R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   tamiya is frustrating??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/176090-tamiya-frustrating.html)

b-man777 08-08-2007 11:06 AM

tamiya is frustrating???

hey all:I've been a tamiya fan for many years now ,but something about them
has frustrated me.If you want a race worthy tamiya vehicle you have to pay top $$$ or if you want a less expensive tamiya vehicle it wasn't race worthy.I think it's time for tamiya to give consumers a compromise in that they need to shrink the price range gap between their race and non race vehicles.Just my $0.02 cents worth :spidey:

bozla 08-08-2007 11:23 AM

Tamiya cars are race worthy out of the box. The TA05 is very upgradable (you mostly need to shed weight tho) - even the standard shocks are extremely capable. You wouldn't turn up to the world champs with one though...

Maybe you need to spend more time putting laps in! And also, in my experience, performance is only about 20% in chassis anyway. If you have the right tires, batteries, esc, body, motor and maintenance schedule you can do very well. Save your money and stick with the Tamiya. There are plenty of kits available to upgrade to a carbon chassis too - I think even Tamiya has bought one out recently too.

or8ital 08-08-2007 11:23 AM

:confused: I see a TA05 spank other high end cars every other week. Just 2 weeks ago I saw a guy with a TA05 out qualify a team driver for RcAmerica.

Xanavi_R34 08-08-2007 11:23 AM

I think Tamiya is not forcing people/hobbyist to buy their top end kits nor low end kits... Me myself is a tamiya fan and I admit sometimes I get expensive with their price but what the hell, it's what I wanted, so why get frustrated in what you get in to??? If you don't want expensive high end kits, get another brand... Just my 0.01 cents...

Xanavi_R34 08-08-2007 11:27 AM

And also to add some more comments, it is not the kit that costs us $$$ but the equipments we use... like the batteries, escs, radios, etc etc...

vtl1180ny 08-08-2007 11:31 AM

I see Tamiya having some real weird parts support around here... No one carries the high end stuff so it's never even been a thought to race one...

blee 08-08-2007 12:08 PM

Actually Tamiya cars and stuff are not expensive........ you could find the price tags are extremely good in Japan Hobby-shops.

Unlucky we are living in US (people thought we folks are rich in US here), Tamiya-US pump up the price 70% more than Asia. Just like TA05MS, US local street price is around $500 but Asia price is around $300s. (I wonder the US import tax + transportation cost is so that high....... obviuosly, they just cut your throat very deep........ :D).

If they want more folks get involved their stuff, they should have a reasonable adjustment......... Just like AE did a good job on their new FT-TC5, very friendly price.

Xanavi_R34 08-08-2007 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by blee (Post 3561773)
Actually Tamiya cars and stuff are not expensive........ you could find the price tags are extremely good in Japan Hobby-shops.

Unlucky we are living in US (people thought we folks are rich in US here), Tamiya-US pump up the price 70% more than Asia. Just like TA05MS, US local street price is around $500 but Asia price is around $300s. (I wonder the US import tax + transportation cost is so that high....... obviuosly, they just cut your throat very deep........ :D).

If they want more folks get involved their stuff, they should have a reasonable adjustment......... Just like AE did a good job on their new FT-TC5, very friendly price.

It is not that they think you guys are rich but because of the cost bringing the stuff from theirs to you guys... Not like asia, Japan is near asia countries and come to think of it, Japan is also a asian country...

Here in our country (Philippines) the price of the 05MS is $420 + but in Japan it is around $350 + ...

Nova F1 Racer 08-08-2007 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by or8ital (Post 3561670)
:confused: I see a TA05 spank other high end cars every other week. Just 2 weeks ago I saw a guy with a TA05 out qualify a team driver for RcAmerica.

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut if he looks long enough. Take the F103GT..
I got t-boned and broke a battery holder.... The tree that the part in on has been discontinued..... WTF am I suppose to do?

This year is my last year attending any TCS event, or even buying an Tamiya kit. I've already packed all my tamiya car away and I am not planning on bringing them out in the near future...

Darkseid 08-08-2007 01:13 PM

This subject has been beat to death.:rolleyes:

After fully upgrading my TA05 to what I considered race spec, it only cost me total ~$290. And a fully race ready TA05R tended to sell for less than that.

If $260-$290 isn't a VERY nice price bridge between their cheapest cars and their highest dollar ones, well I don't know what is.:confused:

Xanavi_R34 08-08-2007 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Darkseid (Post 3561938)
This subject has been beat to death.:rolleyes:

After fully upgrading my TA05 to what I considered race spec, it only cost me total ~$290. And a fully race ready TA05R tended to sell for less than that.

If $260-$290 isn't a VERY nice price bridge between their cheapest cars and their highest dollar ones, well I don't know what is.:confused:

:nod::nod::nod:

blee 08-08-2007 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Xanavi_R34 (Post 3561784)
It is not that they think you guys are rich but because of the cost bringing the stuff from theirs to you guys... Not like asia, Japan is near asia countries and come to think of it, Japan is also a asian country...

Here in our country (Philippines) the price of the 05MS is $420 + but in Japan it is around $350 + ...

Are you working for Tamiya or somethings............. ;):cool:

Tek Nickal 08-08-2007 02:09 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the prices of Tamiya cars. The 415 is right up to par with any of the other top touring cars out there. And its price is also comparable. Some people may have problems with parts support but my LHS happens to carry parts for Tamiya cars. Like people have said, the TA05 does bridge the gap between their lower end cars and their flagship cars. At a very reasonable price also.

sharkman 08-08-2007 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by bozla (Post 3561669)
Maybe you need to spend more time putting laps in! And also, in my experience, performance is only about 20% in chassis anyway. If you have the right tires, batteries, esc, body, motor and maintenance schedule you can do very well. Save your money and stick with the Tamiya. There are plenty of kits available to upgrade to a carbon chassis too - I think even Tamiya has bought one out recently too.

What the heck does this have to do with his post. Have you seen him drive?
He is commenting on how expensive their top level kits are. They are cosiderably more then other top level kits from other manufacturers.

HI_808 08-08-2007 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer (Post 3561800)
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut if he looks long enough. Take the F103GT..
I got t-boned and broke a battery holder.... The tree that the part in on has been discontinued..... WTF am I suppose to do?

This year is my last year attending any TCS event, or even buying an Tamiya kit. I've already packed all my tamiya car away and I am not planning on bringing them out in the near future...

I thought discontinuing a battery holder on a not yet discontinued kit really is something to be displeased with, so I looked into it. To be honest, I don't think that sounds like a Japanese company's business ethic.

Are you looking for part #50655? Or is it a part that is not on the "F103GT Chassis D Parts (Battery Holder)" tree?

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...tion=&offset=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-50655-F10...QQcmdZViewItem