Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat >

JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat

JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat

Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Alycat

Looking for experiences both positive and negative for each piece of software. My club (member owned and operated) is looking to raise money from our members to purchase either one of these.

At about $1K for JLaps and RC Scoring pro, they are up there compared to about $300 for Allycat.

Our needs are PT support and would like computer race management (ie puter calls racers / marshalls so on and so on).

From the demos we have been trying, this is what we see.

JLaps
Computer assisted race management - available
Environment - nice, Laid out in a pretty environement
Ease of navigation - so so
Stability - Never went through a session without it crashing...restarted and never lost anything, but I'd hate for this to happen on one of our championship race.
Price - A little pricey

RC Scoring PRO
Computer assisted race management - Not Available - might be in the future...
Environment - ok - Not as nice as JLaps - but once you play with it, the layout makes sences and is actually easier to navigate
Ease of navigation - Pretty good after a few minutes
Stability - Appears Solid
Price - A little pricey

Alycat
Computer assisted race management - Available and very flexible
Environment - ok - Not as nice as JLaps - but once you play with it, the layout makes sences and is actually easier to navigate
Ease of navigation - so so
Stability - In between JLaps and RC Scoring Pro
Price - What a deal!

As a club, we are looking at all the main events and realise that RC Scoring PRO is at most of them. I'd like objective comments to help us make this one time decision with as much information as we can. There is only so much demo's can do...

Last edited by CaliberX; 08-07-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

RCSP. Doug's phone number is right on the screen if you ever have any questions. Our club used to run J-lap, which you mentioned is ok to navigate, however, was very crash prone. On a stable computer, RCSP never crashed on us.

Never used alley cat, no comments.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
RCSP. Doug's phone number is right on the screen if you ever have any questions. Our club used to run J-lap, which you mentioned is ok to navigate, however, was very crash prone. On a stable computer, RCSP never crashed on us.

Never used alley cat, no comments.
I've run races using Jlap and RCSP. Our local club uses Allycat, and the club at Hobbytown in Centerville uses Autoscore. My first choice would be RCSP, and a close second would be Autoscore. I don't care for Allycat, and I love Jlap's features, but I've never been to a race where Jlap was used, that didn't have at least one MAJOR scoring issue.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Suspended

If cost is no concern, go with Scoring Pro.

If you need to save some $$$, Alycat will do the job.

I've used them both, and both work well. Scoring Pro is more user friendly and has more features.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Local track switched to JLap but it seems to crash often. Also not sure if it the user or the software but it doesnt give the qualifying positions at the bottom of the results like RC Scoring Pro did (which they use to use). They switched from RC Scoring Pro due to customer support issues.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Alycat is really good once you get used to the layout. The full versions do seem a bit more stable then when you run them in trial mode. The environment will be changing too. They have been working with our suggestions on their forums constantly to tweak their product. And their support is great!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does any of those softwares have an alarm/sound for Drivers best lap and the best round lap?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Rc Scoring pro enough said....
Old 07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

I have used autoscore(dos), jlap, rcsp, alycat(older windows version). They all have had their lack of something and their share of issues which if you've been around long enough you'll know that its far better than handcounting...

jlap, when i was using it, would like to release bug fixes and new features in the same build - so if the new features didn't work you were still waiting for another bug fix. As one of the larger weekly racing clubs back in those days I stopped updating for awhile when I found a stable version. That was a couple years ago so it might be different now.

rcsp, there's only 2 things that annoy me about it, 1 is functional the other is a labelling issue. if you signed every one up and decide to change the race length for a class, you can't just go back and change the class settings. The race length is stored with the event entry - so you must know some sql to update that. i had to call doug as I wasn't following the report screen to do it at the time. some of you would say do it in the race screen - thats a PITA if ya have a dozen heats to remember to do that for. the other one is when you set up the mains, if you change the car count from what you have in the class setup - it will label the print out to "1/2 odd" instead of keeping "B MAIN" or whatever.

alycat - i have very limited experience with it. my biggest thing were the naming differences from across the pond.

autoscore, too long to remember.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Laps Free works for us at the onroad electric club and hasnt crashed or let us down.
http://www.rctiming.com/laps_free.shtml

and you save $$$

For a paying system ive only heard good things about RC Scoring Pro.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by J@UNE
Does any of those softwares have an alarm/sound for Drivers best lap and the best round lap?

Alycat does
Old 07-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by razzor
Laps Free works for us at the onroad electric club and hasnt crashed or let us down.
http://www.rctiming.com/laps_free.shtml

and you save $$$

For a paying system ive only heard good things about RC Scoring Pro.

The problem with that is it has not been updated in quite some time and does not work with current AMB systems...only older ones.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

we've used aleycat with very good luck for years, and for the price, since we are a club, you couldn't beat it.. does everything we want it to do..
Old 07-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We've got a Alycat crowd and a RSCP crowd at our club. We've been running alycat for a few races and some people really like it.

This purchase is a member donation type deal so its kinda of a one shot deal for us. We might very well be able to raise the cash for which ever software we choose.

Alycat people are very responsive to our recommendations, but I've gotten immediate response from Doug when I emailed him some questions about RCSP. So thats a draw for us.

Alycat does the race management thing - which is way cool when no one wants to lose smack talk time on a evening race. Big races are still going to be called live, but that option is very appealing and what started this whole discussion. RCSP does not have this at this time, but Doug indicates that he has been asked to included it and might do so in the future. Alycat +1point

RCSP is all over the big races - there's gotta be a reason. If its ability to handle 200, 300 or 555+ entry, thats cool, but its not what we need (if we ever get a race with 150+ I'll sh*t my pants). So another draw.

I'm trying to objectively look at this decision without falling into the "all the big guys are running it, therefore its what we need" trap.

Alycat series points appear to suck from the feedback we get from our software tester. No experience/comments for the RCSP - so a potential +1 for RCSP.

This is a tough call to make....Alycat seems like its going to fit like a glove - but the dominance of RC Scoring Pro on the premiere races in North America makes this decision harder.

Anyone know whats used in Europe?

Last edited by CaliberX; 07-30-2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Speeling << thats a joke by the way
Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Our local track uses B&B Auto score. However, the bigger events I've attended RCSP is the way to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.