Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Novak locked rotor detection >

Novak locked rotor detection

Novak locked rotor detection

Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Novak locked rotor detection

I ran this weekend with a 4300 SS in my touring car...In the second qualifier the outdrive let loose and lodged in the belt/ front pulley....stopping the car right now...I might add..Today I was looking over the car and the motor has a dead spot where there is no response at all...roll the car and off it goes like normal........The lights indicate a locked rotor condition..even though the rotor is spinning free....I got to ask....Is the rotor fried??? Anyone know of a solution other than replacement?? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

most likely you have a fried FET on the esc, or a problem with the sensors on the motor... it happened to me before, that if I didn't help the motor to rotate, it wouldn't move by itself and blink as a locked rotor... and in my case was the ESC FET. I heard the same behaviour also happens when you have a sensor problem, so I would reccomend you to try another motor (a friend's one) and check.... if it works OK, then is the motor, if not, the esc...

cheers,
al
Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanks........I'll check it out
Old 07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scootr117
I ran this weekend with a 4300 SS in my touring car...In the second qualifier the outdrive let loose and lodged in the belt/ front pulley....stopping the car right now...I might add..Today I was looking over the car and the motor has a dead spot where there is no response at all...roll the car and off it goes like normal........The lights indicate a locked rotor condition..even though the rotor is spinning free....I got to ask....Is the rotor fried??? Anyone know of a solution other than replacement?? Thanks in advance for the help!
SUGGESTION: Dont Crash
Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Welcome to the failed Novak SS motor club. Your hall effect sensor in the motor failed. It cannot detect where the rotor is so it cannot spin the rotor therefore it thinks it is locked. Your ESC is fine. Mine, my sons, and friends and racers ALLl have done the same thing. This is not something that can be easily (or even difficult) repaired. SMT components on a PCB that is apparentlyu molded to the motor. Keep the motor for spare parts is about all I can offer in the way of advice.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

now why didn't i think of that
Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

QUOTE=or8ital;3533053]SUGGESTION: Dont Crash [/QUOTE]

Crash???? you mean the after start right? OK then I will do that

The funny one was when I was hooking my radio to the laynard and forgot to watch the car.......bumped the throttle and hit someone on the grid......ouch....
Old 07-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by QuickRC
Welcome to the failed Novak SS motor club. Your hall effect sensor in the motor failed. It cannot detect where the rotor is so it cannot spin the rotor therefore it thinks it is locked. Your ESC is fine. Mine, my sons, and friends and racers ALLl have done the same thing. This is not something that can be easily (or even difficult) repaired. SMT components on a PCB that is apparentlyu molded to the motor. Keep the motor for spare parts is about all I can offer in the way of advice.
You can return any Novak motor---working or not---and have it replaced with the same version rmf for about 35.00 or upgraded to a different wind rmf motor for about 45.00.

Service Replacment Options
Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 AM
The Evicerator

In regards to sending in what you may think is a faulty brushless motor or ESC...

We ALWAYS recommend sending in both your motor and your ESC. Being as that they work as a SYSTEM if one of them isn't working quite right it can easily be mistaken as a fault or a failure of the other component.

If you send both units in we can check them out and determine which is really the culprit.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

WOW..... Thanks for all the support from Novak.. I'll dig up all the reqired stuff and send it back for a "look see".
Old 07-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The guys in Orange, always there to support their customers.