Wiki Posts
Search

Common Sense RC 4400 Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Common Sense RC 4400 Lipo

I just picked up one of these at my LHS. This is my first lipo pack and was wondering if anyone has had much experience with them. I searched the forum but did not see any thread started for this and did not find any performance information. My LHS (Venture Hobbies) sells reputable stuff but I've just never heard of Common Sense RC.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=214
Old 08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Its only 10C by way of comparison Orion is 20C (and proven). Can you take it back and exchange for an Orion?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You couldve gotten a Maxamps 6000 for that price. More Mah, more constant voltage and higher burst. For bullet-proofness, get the orion for an additional 40. The 10c output will get sucked dry by on-road applications.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
You couldve gotten a Maxamps 6000 for that price. More Mah, more constant voltage and higher burst. For bullet-proofness, get the orion for an additional 40. The 10c output will get sucked dry by on-road applications.
Hmmm. That sucks. Our track only allows packs with hard cases.

Originally Posted by or8ital
Its only 10C by way of comparison Orion is 20C (and proven). Can you take it back and exchange for an Orion?
I may. I'll be making a return trip. I have to do some more research on the m10C vs. 20C.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think you'll find that in the airplane/heli world, Common Sense RC has a better reputation than MaxAmps. Assuming they're not as good because you've not familiar with them is juvenile.

And good for them, providing a hard case for their LiPo and trying to be proactive about it.

I've read that the C rating isn't the one true way to judge a cell, and that there are many other factors. If other people at your track are running these with some success, I'd say go for it. For the money, I'd go with Orion for the safety/quality of their cells, and the less intrusive balancing connector.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Tech Lord

They have a balance connector flush mount terminal and extension cord for easy balancing.
Actually, it sounds like you can detach the balance connector, and it may have terminals?

You guys should stop pimping MaxAmps every chance you get, there are other players out there, and Common Sense R/C is definitely one of them.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Actually, it sounds like you can detach the balance connector, and it may have terminals?

You guys should stop pimping MaxAmps every chance you get, there are other players out there, and Common Sense R/C is definitely one of them.
Yeah it does. I thought that was nice too. I already bought it and wanted to know if anyone knew of this company. The guy at my hobby shop said it would work fine. But I go to another hobby shop to drive/race and I haven't seen much lipo run other than a guy or two and they had Orion Platinum's. No shop here has the Orion's in stock and I wanted to give lipo a try this weekend. The track just changed the rules to allow lipo.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Tech Lord

Well, I don't know the origin if their cells, so it's hard to comment on how safe they are compared to other brands. If I had to guess, I'd say Chinese with a chance of producing a decent sized flame if mistreated.

So, with that in mind, treat it right, and store it right. The hard case and proper storage should go a long way toward making sure you don't have a bad experience, but I'd always take safety precautions, even with Orion. I believe CSRC sells a nice Lipo bag. You might consider storing/charging in that.

If you visit some of the heli/airplane boards, you can find more opinions on CSRC. They seem to be generally well-liked, and have a range of LiPo products other than batteries. I give them big points for putting the cells in a case for car use. It seems to me that they get it, and realize a car is a bad place for a soft battery.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Well, I don't know the origin if their cells, so it's hard to comment on how safe they are compared to other brands. If I had to guess, I'd say Chinese with a chance of producing a decent sized flame if mistreated.

So, with that in mind, treat it right, and store it right. The hard case and proper storage should go a long way toward making sure you don't have a bad experience, but I'd always take safety precautions, even with Orion. I believe CSRC sells a nice Lipo bag. You might consider storing/charging in that.

If you visit some of the heli/airplane boards, you can find more opinions on CSRC. They seem to be generally well-liked, and have a range of LiPo products other than batteries. I give them big points for putting the cells in a case for car use. It seems to me that they get it, and realize a car is a bad place for a soft battery.
Thanks for all the input.

Now can anyone tell me how many amps a Novak 13.5 can pull?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I usually pull out 700-900 mAh in a 5 minute race with a 13.5. So let's assume 1000 mAh. In fact let's assume 1100 mAh because it's makes the math easier. This means you're draining the pack in 20 minutes, thus your "C" rating is 3C (60 minutes / 20 minutes). That is to say, your average C rating is 3C or 3 * 4.4A = 13.2A average draw. The pack is rated for 10C average discharge (44A) so you're totally fine on the average draw.

What's more difficult is determining the peak C. I really don't know how to go about determining it. My hunch is that you're fine. It seems to allow you to burst to 66A / 15C and I really doubt you're anywhere near that with a 13.5.

EDIT: Sometimes there's a tendency to look at the older generation (such as 10C lipos) and sputter about they're dangerous and not rated high enough just because now 20C ratings are common. Sometimes the same people used to claim that 5C was bad and 10C was heaven. I see this happen in a lot of areas of R/C. That said, a 20C pack is certainly playing it safer and there's something to be said for that.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the Orion / Peak 4800 because it's very proven. You can wait a week

EDIT EDIT: You're draining your pack in 15 minutes, so your average draw is actually 4C, not 3C.

Last edited by Arboleda; 08-24-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

don't get to caught up on the c rating on the lipo's. Depending on your application 44 amps equals 440 watts. So if you're not going above that you'll be fine with that battery.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have that same pack and have no problems running it in my B4 with a Novak GTB and 5.5r motor. Our track is a medium/short dusty track, 5 min heats and main. The temperature on it doesn't change at all during a race. I charge it at 4.4A with my Duratrax Ice charger and LBA6 balancer.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Lots of good information. Well I was looking to buy 2 lipo packs. The next one I buy will be an Orion/Peak.

Arboleda,

Yes..yes...I could have waited..but what fun is that.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mattnin
I have that same pack and have no problems running it in my B4 with a Novak GTB and 5.5r motor. Our track is a medium/short dusty track, 5 min heats and main. The temperature on it doesn't change at all during a race. I charge it at 4.4A with my Duratrax Ice charger and LBA6 balancer.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Unhappy

So I got home was looking at my car and thinking of mounting options. THEN I was not paying attention to the banana plug from my ESC. The banana plug touched the balancing plug socket and POOF. SMOKE!!! I am so pi$$ed at myself. This was not a LIPO blowing up issue. So I just wasted $100. Someone shoot me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.