Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kuzo
What you just said is exactly why the info is so important. I know they're dangerous and I am always on the lookout for problems others may be having with the same stuff I'm using. I don't know why simple requests for more info get met with such derision.

For the record, I said nothing about his noob status, spelling or haircut (just playing Socal). I only requested details.

I understand what you are saying and I am not singleing you out by anymeans.For a lurkers point of view everytime I have seen a post like this the vast majority of lipo users get bent out of shape.

Probably 99% of the users on this board use the proper equipment to have a safe working lipo.Now 99% of the people on this board is like.0002% of the lipos users the hooby has.The vet racer is gonna use the top of the line batts and charger because of knowledge.The parent of a 14yr kid wants to get him into the hobby and see's that he can get the cheaper lipo batt and charger and there is the problems.At home or now at the track for there first time.

I understand they are as safe as the users.The users on this board most likely are not gonna have problem or see them themselfs at the track.We are racers and we are very small % in the hobby.Very small.The heli in question would be purchased mostly by whom?Most likely someone just getting into the hobby or parents buying for there kids.Kids dont have the atennntion span like the weekly racer.Mistake happen and when they happen with lipos it usally is really bad news.

that all my point was.Thanks for keeping it civil.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Those of you that say one battery type blows up while another doesn't are just ignorant. If you knew anything on how batteries work you would know that basically a cell is used to contain controlled chemical reactions and when either the cell structure or the equipment used to charge fail you WILL have an explosion and perhaps even fire. It's basic chemistry and has nothing to do with Brand X, Y or Z.

Perhaps his post was in an inapropriate place but none the less he shouldn't be attacked for not providing "GUTS" as Mr.Pitbull posted.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So, this is just another half-ass scary LiPo story without any facts then?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by syndr0me
So without his proof of fire you say lipos are not dangerous?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamButter
Those of you that say one battery type blows up while another doesn't are just ignorant.
I dont think anyone has or is saying that. I think people are saying there are safeguards that can be built into lipo batteries to make them safer when there is an issue (such as what Orion has done).
Old 08-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

No we got the facts. Same thing could happen with any cheap lipo/charger combo. It reinforces the need for quality packs for our purposes at least.

For myself, I would have crapped my pants if I had that happen. All I can do is reiterate to everyone - never leave any battery unattended during charging/discharging. Seems like socal took care of that end of things.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by or8ital
I dont think anyone has or is saying that. I think people are saying there are safeguards that can be built into lipo batteries to make them safer when there is an issue (such as what Orion has done).
YEAH BABY AND IN SO FEW WORDS! YEAH BABY
Old 08-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

SoCal, if you replace the heli may I recommend this:

http://www.liposack.com
Old 08-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bus driver
So without his proof of fire you say lipos are not dangerous?
Oh no, not at all, I believe him. I get the impression he used cheap LiPo, cheap charger, and no kind of bunker for any of it. It's unfortunate, and I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt. But he apparently broke three rules of safe LiPo usage, so what am I supposed to do, gasp and pretend I'm shocked?

I think you'll find many of the people in favor of LiPo only use cells with safer chemistry. And for people that insist on using the cheaper cells, they should take precautions with them, like charging and storing them in a bunker, and not using a $2 Radio Shack charger.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

This is a story I read

I just lost my car (a '99 Lexus LX 470, two planes, and lots of personal stuff) to a LiPo problem.

I flew my S&B 152 with Lipos for the first time today. The LiPo vendor shall be unnamed for now. The plane augered in, I picked up the pieces and placed them on the back seat of my car, AFTER disconnecting the batteries.

I go to fly my 3D (with NiMH). 3 minutes into the flight I hear "your car is on fire". I turn around and my car is in flames, a total loss within 5 minutes by the time the fire truck came.

The only thought I have is when the plane augered in, the LiPos shorted internally. Note I carried it a hundred yards or so with no signs of a short, no heat, no problems. Once they shorted, they ignited and the car was toast.

Luckily the dog in the back jumped out when the fire started.

Gone are my car, my S&B 152, my charger (a new Schulze 636+), and my Firecat along with 4 8x1100 NiMH packs, two 3S2P LiPo packs, two 8xFAUP packs. And lots of personal stuff like a pilot's license, medical, credit cards, ... . This sucks big time.

No one was hurt. Thank the powers that be.

LiPo technology is DANGEROUS. Use at your own risk.

Last edited by bus driver; 08-22-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here is the main reason why Li-Po's are dangerous...Lithium itself is a highly combustible Alkaline hence its propensity to blow small scale r/c helicopters into oblivion. All batteries have their inherent risks but perhaps Lithium is just not good for OUR application...

Effects of exposure to Lithium: Fire: Flammable. Many reactions may cause fire or explosion. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. Explosion: Risk of fire and explosion on contact with combustible substances and water. Inhalation: Burning sensation. Cough. Laboured breathing. Shortness of breath. Sore throat. Symptoms may be delayed. Skin: Redness. Skin burns. Pain. Blisters. Eyes: Redness. Pain. Severe deep burns. Ingestion: Abdominal cramps. Abdominal pain. Burning sensation. Nausea. Shock or collapse. Vomiting. Weakness.

Effects of short-term exposure: The substance is corrosive to the eyes, the skin and the respiratory tract. Corrosive on ingestion. Inhalation of the substance may cause lung oedema. The symptoms of lung oedema often do not become manifest until a few hours have passed and they are aggravated by physical effort. Rest and medical observation is therefore essential. Immediate administration of an appropriate spray, by a doctor or a person authorized by him/her, should be considered.

Routes of exposure: The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its aerosol and by ingestion. Inhalation risk: Evaporation at 20°C is negligible; a harmful concentration of airborne particles can, however, be reached quickly when dispersed.

Chemical dangers: Heating may cause violent combustion or explosion. The substance may spontaneously ignite on contact with air when finely dispersed. Upon heating, toxic fumes are formed. Reacts violently with strong oxidants, acids and many compounds (hydrocarbons, halogens, halons, concrete, sand and asbestos) causing fire and explosion hazard. Reacts violently with water, forming highly flammable hydrogen gas and corrosive fumes of lithium hydroxide.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Well at least it has half the side effects of Paragon
Tech Apprentice

Oh no, not at all, I believe him. I get the impression he used cheap LiPo, cheap charger, and no kind of bunker for any of it. It's unfortunate, and I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt. But he apparently broke three rules of safe LiPo usage, so what am I supposed to do, gasp and pretend I'm shocked?

I think you'll find many of the people in favor of LiPo only use cells with safer chemistry. And for people that insist on using the cheaper cells, they should take precautions with them, like charging and storing them in a bunker, and not using a $2 Radio Shack charger.

The problem with that is there is no regulation that makes the company to make them safe.So your neighbor can have acheap one,someone across from you pitting.Untill there is some regs their will be to many problems.Walk up to someone in your local hobby store when they are purchasing the first car if they know the difference between orion batts and brand b batts.I think you will already know the answer.Listen to the hobby store worker.Are they just selling the stuff or are they warning customers of the danger of other brand.Most likely not.They want to sell products.there is a store here that sells them yet does not allow them at thier track.huh doesnt make sense to me.
Tech Lord

Butter is right, all batteries are potentially dangerous by their very nature. Increased awareness about proper storage and use of any type of battery is a good thing.

We have seen in LiPo, at least, that some companies are willing to adjust their chemistry to make the cells as safe as possible. Arguably, a Kokam LiPo is much safer cell than today's NiMH. So, at the very least, some of the LiPo companies appear to be very proactive about safety, while the latest batch of NiMH cells are perhaps the most dangerous we've ever seen.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bus driver
The problem with that is there is no regulation that makes the company to make them safe.So your neighbor can have acheap one,someone across from you pitting.Untill there is some regs their will be to many problems.Walk up to someone in your local hobby store when they are purchasing the first car if they know the difference between orion batts and brand b batts.I think you will already know the answer.Listen to the hobby store worker.Are they just selling the stuff or are they warning customers of the danger of other brand.Most likely not.They want to sell products.there is a store here that sells them yet does not allow them at thier track.huh doesnt make sense to me.
Our track regulates them. Orion only. I dont believe they sell any other car lipo batteries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.