Wiki Posts
Search

1/10th scale 2WD touring cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 01:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/10th scale 2WD touring cars

Hey guys!

I was digging around the web today when I came across this site.

http://www.246.ne.jp/~s-furuya/sub5.htm

Apparently these guys are racing 1/10 pan cars converted to use touring car wheels and 190mm bodies. I think a class with this type of car would be a great way to race TC's on the cheap. The cars would be faster too.

I know Bolink makes a car targeted at the street basher that uses a 190mm body, but it has foam tires and a chassis that looks pretty flexible (not appropriate for racing).

Waddaya think?
Old 05-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

ever driven a pan car and crashed it, if so you will know they are not suited to the brutality of touring racing, even there u can see alot of breakages
Old 05-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Yeah i go threw alot of parts each year for my pan can and i race that on carpet. So i wouldnt recomend raceing those on anything eles unless you have really good experiance. I did race those on once on and it was fun but i stick tocarpet for those. And 1/10th scale pan cars and 1/12th scale pan cars are not the type of car to just play around with. They are for raceing normally.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fasterdanu
ever driven a pan car and crashed it, if so you will know they are not suited to the brutality of touring racing, even there u can see alot of breakages
Say what?

Trust me on this - I have the WORST wrecks of ANYONE I know. I have taken my 10L2 5 feet in the air and hit the wall full bore and drove away. They don't call me Boomer for nothin. At SoCal I have gotten standing ovations for my wrecks - Ask MarkA, Thirdplace, Colin C, etc. Hands Down I have the best wrecks.

In my experienced opinion (having run multiple classes for several years) Pan Car is far more suited to the "brutality" of racing than sedans - the Arms are far less fragile (in several years I have broken a TOTAL of 1 Arm, in touring I cannot count); there isn't much else to break. . . I've broken an axle and we STILL can't figure out how I did THAT one. . . but TonyP had fun playing tag with the wheel that was bouncing down the lane. . .

About the only thing that is commonly broken on a Pan car is the T-Bar (if you're driving a T-Bar based car) and it's cheap ($6.50) and, once you've replaced one or two, it's as easy or easier than replacing an A-Arm on a touring car.

But - if you put a sedan body on a Pan Car, you're not going to have a whole lot of luck. They're so light (38-40oz minimum compared to 52oz min for TC's) that they don't heat up the tires and get good adhesion unless you're running a GTP style body. Of course, put a GTP style body on a TC and it's gonna rock too. . . you can never have too much downforce!

Associated tried to get a class going - the 10L3 was a narrow body Pan Car and it never sold much. The 10L3o did, but that's Oval only.

It's not a bad idea, it's just been tried and found wanting.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Old 05-02-2003, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by Boomer
Ask MarkA, Thirdplace, Colin C, etc. Hands Down I have the best wrecks.

Old 05-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

But - if you put a sedan body on a Pan Car, you're not going to have a whole lot of luck. They're so light (38-40oz minimum compared to 52oz min for TC's) that they don't heat up the tires and get good adhesion unless you're running a GTP style body. Of course, put a GTP style body on a TC and it's gonna rock too. . . you can never have too much downforce!
That's an interesting point about the tires not heating up. I've run pan cars before in the late 80's (Bolink Eliminator 10s) and can attest to how durable those cars were. I can't remember breaking hardly anything.

The big off-road indoor track here in town (Dallas) is moving soon and plans on putting a carpet track in the new facility. I thought something like this would be great for entry level racers or spec racing. There are many of people at the track with young kids that need something simpler to work on and cheaper than a 4wd TC. Maybe I'll make a project out of a AE pan car just for fun.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

I have a CRC Pantoura. I haven't run it yet, waiting on tires. It is a 1/12th suspension with a longer chassis that runs 1/10th foams and sedan bodies.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

I have been thinking about a 1/10 pan also. Something about the simplicity of it all. It would have to be fast!! Lighter, same motor as a TC Wahoooo Hang on!

Where I race the 1/12 GTP 4 cells turn almost exactly the same lap times as the 1/10 TCs with 6 cells on carpet road course.

Hmmm Fast, Simple,............................ Sounds great to me.

David Root
Old 05-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by David Root
I have been thinking about a 1/10 pan also. Something about the simplicity of it all. It would have to be fast!! Lighter, same motor as a TC Wahoooo Hang on!

Where I race the 1/12 GTP 4 cells turn almost exactly the same lap times as the 1/10 TCs with 6 cells on carpet road course.

Hmmm Fast, Simple,............................ Sounds great to me.

David Root
Ohhh yeah.

We run Modified 6-cell at Revelation and we are pretty much the second fastest class out there - only thing that seriously beats us, even the slower of us, is 1/8th Nitro.

Simple, light, quick.

The only problem is - if you lift the front at all, you get a killer blow-over. Colin has actually LEFT the track via blow-over. Pretty sweet. We put him back on the track and off he went. . .
Old 05-04-2003, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Boomer - Your signature says "ROAR doesn't do pan car"

I disagree. The rules are in the book and we offer it in Region 2, if the drivers show. Without drivers, there isn't any racing. But ROAR does have 1/10 and 1/12 pan car.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally posted by newracer
I have a CRC Pantoura. I haven't run it yet, waiting on tires. It is a 1/12th suspension with a longer chassis that runs 1/10th foams and sedan bodies.

I race the Speedmerchant Speed Spec car that is similar to your Pantoura. I was second at the January Jam at Madness Raceway, Enfield, CT in 2002 and 1st in the Region 1 ROAR championships at Big Boys Toys, Taunton, MA in Mar 2002. This car is 4 cell and we ran 19 turn motors. The Protoform BMW 200mm wide body is perfect for the chassis. Cost control is in mind as the chassis is .110 thick fiberglass, not graphite. The car is very durable and the 19turn will be as fast as a 11 turn modified in a 6 cell touring car. This is one of the best kept secrets in RC racing.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by davidl
Boomer - Your signature says "ROAR doesn't do pan car"

I disagree. The rules are in the book and we offer it in Region 2, if the drivers show. Without drivers, there isn't any racing. But ROAR does have 1/10 and 1/12 pan car.
OOOld topic. . .

1/10th Pan Car has been dropped from the Nationals' slate of classes and all of our efforts (on both coasts) have been for naught.

We began with attempting to get T-Rex to make good on his word to keep 1/10th Pan Car in the nationals, as spoken to at least 6 individuals at the 2001 Nationals at Speedworld. He denied that he said anything to anyone.

I then tried to apply some logic and persuasion to the problem, stating that it cost little to have a class minimum and, since many that drive 1/10th Pan Car also drive another class, such as 1/12th Pan and 1/10th Sedan (I also drive 1/10th Nitro), and since many from the East Coast had related that they were not going to come to Nats to drive only 1/12th and they didn't want to drive Sedan, it would have behooved him to include 1/10th Pan Car and gain, not one entry, but mutliple entries for many of the entrants. This fell on deaf ears as the class got dropped for a 2 Door class - which isn't even listed in the 2002 ROAR book.

He even said it was a dying class, unlike 1/12th which he called dynamic and growing. I sent figures, taken from his records, which showed that 1/10th Pan Car is every bit as much a live and dynamic class, not only here but worldwide, as is 1/12th and, indeed, many classes of sedan. This, again, fell on deaf ears.

Okay, change of administration - Rick is in, TRex is out.

We have sent messages, reasonably stated, to bring 1/10th Pan Car back to the Nationals. We stated the same reasoning as before along with the note that we could almost guarantee a good sized class. The response sent was to ask the LOCAL track (hosting the Nats) to bring us in as a provisional and then he would look at it.

Essentially, this is saying "no dice" since local tracks want to run their own provisionals and the local populace will, obviously, lobby for the provisional they want.

So, 1/10th Pan Car is excluded from any significant races in our area of ROAR (and since this is the region that the President is also Regional Director, we feel it is an extendible principle) and especially the nationals.

The principle holds - if ROAR excludes a rule-based class to run a not-even-mentioned class, my signature is valid.