R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Motor Heat Sinks - Good or Bad? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/176931-motor-heat-sinks-good-bad.html)

Eggyolkeo 08-13-2007 11:17 PM

Motor Heat Sinks - Good or Bad?

These are becoming more and more popular I've noticed, but I can't help but think back to an article I read on heatsinks.

It said that if you use heatsink adhesive/compound, then you maintain the contact area and the heatsink works very effectively. But it also said that if the heatsink was merely resting on the metal (as in most cases with these slip-on heatsinks you can buy) then it can do worse than using no heatsink because it becomes heated, then re-radiates back onto the surface you're trying to keep cool.

Any thoughts on this?

It also said that varying colours will vary performance of the heatsink properties, the lighter the colour the better - or is this getting way too advanced for our simple purposes?

BlackedOutREVO 08-13-2007 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eggyolkeo (Post 3577974)
These are becoming more and more popular I've noticed, but I can't help but think back to an article I read on heatsinks.

It said that if you use heatsink adhesive/compound, then you maintain the contact area and the heatsink works very effectively. But it also said that if the heatsink was merely resting on the metal (as in most cases with these slip-on heatsinks you can buy) then it can do worse than using no heatsink because it becomes heated, then re-radiates back onto the surface you're trying to keep cool.

Any thoughts on this?

It also said that varying colours will vary performance of the heatsink properties, the lighter the colour the better - or is this getting way too advanced for our simple purposes?

When the heat sink has thermal compound on it to bond with the motor (in this case) it will work better... But a heat sink clipped on wont be worse

The LRP heat sink fan, That would be the best heat sink deal going:D to keep a motor cool with that will be no problem lol, and if there is, there is something very wrong

And colors will make a diff, how much? I dont think very much, but the best heat transfer color is black..

sosidge 08-14-2007 02:09 AM

Personally speaking I have found that a lot of the clip-on only heatsinks make little difference to motor temperature, partly because they are anodised a funky colour, partly because they do not actually make good contact with the can, and partly because they block air vents on the motors.

Your best bet would be to get hold of a matt black heatsink, remove the anbodising to increase heat transfer, remove the label and any finish from the motor to increase heat transfer, cut slots in the heatsink so air vents aren't blocked, then bond it on with thermal compound.

A heatsink like that may work but is not what is on the market right now. Also removing motor labels may cause you to fail scrutineering in some series.