R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   A good 1/12th scale TC for a beginner (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/175078-good-1-12th-scale-tc-beginner.html)

thecman26 08-01-2007 02:54 PM

A good 1/12th scale TC for a beginner

Hey guys,
What is a good "starter" Touring Car for a beginner?
I have all the electronics and accesories, just looking for a good car.
I race Off-road, nitro and electric. Touring cars looked interesting....

Thanks!

thecman26 08-01-2007 02:58 PM

There are almost too many to chose from!
Losi, AE, Hot Bodies....
Just looking for an easy to build, set-up, and drive...

chris moore 08-01-2007 03:12 PM

Well first off touring cars are 1/10 not 1/12, if your looking for 1/10 touring xray is the cadilac of the group. If cost is a driving factor then you can find a used current or one model old ride on the BST board all the time. One thing you failed to mention is what kind of track, asphalt or carpet, I've heard the Losi is better on carpet that asphalt but thats just off the vine.

timmay70 08-01-2007 03:13 PM

This has been posted many times. Your best bet is to go to the local track and see what other people are racing. Also go to your local hobby supplier and see what is on the shelf for parts. Where the kit is not always in stock, you are looking for what brand parts your local hobby shop is actively stocking parts for. Nothing kills a day of racing or playing with your toys than to find out that there is no local parts support.

(BTW, most TC's raced are 10th scale)...

InspGadgt 08-01-2007 03:14 PM

Those TCs you refer to are 1/10th scale not 1/12th. 1/12th TCs are usually referred to as Mini's as the dimensions are based off of the Tamiya Mini Cooper series.

Any of the top name brand cars will do fine for you. If you are just starting out and not planning on racing I'd suggest a Tamiya...reasonable costs, easy to build, usually quite durable. If you are planning to race then get a top name brand racer. Stay away from unknown brands and knock offs. Also it would be a good idea to see what cars your local hobby shop carries parts for. That way when you break something you can get it locally instead of having to wait for a mail order.

4wheeldrive 08-01-2007 03:19 PM

I got a T2R semi used from here and it was my first high end touring car. Setup right from the box it was super driveable for my skil set. Comb the threads and you'll find out what everyone is running and then you can find one used somewhere on here. As someone mentioned you need to figure out what type of surface you are running on and that will determine your car.:nod:

thecman26 08-01-2007 03:26 PM

Ok, my bad, I meat 1/10th scale.

Now that we got that clarified...

The closest track that I have heard of is in Oklahoma for on road, its asphalt, and I have never seen it. I heard it was sweet and its indoors!

So no local track to spin bye to see..
Also its a Long drive to Enid, to hang out, and research...

Just getting some ideas...
Price is an issue, but ease of wrenching, and driving is the key!

chris moore 08-01-2007 03:37 PM

One thought you might try and call that track/shop;tell them you want to start racing there and see what cars/brands thay support and also ask what brand most racers are running. That will save you the cost of driving there.