Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Freezing

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)
Default Motor Freezing

I heard about freezing your motor before racing the other night, I use checkpoint 19turn in a xray t2 was wondering does that really help.
is the any pro's and con's you guys might want to share on this?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It will start off cooler so in theory it would heat up slower and start to fade later. If you want to try it just take a can of air, turn it upside down and spray your motor just before you hit the track and see how it does for you.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Forget about spraying air, get a crazy rc motor cooler, this will get the motor that cold it will have ice on it, then on the line spray freezy spray onto the motor, the temps will be in the zeros, doing this I set the track lap record.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only cons I know of are excess condensation that drips off the motor. In Xray cars because the esc is so close to the motor there is a chance you could short your esc out, I know someone who had this happen. You just have to be careful.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Having the motor cooler will lower the internal resistance of the armature meaning it will be faster. Your 27 turn motor could act like it has a wind or so less. It will only last until it comes back up to temperature, maybe a lap or two. Is it really worth it. No not really. There are way more important things to being faster than freezing your motor. If you want to keep the motor from over heating a fan is sometimes used but if your chassis and driving are good you won't notice much if any fade in the run with out one. I always say if your car has a good setup on it you don't need a fan, at least on carpet anyway.

Paul
Old 08-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

A motor will only drop off performance if its gearing is out, or the cells are weak. Some people swear by running a fan, others dont.

It sounds like a lot of hard work just for 1 or 2 laps, so ive never considered freezing a motor.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

i always use much more motor cooler and it helping me so much
Old 08-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

could we have a case of over freezing the motor when not using a controled method like a can off air causing damage to the magnets or windings i am always looking for ways to cool my motor i am running brushless
so i am always looking to keep my motor cool
Old 08-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t4m1y4niac
i always use much more motor cooler and it helping me so much
how good is it does it actually freeze the motor do you see any difference in run time motor temp as oppose to not using it and what class are you running.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by barber
how good is it does it actually freeze the motor do you see any difference in run time motor temp as oppose to not using it and what class are you running.
The motor can get cold enough to get frost on it, and the runtime temps are much lower.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)

Thanks guys I think it is a gearing problem
Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default Cooler

For my stock, 19t and mod motors I use a MuchMore Motor Cooler, works great. For my silver cans and black cans, I seal them in a zip-loc bag and put them in a small cooler of salt water and ice.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by barber
could we have a case of over freezing the motor when not using a controled method like a can off air causing damage to the magnets or windings i am always looking for ways to cool my motor i am running brushless
so i am always looking to keep my motor cool

I would be careful with freezing a brushless motor, there are a lot more electronics to monitor the rotor than in a brushed one. with the sealed cans there is a possibility to get condensation on the sensors and this can decrease performance or possibly stop the motor
Old 08-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ford_racing
I would be careful with freezing a brushless motor, there are a lot more electronics to monitor the rotor than in a brushed one. with the sealed cans there is a possibility to get condensation on the sensors and this can decrease performance or possibly stop the motor
True, but there are ways to get it done safely(to a degree). I found that while we were running the Novak 13.5 here with the bonded rotor(they forced us to do that, so they'd be closer in performance to a brushed stock motor), if you geared it right for the track layout, it would DEFINITELY overheat, no one could find a gearing that'd allow it to stay cool enough to avoid a thermal shutdown. So after some experimenting, I ended up first adding Novak's own heatsink to the motor, & then using a freezing spray on the heatsink(& ONLY the heatsink) right before a run, & THAT finally allowed it to stay cool all the way through a race. You don't have to freeze the whole thing, just enough to prevent a thermal shutdown will work....
Old 08-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ford_racing
I once saw Steve Weiss, a Novak Electronics employee use the Much More motor cooler on his BL motor. This happened at Crystal Park's track last year during the J.B.R.L. series.

I use the Crazy Motor Freezer on my brushed motor. The wiring gets in the way for the brushless though. I ran some tests with the CMF when I first bought it and found that the motor was upto 15º cooler in a five minute run. If you let the car sit too long before the start of the race it doesn't help as much. I drive an XRay T2 if it matters any.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.