Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
who is socalbomber protecting with no additional info? Or is he proving that he can generate some buzz with one solitary post??!!??
I'm guessing he's protecting nobody. He's some noob that had no idea what would happen when posting this and hasn't been back to check. Too ignorant to be malicious.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
Yeah seen that acouple times happened at vegas and snowbirds. Correct me if I'm wrong did the same thing happen that caught the room on fire at Cleveland. Everything has risks.
The one that happened at Vegas last year was no fault of the cells. The pack got pushed against a metal case integy charger and dead shorted the pack to point of explosion. It was not charging at the time or even had any leads connected to it. Someone sat in the guys pit and just pushed the pack out of the way and into the charger. I wish I could have been there for it though, I heard it was pretty dramatic. I was at dinner with my wife at the time.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by or8ital
I second that. Having been next to an IB4200 explosion but not next to an Orion Lipo fire. At least I can run away from a fire.
You can run from the fire and watch all you belongings burn in flames.Now have no home or hobbyshop.Think work both ways.Saying a "fire" is better is giving me a headache.Really you mean that.Have you seen one go up in flames?Your right you will have time to run but if it happens at your house, hope you can run fast enough to save the wife, kids, dogs, cats and as much belongings you can.Then while living in a shelter you can say at least it didn't shoot across the room.

Again I am not against lipos but they are dangerous.I have been reading alot on these boards and it seems the lipo guys dont like to acknowledge this point.Nihm guys say this and get blasted for saying it.The odds of something really bad happening are higher with lipos.Both are dangerous but a lipo mistake is alot worse.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bus driver
You can run from the fire and watch all you belongings burn in flames.Now have no home or hobbyshop.Think work both ways.Saying a "fire" is better is giving me a headache.Really you mean that.Have you seen one go up in flames?Your right you will have time to run but if it happens at your house, hope you can run fast enough to save the wife, kids, dogs, cats and as much belongings you can.Then while living in a shelter you can say at least it didn't shoot across the room.

Again I am not against lipos but they are dangerous.I have been reading alot on these boards and it seems the lipo guys dont like to acknowledge this point.Nihm guys say this and get blasted for saying it.The odds of something really bad happening are higher with lipos.Both are dangerous but a lipo mistake is alot worse.
Actually what seems to happen a lot is exactly like this thread. People post fire claims without any info, lipo supporters ask the questions to get more info, people claim that means we belittle the danger. Believe me we know the danger but I won't accept any story without some form of detail whether it's about lipo, nimh, solar power etc.

Why is it nobody ever bothers to post pictures of these things. The only video you ever seem to find is forced ignition of the pack.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hahahaha good to see everyones humor.sorry for not posting further details....as some of us have girls to party with!!!well,good to see theres people on here who just have the worst to say about someone they dont even know.i call these people internet thugs,the ones who never got a hug when they were young.

as for the situation,i bought a mini rc helicopter that came with lipo batts.it came with a charger but i dont think it had a cutoff on it.looks like a charger for a motorola cell phone.ive included some pics of the burn on my floor and a picture of the batt b4 it lit up like a roman candle.i followed all instructions on charging.i was posting this to just let you all know to be carefull.the ones who called me a noob....i hope this doesnt happen to you.its a scary thing because there is no way to stop the burn until it simmers out.good luck all and party with some girls and not with internet thugs!!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

woops pics
Attached Thumbnails BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!-pic_0026.jpg   BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!-pic_0028.jpg  
Old 08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bus driver
Have you been next to an exploded nimh? I can tell you without a doubt I would rather lose all my belonging then die. If you want to talk in extremes (burning down a house) then lets talk about the extremes of a nimh flying across the room and hitting someone in the head. If it goes through a piece of plywood I can guarentee the results of it hitting a skull wouldnt be good.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kuzo
Actually what seems to happen a lot is exactly like this thread. People post fire claims without any info, lipo supporters ask the questions to get more info, people claim that means we belittle the danger. Believe me we know the danger but I won't accept any story without some form of detail whether it's about lipo, nimh, solar power etc.

Why is it nobody ever bothers to post pictures of these things. The only video you ever seem to find is forced ignition of the pack.

This sounds like a cigarett company.Show me proof that smoking causes cancer.I got lung cancer from smoking.I smoked for 20yrs cigg company say show me proof they my product did this."I cant I say" well then there is no proof they did it.Just because there is no picture does not mean it didn't happen

.If your lipo was to burst into flames.PLEASE PLEASE the first thing you should do is grab your camera and take a picture or some vid of the fire for us.The problem I see is that is gonna be the last thing on your mind at that moment.Putting out the fire seems to be the better option.LOL
Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default the truth is revealed

True rc racers only race, they don't hang with anyone other than fellow racers.

So the lipo that burned up was a heli battery that had a cheap charger. The charger probably developed a short or a fault and didn't stop charging. This has nothing to do with quality lipo cells and good chargers.

I am still waiting for 1 case anywhere of an orion encased lipo going up in flames. I don't even need photo proof, just 1 reputable racer who followed the instructions (not the cell puffed up and I decided to put it into a hot area, or I overdischaged it and it puffed up, and then I charged it and it caught fire,) telling a plausible story.

P.S. Socalbomber, don't let the girl in your avator smoke near lipos, they might burn up.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by or8ital
Have you been next to an exploded nimh? I can tell you without a doubt I would rather lose all my belonging then die. If you want to talk in extremes (burning down a house) then lets talk about the extremes of a nimh flying across the room and hitting someone in the head. If it goes through a piece of plywood I can guarentee the results of it hitting a skull wouldnt be good.
You are very correct.The whole time I have said all batterys are dangerous.I agree if I had to choose I would rather run also then get hit by a flying missle.My point is that it is more likely that the lipo goes up in flames and does damage then nihm.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

yea...that was my first thought.seeing i live at my moms house id hate to hear her screaming:wtf is your problem...you think your a movie producer?why didnt you turn the fire off,why did you make a vedio....ohhhh god my stuff is gone:

thats a bad thought.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

biolljacobs,that girl is fine...if she wants to smoke near lipos let her!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default nimh

On The other hand, many people have seen nimh blow up, and again it was due to:
1) shorting the battery
2) overcharging the battery
3) charging an obviously damaged battery.

Whether r/c racers like it or not, nimh will slowly die off. Brushed motors will die off too, but it will probably take longer.

All of the lipo bashers, have you actually tried an orion/peak lipo? Did you miss the discharging, equalizing, maintenance, etc that nimh require? Did you not like talking with your buddies at the track instead of working on your batteries?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

everyone!!!!im just saying be carefull!!!thats all!!!who cares if it was a charger batt,etc....be freeking carefull.god forbid your garage goes up in smoke with all your 1000's of dollars in rc stuff.if it does happen youll be sayingoooohhhhh god bless socal..why didnt i heed his words..why,why!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by socalbomber
as for the situation,i bought a mini rc helicopter that came with lipo batts.
Dude! This is the on-road electric car thread, not the electric heli thread. Yes, you did have a bad experience with lipos, but not in the context that most of us here deal with lipo batteries and electric touring cars.

Cheap wall charger vs pro charger - apples and oranges...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.