R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Allowing BRUSHLESS in Stock class? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/176166-allowing-brushless-stock-class.html)

pumbaapig5 08-08-2007 08:02 PM

Allowing BRUSHLESS in Stock class?

Hey our club is thinking about allowing the new stock equavilant motors to run this winter in carpet racing. Just wondering what you people think and is it fair...
Please let me know soon, club votes in just over a week and would really like some input... We run 1/10th, 1/12th pan, touring, transmission, and jalopy.
thanks Mike

F. Mendoza 08-08-2007 08:03 PM

SoCal Raceway and O.C. Circuit allow it. Some say it's equal others say it's a bit faster. No motor maintainance is a plus though.

UN4RACING 08-08-2007 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by pumbaapig5 (Post 3563010)
Hey our club is thinking about allowing the new stock equavilant motors to run this winter in carpet racing. Just wondering what you people think and is it fair...
Please let me know soon, club votes in just over a week and would really like some input... We run 1/10th, 1/12th pan, touring, transmission, and jalopy.
thanks Mike

Jalopy.?
More detail if you would please that sounds like an ear catcher. Might draw some interest. Sounds like a cool Run what you brung class.?

Hoopty or Jalopy.

BTW The 13.5 is very popular at our track.:nod: (sintered rotor)

Glowster21 08-08-2007 08:30 PM

The 13.5 is faster in 1/12th, but we have been able to prove that a good tuned brushed motor will hang with the 13.5 in a touring car.

SWTour 08-08-2007 08:37 PM

Get and try a 17.5 motor....they are REALLY close to a STOCK motor speed in our testing so far.

Available from NOVAK directly (or a few other various sources) go to TEAMNOVAK.COM and BuyNow

RBLove 08-08-2007 08:40 PM

13.5 BL w/sintered rotor and the timing maxed is significantly faster than a good stocker. Brushless is easy horsepower and very convenient, but a 13.5 is not equivalent to 27t.

Easy test. Give your fastest brushed/stock racer a 13.5 and see how much faster they will go.

RoachRacing 08-08-2007 08:44 PM

The 13.5 without the sintered core is close to a brushed stock motor. But, once you put the sintered core in it the low end torque is totally different. You would really notice this on a carpet track. My friend and I were running side by side through a section of the track and we came around a corner, we both punched it and I (running the sintered core 13.5) blew past him like he was standing still.

Corey

sportpak 08-08-2007 09:10 PM

The 13.5 will be a little better, and some people will beech, but it's a transition everyone is gonna have to make. Run one and you won't go back...ever.:sneaky:

SpeedyPenguin 08-08-2007 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by sportpak (Post 3563215)
Run one and you won't go back...ever.:sneaky:

I concur

skypilot 08-08-2007 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by pumbaapig5 (Post 3563010)
thanks Mike

have you not read all the debates on your local northwest thread, its all over the SIR and FW threads.

in a nut shell, i went faster with a 13.5 then with a stock motor at sir, sintered rotor and bonded rotor had same lap times, (FOR ME) others are going just as fast with a stock motor, but they are FAST drivers anyway. easiest way to figure it out is not to vote on it, but try it, let a couple run the 13.5 if its to fast then you have your answer. but something you must know and its not on any threads, the 13.5 weighs, 1 oz more then a stock motor, and it will mess with the handling of your light chassis. if no one wants to buy a system just to "test" contact doug at sir and see if can't round up a couple to loan out.

skypilot 08-08-2007 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 3563065)
Jalopy.?
More detail if you would please that sounds like an ear catcher. Might draw some interest. Sounds like a cool Run what you brung class.?

Hoopty or Jalopy.

BTW The 13.5 is very popular at our track.:nod: (sintered rotor)

here is there club web site.

www.norarcoval.com

UN4RACING 08-08-2007 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot (Post 3563278)
here is there club web site.

www.norarcoval.com

Thanks cool site but I didn't find any thing on the Jalopy class.
I may have browsed to fast. I did put in a plug for the 13.5 class when I signed the guest book.:D

Still Bill 08-08-2007 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedyPenguin (Post 3563244)
I concur

And I concur on his concur...

pumbaapig5 08-08-2007 10:25 PM

Hey guy's I posted this just to get some fresh input,, Our club currently is letting the brushless run with the stocks as a trial on the dirt oval track. I have noticed that the same fast guys are still winning, but now they use a brushless to save on maintance.. I just can't help but feel that if it passes club wide than the rookie class will suffer when certain people outfit there cars or kids cars with one.. Just not very fair to the people that come to the track just to have fun..
I know it's a race but there are actually some families that come to our track just to have fun.. We race every friday and average 60 racers a week. For just a little club I am worried about the little guys.
Thanks For the input.
Mike

mac853 08-09-2007 12:21 AM

:rolleyes:As I heard from other guys said in forum 13.5bl's performance is equal 23t brushed's. If they are competing so unfairly, maybe the race regs could edit something to allowance the two kinds of stuff competing together with more fair(which really happened in England), of course it's unacceptable and unfair if 5 cell in brushless and 6 in brushed, that's too much slow, since we must be more creative, like: limit the brushless' cars FDR or increasing the their car weight limit(ex:from 1500g change to 1600g), only allowance lipos battery in brushed one with less weight limit or without any, something like that. But Somebody think if it's acceptable, just want some opinion please, thanks.:nod: