motor.

bill941 08-28-2007 10:52 AM

Here's idea keep both let the people who like brushed run brushed and bl run bl don't mix the two but have different classes.Why does one have to replace the other just let both exist makes sense to me anyway