Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
A little help... >

A little help...

A little help...

Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default A little help...

Hi all, I'm a new member, my son and I are new to the sport. We love it so much but there's always something to fix. He has a Traxxas Rustlerbut this is the third motor that i've put in it for him. Why are we smoking the motors? we're using a 4200 battery pack and a brush motor but it's burning up after about four good runs on the track. HELP HELP HELP if you have anything please let us know we would appreciate it. THANKS>>>
Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Standard things to check usually include:

If the gear mesh is too tight, it binds up the motor and it will "fry"...

If the pinion gear (on the motor) is too big, the motor lugs down and overheats...

If you use reverse a lot, it's hard on the brushes -- especially if you use reverse, then hit forward to try to pull wheelies (everyone does it until they learn better)...

Driving through grass (like in the yard) can overheat a motor...

Don't run for exceptionally long periods... With modern batteries, you can run 10-12 minutes, which also overheats a brushed motor...

Be sure to LIGHTLY oil the bushings or bearings on the motor so that they stay smooth -- but don't use too much oil, as it can attract dust/dirt...
Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

what motors are you using? it's probably the gearing you might be running to steep for the motor, follow the recommended gearing for the motor, and you should be ok

try going to www.gearchart.com lots of help there.

just to give you a baseline for 27 turn motors, you can run Final Drive Ratio of about 5.5 - 6.0,,, 23 turn motors 5.8 - 6.8,,, 19 turns and lower it would be a little bit more complicated,
Old 07-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tfrahm
Standard things to check usually include:

If the gear mesh is too tight, it binds up the motor and it will "fry"...

If the pinion gear (on the motor) is too big, the motor lugs down and overheats...
Two excellent points. Also to adjust gear mesh , make sure you allow a tiny bit of play between gears by putting a small piece of paper inbetween gears. Once motor is tight, remove paper. You should have your play in gears. Good luck.