R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Novak 13.5 / GTB / Xray 007 gearing question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/177796-novak-13-5-gtb-xray-007-gearing-question.html)

racer34v 08-19-2007 05:07 PM

Novak 13.5 / GTB / Xray 007 gearing question

Dont flame me.... i did searches already but couldnt find what i am looking for.... ran today an with a 38/112 (most pinion i could fit with that spur) motor was only 90 deg at the end of 6 mins. It needed more legs on the long shoot but had plenty of snot through the infeild.

What gearing is common on foams? What spurs do i need to get that are thin enough that the screws wont hit the topdeck? Should i goto 48pitch?

Thanks!!!
Alan

ckearns 08-19-2007 05:43 PM

Alan,

Check out nexusracing.net.

RW makes a 108 and a 110 tooth spur that 'look' like they'll fit. Careful when you browse, as there is a 2 hole mount and a 6 hole mount that both have the big bore holes for mounting the motor through it. You'll need to get the 6 hole version.

Disclaimer: I've currently got both on order and already have a range of pinions running from 39 to 45 teeth, but have not fit tested the gears yet, so I'm still not sure if they'll fit in the car properly without modification.

I'm not sure just yet on how low I can get the FDR, but this should help. I'm getting crushed on the straightaways by mi3 and rdx cars running brushless setups where they can get their FDR down to the low 4's where the XRay gear simply won't go below 5.01 without cutting things I'm not comfortable with cutting. 108/42*1.7 will put it down to a 4.37, so that should generate some extra top end.

I'm figuring the highest total tooth count that will fit is 150, so I still need to seek out a 104t spur. Going to 48* probably won't help due to the requirement to mount the motor through the spur... Haven't seen one built like that in all my searching.

However it plays out, I'll make an update here. I should know in the next few days.

Thanks,
Chris

ldp787 08-19-2007 05:59 PM

007 brushless gearing help

Check out precisionracingsystems.com, they have spurs that will bolt right on. You'll just need 3 shorter countersunk screws. Myself and a few other guys bought brushless setups late last year and used this and works without a flaw.

What we used PRS6496PLT 64 pitch 96 tooth pro-lite spur. Allows for a really tall pinion. I dremeled (not much) a little bit of the bulk head to allow for an even larger spur. I purchased some of their large spurs, it's quality stuff no crap.

Hope this helps.

racer34v 08-19-2007 06:04 PM

Thanks for the info chris,

The lhs had a relatively limited selection, I picked up a PRS 100 tooth just to try and get radical to establish some limits but it was too thick and the button head screws hit the left rear bulkead so i didnt get to try it out, I will be able to counterbore the screw holes and test it next time i go.

I see your point on potential troubles tightening the motor with 48 pitch gears.

I have thought about making my own custom bulkhead with more mesh adjustment travel

Thanks for the help, i'll be ordering some spurs this week to try!!
Alan

adamge 08-19-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ckearns (Post 3595665)
I'm not sure just yet on how low I can get the FDR, but this should help. I'm getting crushed on the straightaways by mi3 and rdx cars running brushless setups where they can get their FDR down to the low 4's where the XRay gear simply won't go below 5.01 without cutting things I'm not comfortable with cutting. 108/42*1.7 will put it down to a 4.37, so that should generate some extra top end.

Why is it the car's fault that you are failing to put on a smaller spur? I'm running a 100t in my 007.

ottoman 08-19-2007 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by racer34v (Post 3595728)
Thanks for the info chris,

The lhs had a relatively limited selection, I picked up a PRS 100 tooth just to try and get radical to establish some limits but it was too thick and the button head screws hit the left rear bulkead so i didnt get to try it out, I will be able to counterbore the screw holes and test it next time i go.

Alan

All the current PRS (touring lightweight) spurs are countersunk and have no problems fitting the 007. I am running the 100 tooth with my 13.5
Your LHS might have had a old style spur.

racer34v 08-20-2007 05:07 AM

ottoman, it must have been an oldie , now its updated :tire:

ckearns 08-20-2007 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by adamge (Post 3596170)
Why is it the car's fault that you are failing to put on a smaller spur? I'm running a 100t in my 007.

<restraint>
Nice flame bait.
</restraint>

Are you also running a PRS lightweight touring gear or is there another manufacturer that also makes them?

Thanks,
Chris

racer34v 08-20-2007 12:23 PM

chris- i countersinked my 100t precision that i picked up this weekend at work today and now it fits fine...! (with using flat head screws instread of buttonheads)

i also ordered a couple 96t from precisions site, nice site - easy to use and they take paypal!!

adamge 08-20-2007 04:50 PM

This is my 100t/64 spur: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4200&search=Go
Time and effort with a drill press were required.

nashrcracer 08-20-2007 09:20 PM

I run a 108/46 , the 108 is a pancar spur from kimbrough as I'm running 88 and 92 on the 12th scale now, on my T2 with 2.13 foams. it's about a 42.5MM roll out. some guys have had better luck with 40.5 but every brushless motor has a different power band mine just likes the high end. when I get to a 43 roll out it loses it's legs on the 70 foot straight we have. it would probably not fall off as much with a 42 flat but I get smoked on the straight and I like to cook em! ESC comes off at 125F and motor off at 150F reminds me of the old days and 40 degree timing on 19t motors and them coming off the track at 300 degrees. one run and done.

Ted B. 08-21-2007 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by racer34v (Post 3595559)
Dont flame me.... i did searches already but couldnt find what i am looking for.... ran today an with a 38/112 (most pinion i could fit with that spur) motor was only 90 deg at the end of 6 mins. It needed more legs on the long shoot but had plenty of snot through the infeild.

What gearing is common on foams? What spurs do i need to get that are thin enough that the screws wont hit the topdeck? Should i goto 48pitch?

Thanks!!!
Alan

Did you ever get that back straight speed? I've got the same problem with mine.... very quick in the infield and no back straight speed.

racer34v 08-21-2007 07:37 AM

i havent had a chance to run it since i put the smaller spur in, i am certain i will be happier though!