Search
Like Tree2Likes

GM Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker
just got my GM90G2 and have a few questions. First off, I have not actually ran the car on the ground yet as its 4:30am and dont want to wake anyone up, plus the best place to test would be the track

1) sometimes the reset usb button doesn't retrieve info from esc to PC. Is this a common occurrence? Seems like I have to do the following a few times before it seems to work:
'fix port'
'receive data'
press usb button

the button is working cos everytime I push it the lights go off

2) using software AS 1.6.3 and updated esc with firmware 11.1 im a little dumbfounded with a few settings.

in particular the modes of 7 & 9. Modes 7 seems to have a more aggressive nature and 9 looks soft in comparison.

mode 7, timing with sensors 30, powercurve 7(soft tim3), fixed timing 30
mode 9, timing with sensors 0, powercurve 0(no timing) fixed timing 15

That didnt look right, so I reflashed the esc with 11.1 again and its the same settings.

Is this not correct?

I'm pretty sure before I updated to 11.1 that mode 9 looked to be the most aggressive with timing powercurve 11 or 13, not 0 as it currently looks.

I apologize if this sounds dumb as its my 1st day with the GM.

How do I do a factory reset? Will the reset revert back to firmware 10?
Hacker,

Glad to see your new toy arrived before your weekend event

I find click on the "receive data" then connect to the USB port on GM work 9/10 times for that 1 time just click the button for about 4 seconds I guess.

Once you flash upgrade to 11.1 you MUST do a factory reset to see the new profiles.

Profile 9 has a nice Middle Additonal timing (9.5-13.5t) in a nice linea power curve.

My first test was with 10.5 and it was a weapon on these setting with around 6.3FDR. Since found out I could have gone a lot lower in FDR.

I am testing the profile available for download from gm-racing.de which martin posted up, this uses the switchpoint software so back to back tests this evening see which one I like the feel of.

Alex
Old 03-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris_dono
To do a factory reset (assuming you've not done one after flashing the firmware)
press the set button to go into the mode selection, then instead of moving the transmitter to change to mode 1/2/3 etc press and hold the button again until it resets.

After you flashed to 11.1, did you do a reset ? you need to do one to see the new settings in mode 9.
Its all good now
I didn't realize I had to hold in the button for about 8sec until it did the reset.

Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson
Hacker,

Glad to see your new toy arrived before your weekend event

I find click on the "receive data" then connect to the USB port on GM work 9/10 times for that 1 time just click the button for about 4 seconds I guess.

Once you flash upgrade to 11.1 you MUST do a factory reset to see the new profiles.

Profile 9 has a nice Middle Additonal timing (9.5-13.5t) in a nice linea power curve.

My first test was with 10.5 and it was a weapon on these setting with around 6.3FDR. Since found out I could have gone a lot lower in FDR.

I am testing the profile available for download from gm-racing.de which martin posted up, this uses the switchpoint software so back to back tests this evening see which one I like the feel of.

Alex
im surprised it got here so quick! Took only 6 days from the time I placed the order online.

I'm also surprised mode 9 doesnt come with powercurve 13 which is the hardest timing for stock motors.

going to do some testing now for a couple of hours, hopefully can get a good setting before sundays race.

Also, can you only select modes with the transmitter?
as when I try to change modes through AS Genius Tool, a warning prompt pops up, followed by another prompt, I click 'yes' to both, and then its asking me to select a file
Old 03-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Setting modes on GM speedo

Dont fool around with the mode settings in the software.. If you click "Yes" and "Yes", you may have changed the factory settings.. Martin can tell how to put them back the right way.

To set modes use the Transmitter! Push the button on the speedo for 3-4 seconds and wait for 1 beep. Then pull the trigger to full gas (you will hear 1 beep) then push it to brake.. (you hear the second beep) .. etc etc.. If you are at the mode you want, keep your trigger at that point. (10 seconds or so) Then you hear the amount of beeps from that mode (9 beeps=mode 9).

Now you can release the trigger to neutral and you can drive.

The transmitter is not only setting the mode, it also sets the trigger reach.. so make sure the throttle and brake settings are 100%!! Transmitter data can also be stored seperately on the PC. Now you can copy gda files from other drivers and load your own transmitter settings so it works. (correct me if i am wrong)

Greetz Vincent

PS. Little question for Martin Hofer: Your new Stock setting gda. (on the GM website) shows mode 2 for a 13.5 motor! Why is this?? why not 9??
Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

answers in blue
Originally Posted by Bro0100
Dont fool around with the mode settings in the software.. If you click "Yes" and "Yes", you may have changed the factory settings.. Martin can tell how to put them back the right way.
it would just seem easier if you could change modes in the AS software if you already have the laptop already hooked up.

To set modes use the Transmitter! Push the button on the speedo for 3-4 seconds and wait for 1 beep. Then pull the trigger to full gas (you will hear 1 beep) then push it to brake.. (you hear the second beep) .. etc etc.. If you are at the mode you want, keep your trigger at that point. (10 seconds or so) Then you hear the amount of beeps from that mode (9 beeps=mode 9).

Now you can release the trigger to neutral and you can drive.
thanks, I already know how to set modes with TX

The transmitter is not only setting the mode, it also sets the trigger reach.. so make sure the throttle and brake settings are 100%!! Transmitter data can also be stored seperately on the PC. Now you can copy gda files from other drivers and load your own transmitter settings so it works. (correct me if i am wrong)

Greetz Vincent

PS. Little question for Martin Hofer: Your new Stock setting gda. (on the GM website) shows mode 2 for a 13.5 motor! Why is this?? why not 9??
cant you just make up a new stock setting and save it onto any of the modes 0-9, which I guess martin has done and overwritten it on mode2
Martin, why is your stock settings with powercurve 0- no timing?

Last edited by hacker; 03-26-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Default brakes

how can I get more brakes? using 11.1

I know its not my motor cos I used a sxx ss and my tekin yesterday with that same motor, and I had to turn down my epa to prevent wheel lock up.

TX calibration was done with 100 epa. Red light comes on to indicate full brakes. Although sometimes the brake lights play up bit. Instead of red coming on on max brake, sometimes the green comes on, which is weird. I sense that 11.1 is abit buggy.

turning up the brake epa after I do the TX modes thingy didnt help.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson
Question about Fixed Timing on the AS 1.6.3,

When set to 20 in fixed timing, also if the timing on the motor is set to 5 degrees will that mean overall timing to be 25 degrees. Does the GM 120 v2 11.1 use Dynamic Timing in Switchpoint mode?

Is this setting only enabled when running in Switchpoint software?

Does anyone have advice on AMP limit? seems an old feature how does this work.

Thanks
Alex
bump on alex's questions, but I would assume lower AMP limit value for mod motors and higher AMP limit value for stock motors. I believe 200 is the factory settings.

I need to print out different mode log datas to compare which settings do what.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hacker,
Read back a few pages - the brakes are speed dependent, failing that turn up the values slightly in the software for Brake Min and Brake Max.

I run 35% brake min and 85% brake max with 0 autobrake, someone else i know runs 40 min and 100 max.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bro0100
The Stock program for v11.1 was based on Mode 2 as well so i guess there is a reason!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

answers in blue

Martin, why is your stock settings with powercurve 0- no timing?
I believe the timing advance is applied in a different way and not using powercurves, but Martin will be able to answer this fully. If im correct its done using the fixed timing and Max timing sliders as well as timing 1 and 2.

I imagine he's a little busy at the LRP touring car masters at the moment!

Last edited by Toblerone; 03-26-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Tech Addict

I know its not my motor cos I used a sxx ss and my tekin yesterday with that same motor, and I had to turn down my epa to prevent wheel lock up.

TX calibration was done with 100 epa. Red light comes on to indicate full brakes. Although sometimes the brake lights play up bit. Instead of red coming on on max brake, sometimes the green comes on, which is weird. I sense that 11.1 is abit buggy.

turning up the brake epa after I do the TX modes thingy didnt help.
read the data from the controller in and adjust the brakes using the pc software, standard is 20 I think.. I normally use around 40, but you can choose between high speed and low speed brakes, how much brake, how much drag brake, and how aggressive the brakes are using the pc software.
Leave your EPA at 100%
Old 03-26-2010, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

seems like I need a degree to understand this speed control

I'm reading it over and over and I still dont understand the braking section. Seems the english manual is not completely english

here are some of my values
softbrake = 200
time to full brake = 20
brakemin = 30
brakemax = 90
fullbrake = 90

so basically what I want is to set up the speedy to lock up the wheels, then I
will back it off from the transmitter.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

seems like I need a degree to understand this speed control

I'm reading it over and over and I still dont understand the braking section. Seems the english manual is not completely english

here are some of my values
softbrake = 200
time to full brake = 20
brakemin = 30
brakemax = 90
fullbrake = 90

so basically what I want is to set up the speedy to lock up the wheels, then I
will back it off from the transmitter.
yeah... don't do that

set the brakemin and brakemax (initial and full brake)
fullbrake = brakes when you slam the stick
there's a tickbox for "new brake software" if you tick it, the brakes are sharper at high speed, unticked they're sharper at low speed
Old 03-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chris_dono
yeah... don't do that

set the brakemin and brakemax (initial and full brake)
fullbrake = brakes when you slam the stick
there's a tickbox for "new brake software" if you tick it, the brakes are sharper at high speed, unticked they're sharper at low speed
"new brake software " is for drag brakes at high speed isnt it?
So if you tick it, it will give you a softer drag brake setting, at high speed!

New brake software :

If this function is aktivated, the brake feeling for the automatic brake at high speed is softer.
automatic in english is drag brake I assume.

There are alot of areas in the manual/help which is very hard to understand, unless your german
Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

There are alot of areas in the manual/help which is very hard to understand, unless your german
some of the stuff takes a bit of figuring out, yes. best thing i can suggest is to run once with it on, then once with it off and see which you prefer.

personally i run with it on and i use 0 drag brake...
Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+1
It takes time with the Genius. I've been using one in various versions for quite some time now and I'm still finding new stuff to play with. It is far advanced past the other speedos, but the new version is much easier to set if you are new to it.

There is a separate check box for new brake software for automatic brake. So you have a choice of high and low speed brake for both manual and drag brake.

For example if you have a fast sweeper at the end of the straight and a tight infield you can set a decent drag brake for the technical section but also have it not too harsh when you're diving into the sweeper at speed.

If you feel the need for lock up type brakes like the SPX then use a GM motor with 12.5mm red rotor. It gives twice the brakes. 13.5T no.97303, 10.5T no.97305. The rotor itself is no.97286.3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.