R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Using a gyro (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/173744-using-gyro.html)

studysession 07-23-2007 05:38 PM

Using a gyro

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a Gyro to help with steering on an RC car? If so what you use it in and did you like it or not?

I have a GMS 14 Funny Car and was thinking a Gyro may be very helpful to keep it in a straight line. Sometimes it gets hard to control at high speeds.

Thanks -
SS

V12 07-24-2007 05:19 AM

Some years ago there were some special systems using a gyro what were used in offroad cars. GM Racing even had an ESC with built in gyro so you did connect the servo not to the receiver but to the ESC. But soon afterwards rules changed so the systems were not longer legal for races.

rampal 07-24-2007 05:44 AM

There is one you can buy today from HPI, its called D-Drift Box or something... if you set it up properly, it can work as an ESP... nevertheless, as V12 said, it is not legal....

cheers,
al

vtl1180ny 07-24-2007 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by rampal (Post 3514140)
There is one you can buy today from HPI, its called D-Drift Box or something... if you set it up properly, it can work as an ESP... nevertheless, as V12 said, it is not legal....

cheers,
al

The HPI D box is a re-stickered Futaba micro heli gyro and it's almost double the price....

studysession 07-24-2007 06:36 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I am not looking to use it in races. No rc drag strips around here. Everyone races either Jato's or Mini-t's. Not found to much else in my area. I have a few onroad and was thinking my GMS 14 funny car might be easier to control with a gyro.

rampal 07-24-2007 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny (Post 3514259)
The HPI D box is a re-stickered Futaba micro heli gyro and it's almost double the price....

good to know that... thanks!

studysession 07-24-2007 07:10 AM

Last night surfing EBay I found some gyro's for 30 - 35 plus shipping. The DBox is 90+ at tower and found it in the 69 - 80 range on EBay as well.

I am thinking of trying one of these cheaper Gyro's. Have to wait til payday to get one though.

Francis M. 07-24-2007 07:52 AM

I have seen a few guys run it in thier micro and it does help a lot. They can just hold thier lines a lot better but it took them a while to dial it in.

wog....supraman 07-24-2007 07:52 AM

D-BOX=PIECE OF CR#P!!!!

expensive nad sooooo simple....go to your LHS and ask them for a gyro...its a gyro with gain control...thats all....over here in Australia (down under) it goes for about $180AUD which is really xpenso considering RRP is supposed 2 be like 100

grab a gyro...stik it in properly and go for it..

BTW, i believe many "stability control" systems have been made by many companys including HPI, FUTABA and sum other not known brand..

dont waste your money on the D-box....make ur own and call it "THE SS BOX"

i was gonna do it and call it "THE WOG BOX" but then i thought...i dont need help drifitn....iam pro.....if u need help drifitng...it aint drifting....but since your running at high speed and control is difficult...it would probably be a smart thing to do

hope this sorta helpd...

wog

studysession 07-24-2007 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by wog....supraman (Post 3514460)
D-BOX=PIECE OF CR#P!!!!

expensive nad sooooo simple....go to your LHS and ask them for a gyro...its a gyro with gain control...thats all....over here in Australia (down under) it goes for about $180AUD which is really xpenso considering RRP is supposed 2 be like 100

grab a gyro...stik it in properly and go for it..

BTW, i believe many "stability control" systems have been made by many companys including HPI, FUTABA and sum other not known brand..

dont waste your money on the D-box....make ur own and call it "THE SS BOX"

i was gonna do it and call it "THE WOG BOX" but then i thought...i dont need help drifitn....iam pro.....if u need help drifitng...it aint drifting....but since your running at high speed and control is difficult...it would probably be a smart thing to do

hope this sorta helpd...

wog

Thanks - Yeah I agree about the drifting comment. I am not the best drifter but don't need a gyro for it either. Just want one for the speed car.