Wiki Posts
Search

Gearing for Novak 13.5 to 13.0 rotor in Stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default So with this 13mm...

I have read it makes the motor respond like a higher turn motor. That said, if it makes the 5.5 more like a 4.5, in theory, will it make the 3.5 drive like a 2.5? I have always wanted to go plaid, but that would be downright scary. Oh, when will Novak come out with something for my 1/18th scale so I can ditch this Mamba? The Mamba is fast, but I want my entire fleet to be purple and orange!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 AM
The Evicerator

UN4Racing:

We still recommend that the motors are never run over 170 degrees F(temperature taken externally on whatever is the hottest part of the motor you check)

The best operating temperature is the lowest temperature! Heat = inefficiency...so the less heat you can have the better.

As far as what external temperature things start to fatigue at... I'd say you run the risk of fatiguing anywhere above 170 For so. There is always going to be a temperature gradient between the inside of the motor and the outside of the motor... that gradient depends on a number of different things such as ambient temperature, gearing, driving style, load on the motor, etc and it's really impossible to say for every situation what is too much...that's why we always recommend only going up to 170 degrees F.

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
I know it will with stand all kinds of hot temps but whats the temp that it begins to fatigue.
Whats the best operating temp. For its optimal performance.

Just curious.?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
I have read it makes the motor respond like a higher turn motor. That said, if it makes the 5.5 more like a 4.5, in theory, will it make the 3.5 drive like a 2.5? I have always wanted to go plaid, but that would be downright scary. Oh, when will Novak come out with something for my 1/18th scale so I can ditch this Mamba? The Mamba is fast, but I want my entire fleet to be purple and orange!

Dood, that not just a spaceballs reference. HA!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Myhre
Dood, that not just a spaceballs reference. HA!
Total Spaceballs plug. Just copped the enhanced DVD woo hoo. Anyways.....this 13mm rotor, dropping it in my 3.5, what can I expect? And if I didnt go ballistic with the gearing, will my runtimes stay the same? As the signature says, I gear to run and win not to thermal. Does it require you gear up to stretch the legs of the rotor or can you go up incrementaly to find the sweet spot???
Old 08-13-2007, 09:09 AM
The Evicerator

bxpitbull,

You're going to probably have to gear up a few teeth to get the top end out of the motor, but the bottom end response, brakes, and drag brakes should not only be stronger but more consistant and "natural" as well.

Yes the rotor gives you more power, but I think where it really shines is that it improves the drivability a bit as well.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
bxpitbull,

You're going to probably have to gear up a few teeth to get the top end out of the motor, but the bottom end response, brakes, and drag brakes should not only be stronger but more consistant and "natural" as well.

Yes the rotor gives you more power, but I think where it really shines is that it improves the drivability a bit as well.
Sounds like Novak is putting the final nail in the coffin for brushed motors Woo Hoo. What about the smaller scales? I know scaling down sensored stuff will probably "never happen", so can we look forward to Novak breaking the mold?

Last edited by bxpitbull; 08-13-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Hey Guys,

The intention of the 13mm Rotor is for Mod Racing. We're hoping tracks don't allow them in the "spec" racing because it starts a "motor/rotor" of the month club. The whole Idea of BL spec racing is that you buy a motor that is good for "years" of club racing.

The rotor has a small groove on the tappered section just befor the flat for the pinion, hopefully this is enough to allow tracks to do some Tech.

The manual's temp ranges are about spot on. We like to see the motors no hotter then 160-170F at the end of the run. That seems to be where the run the best. I'm sure at Some Tracks that is not true, but in general that is the case from our experience.

On a bit of a side note, and more to let everyone know the future of BL Spec Racing in general, Ourselves, and just about ALL the other BL manufactures are working with "the powers that be" to formulate a set of Spec BL rules that will allow a good fair base point to start the process of racing BL motors together. Hopefully these rules will be come to a close soon, and there will be a formula for all the manufactures to use to make a "spec" legal BL 13.5 and 10.5 motor. Part of these rules involved VERY tight tollerances, so all the motors will be virtually identical, and hopefully similar in power output. More then likely this will allow ONLY one size/type of rotor from each respective manufacture. This is all in the efforts to keep the cost down, and not need to own one of each motor.

Feel free to email us ANYTIME [email protected] , [email protected], or [email protected].
Old 08-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

What about brushless and Novak for my micrors4?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks for the update Charlie, it's very good to hear that you guys are working together to do something reasonable with the spec motors. I think that's what everybody has been hoping for all along.

You know there's no chance people aren't going to throw these rotors in their 13.5's. :-)
Old 08-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Lord

What about brushless and Novak for my micrors4?
Charlie comes here to deliver news that we've all been waiting for (about companies working together on a 13.5 solution) and you respond with a post about micro?! WTF? What's next, a question about their Novak branded My Little Pony?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Charlie comes here to deliver news that we've all been waiting for (about companies working together on a 13.5 solution) and you respond with a post about micro?! WTF? What's next, a question about their Novak branded My Little Pony?
Um, Syndrome, be easy. In case you didnt read, I want all of my electric cars to have a level of consistancy. I just bought a GTB for my Pro3, have a GTB set-up in my Pro4 and seeing that Steve and NOW Charlie has chimed in, I figured I would ask. I race my micro and figured why start a thread for it that they may or may not see. If I offended your beady little eyes, boo hoo!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Lord

Um, Syndrome, be easy. In case you didnt read, I want all of my electric cars to have a level of consistancy. I just bought a GTB for my Pro3, have a GTB set-up in my Pro4 and seeing that Steve and NOW Charlie has chimed in, I figured I would ask. I race my micro and figured why start a thread for it that they may or may not see. If I offended your beady little eyes, boo hoo!
Na, I'm not offended, it was just kind of surprising. You know, in a "I like turtles" sort of way.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Na, I'm not offended, it was just kind of surprising. You know, in a "I like turtles" sort of way.

you sonofabitch lol. That was good. I plan on getting the 13mm for both my whips and this micro thing has been on my mind for a hot ghetto minute. Wont waste any more time here. Will email them directly. If that was anyone else, I would have mirked (you know how I get down in the club lol).
Old 08-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Last edited by punkracer24; 08-13-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: l
Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the guys over at novak they are definitly on their game with this stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.