Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

cant wait for mine. $30 is farking cheap
Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 4.5 bonded

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Any company that is coming out with bonded rotors in the more aggressive BL motors are asking for problems. Novak realized this and went sintered....FAAAST!. For the milder winds, bonded really isnt an issue. When you get in the 4.5 and 3.5 range, those rotors shatter like they were hit with a hammer.
hey just to let to let you me and my cousin run an endro-car every year with a 4.5 Novak, we ran a system for 2 years with the bonded rotor (we just replaced it with a sintered system). every weekend a 24 minute race and one weekend a 48 min race. for 2 year never had a problem. reason for replacing the system was he wanted a 4.5 for onroad truck racing( we have skateboard jumps, thus no landing, very very fun.)
Old 09-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxzhonkey
hey just to let to let you me and my cousin run an endro-car every year with a 4.5 Novak, we ran a system for 2 years with the bonded rotor (we just replaced it with a sintered system). every weekend a 24 minute race and one weekend a 48 min race. for 2 year never had a problem. reason for replacing the system was he wanted a 4.5 for onroad truck racing( we have skateboard jumps, thus no landing, very very fun.)
Kudos to you. I think some of us who have shattered the bonded rotors may have over-geared the car or revved the car without a load. I know running in an enduro, you ran the piss out of it, geared CONSERVATIVELY, but ran it for a LONGGGGGGGGGG TIME. Not to mention, it was a NOVAK
Old 09-14-2007, 01:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Tell us what you think of this rotor. I'm putting mine in tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Must be a worth it upgrade.. cant wait for this rotor to arrive at our LHS

post your thoughts. thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by magm20001
ok done, but i'm not too sure if the request would be passed onto the person who does the purchasing decisions
Something worked.....

Tower is now listing the 13mm tuning rotor...price should be the same as the Vel sintered rotor once Tower has inventory.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Something worked.....

Tower is now listing the 13mm tuning rotor...price should be the same as the Vel sintered rotor once Tower has inventory.
i emiled but they never replied to me. i bought from somewhere else though
Old 09-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FrankW
Back when I raced with brushed motors in spec classes I would usually buy a motor (maybe two) for the season, then a couple extra arms (at $15 a pop). I would also have to buy a seasons worth of brushes, motor springs and shims (which all add up in cost). Then spend hours tuning, cutting, shimming, etc. Swaping out arms because I didn't want to lug around my comm lathe with me to the track everyweek. Then, don't forget about the comm lubes. The next season, I would have to buy all that stuff again. It was a pretty large expense.

Now, with brushless I have one motor and that's it. I haven't even taken it out of my car since I've put it in there. It's worked flawless now for at least 50 runs. I haven't had to spend any time tuning, truing, or shiming. All that time that was spent working on the motor can now be spent on the track, or on tuning the car itself. So, if I have to spend $30 a season on a new, improved rotor (then install and forget about it) to stay competitive... that's nothing compared to the time and money spent on a brushed system.

Even the initial cost of a competitive brushed system and all the required accesories to keep it running at peak performance is more expensive than the brushless counterpart.

I think the brushed motor builders/tuners hate brushless motors because they can't make money off of them. Eventually they will be out of business because the brushed demand will decrease to the point where there just isn't enough money flowing in. This is very unfortunate, but it's also evolution. If you can't find away to stay in the game, then you will become extinct.

-Frank

You make some very valid points and I would agree with the cost effectiveness of brushless over brushed. But you seriously underestimate the group of folks (me inlcuded) who took motor tuning as seriously as chassis setup and brushless utterly ruins a part of the racing experience for me. For my e-planes I love my lipos and brushless for run-time, maintenance and longevity of the parts. I just find it odd that a major part of electric racing is going the way of the dodo bird.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Frankw, you are spot on. People that enjoy breaking down, winding and tuning electric motors, thats cool. But fellas, get with it. Brushed motors stacked against BL is a losing proposition. Show the world an instance where you can run the piss out of a brushed motor for more than 3 races without maintennance and it still run at tip top shape? You cant. All of that tuning and maintennance for a 5 minute race is lethargic, period. BL can go for an ENDURO if geared right. Brushed doesnt measure.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I started off the day liking the change to the 13mm rotor. But as the evening wore on I noticed I couldn't keep up with anyone. I'm not sure this was worth it for me. I didn't have time between rounds to put the 12.3mm back in to test. So I'll see when I get time to do a back to back.

Anyone else have comments on the 13mm?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by air8
I started off the day liking the change to the 13mm rotor. But as the evening wore on I noticed I couldn't keep up with anyone. I'm not sure this was worth it for me. I didn't have time between rounds to put the 12.3mm back in to test. So I'll see when I get time to do a back to back.

Anyone else have comments on the 13mm?
Did you gear up? If you kept it at the same gearing, you will not notice a difference in speed. What motor did you pop it in to?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

i havent gotten my 13mm rotor yet, but i never liked my 12.3mm sinter. lacks lots of punch...

i have now gotten back to a bonded rotor. i seem to like it lots better. seems to have lots more punch.

only downside is the bonded rotor runs subtantially hotter. and therefore needs smaller pinion.

i think the sintered rotor would be suitable for longer open tracks, but bonded rotor for short tracks/offroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.