R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   spektrum pro vs old (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/174589-spektrum-pro-vs-old.html)

fjm9898 07-29-2007 03:17 PM

spektrum pro vs old

is there really that big of a difference? i know people talk about lag but can u really feel it between the two systems? i currently have a pro system but i was looking into getting another rx for my other car. i would like to hear some options and personal exp between the two systems. thanks for your time.

F. Mendoza 07-29-2007 04:15 PM

The majority of us cannot notice the differance in the two. A while back there was a latency generator posted (I think it was in "Ask The Eviceratior" thread) and even trying time after time our reflexes were not fast enough to come within the tolerance differance. I rarely came within the tolerance. I have two radios. One with pro series and one with second generation module and I can't notice the differance. I hear the first generation modules were the slow ones. Second and third are suppose to be fine. Hope this helps.

fjm9898 07-29-2007 04:32 PM

thanks, so the second gen is the 3500 micro? just wanna make sure i know what i am getting. i know the pros have the clear case.

Skill 07-30-2007 01:35 AM

The micro rx has the same latency as the Pro rx I believe.

I can't comment on the difference between the two Spektrums myself, but I do know someone who's been racing for a very long time and he got Spektrum straight away when it came out, and then the Pro when this came out. He was astounded at the difference, but as mentioned above it seems he must have had the 1st gen system.

I have recently upgraded to Spektrum at the same time as getting a new transmitter, and I noticed a quicker response between the two. (Used to have a KO Esprit II and now have the Esprit III).

RCGaryK 07-30-2007 06:29 AM

Differences between the Original Spektrum Systems (grey cases) and the Pro Series Equipment:

When speaking of Pro Series Equipment, I am talking about the Pro Series modules with the smoked cases, SR3001 receiver and the SR3500 Micro receiver.

The SR3001 and SR3500 receivers feature a conformal coating on the circuit boards. This aids in making them fuel proof and water resistant

The Pro Series equipment features reduced latency

The SR3500 features a wider operating voltage range, eliminating many BEC issues that would have required use of the SPM1600 Voltage Protector

The Pro Series Equipment all feature smoked translucent cases while the Original Series gear has solid grey cases.

The Pro Series equipment has updated firmware to prevent ESD shutdown issues. Original SR3000 receivers that were purchased after May of 2006 have this firmware as well.

The SR3000 and SR3001 are both compatible with the Spektrum Telemetry Modules, the SR3500 is not.

F. Mendoza 07-30-2007 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by fjm9898 (Post 3530459)
thanks, so the second gen is the 3500 micro? just wanna make sure i know what i am getting. i know the pros have the clear case.

No, that's not the case. The 1st and 2nd (#3000) generation are identical and appearance. They differ in software. I believe you can count the blinking on the receiver when you first turn it on. You have to watch real close though. The 2 blinks happen fast.

NO blinks--------------1st gen
2 quick blinks----------2nd gen
continuious blinking----3rd gen

I was told that when you have the first generation receivers you can notice the latency between that and 2nd generation. If you have 1st generation. You should update. 2nd and 3rd generation you'll be fine.

The pro and the micro have newer firmware, software, and are coated to make them fuel proof as RCGaryK stated. Everything else stated by RCGaryK pretty much covers the spektrum receivers.

Hope this helps clear it up a bit.

diesel 07-30-2007 12:13 PM

I'm currently on the old spektrum module and using a mix of old and new(smoked) receivers without problems.
Will I be able to use the pro module with the older receivers?

RCGaryK 07-30-2007 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by diesel (Post 3533021)
I'm currently on the old spektrum module and using a mix of old and new(smoked) receivers without problems.
Will I be able to use the pro module with the older receivers?

Yes, the Original and Pro series equipment are compatible with each other.

tenpins77 07-30-2007 01:52 PM

an answer

hey, i had the standard grey one that came with my dx2. The Case literally melted cauz of the contact cleaner i was using. Heard the new smoked case had a better coating on it. Went BL and got the pro case, just cause all the kool people have it! thats unfourtunately why i bought most of the higher end stuff!:weird::nod:

Did notice it takes a bit longer to get the transponder to conncect with the reciever:weird:

skypilot 07-30-2007 02:16 PM

hey frank, talking with the local pro at TRCR, he told me he doesn't need to be told which specktrum system is in the car, HE can tell by driving it.

he also said, there is a difference in the standard size pro and the mini size pro. but not as much as between the old and new models. I bought the pro version for the ko radio right before nationals, I could not tell a difference in the pro version and the ko stuff.

dynamic_e 07-30-2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stratus Racer (Post 3532472)
NO blinks--------------1st gen
2 quick blinks----------2nd gen
continuious blinking----3rd gen

Whats it mean if you have one blink and then constant green? :)

RCGaryK 07-30-2007 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by dynamic_e (Post 3533556)
Whats it mean if you have one blink and then constant green? :)

Check to make sure the polarity on the esc lead is correct

Still Bill 07-30-2007 07:21 PM

Another version...

In between the original and Pro versions, there was a software upgrade to the original TX/RX modules that Matt of Spektrum did for me last year at the Carpet Nationals.

That upgrade was noticeable faster because my turn-in was initially quicker after the change.

I still upgraded to the Pro version to get the bigger BEC.