Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
whats the diffrence between brushed engines and brushless? >

whats the diffrence between brushed engines and brushless?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

whats the diffrence between brushed engines and brushless?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
You can hook it direct. The third wire is polarity.
Now that I think about it more. There is no spark, so the speed control may be converting the DC power in some way.??
I believe that's correct. The reason why you can't use a brushed ESC with brushless motors is because a brushless ESC has to energize each individual section of the stator(that's the sets of windings in the can) seperately in order to make it move, & just hooking it up to power can't do that(& brushed ESC's just turn on & off, really, it's just the frequency of it turning off & on that determines how fast the motor will go). Also, you don't have to spend as much money as BlackedOutRevo suggested, in fact you can find a complete brushless system(motor & ESC) for as little as $180(namely, Novak's XBR speed control & EX-Series BL motor combo, check out prices on those at Tower Hobbies, if they have them in stock yet), should be a GREAT way to get started with brushless, & the motor can also be upgraded later when finances permit(those motors come with a bonded rotor, which is not as efficient as the latest sintered ones, & they also run hotter so you have to be careful about gearing them, but geared right they're still strong & will get you going till you can buy a sintered rotor, then it should be near bulletproof). Brushless motors ARE indeed the future, & at many tracks, they're already being accepted, even in stock classes(we're finally allowing them at my track, so now I can just concentrate on gearing, car setup & driving, definitely much less hassle now)....
Old 08-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by parnelli97
It almost sounds more like a stepper motor, it sends feedback to the ESC as to it's position and that allows the ESC to respond... I don't know much about BL but I'm trying to learn, because I'm building a few drag cars and I want SPEED!!! The catch is even BL isn't fast enough stock.
I would say the BL will with stand as much battery as you can put to it though. Maybe a Mamba speedo or even a aveox speedo.?
Old 08-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Slightly off topic but I found this place. The cheapest BL setups I've ever seen.
http://www.b-p-p.com/index.php?PHPSE...7da1ac1c0b5aeb
I don't work for them, or get any kick-backs but DANG they have some cheap prices
Old 08-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Tech Lord

Those are serious low prices. Wow.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

ok back to the topic, what would be the fastest BL motor?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by parnelli97
ok back to the topic, what would be the fastest BL motor?
I would have to say the voltage would make the difference, the more voltage the faster it will go. All the manufacturers have a fast motor.
Some guys have batteries pushing 14.4 volts. Wow thats gotta be fast.?