Wiki Posts
Search

gtbss versus sphere tc spec?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default gtbss versus sphere tc spec?

ok im running lipo so lipo cut off is nice so i havnt sen any mention of lipo cut off for the lrp but i know the gtb has it. ive heard good things bout the lrp not thermaling and being really robust. do the newer gtb still thermal? all i want is a good esc for stock and light mod (6.5)?
cheers
Old 07-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, the LRP Sphere Comp TC Spec and the LRP Sphere Comp '07 both have a lipo cut off. If it's any indication, most of the top pros choose to use the LRP speedo with their various brushless motors. At the Reedy Race I think all but 3 or 4 of the invite drivers used the LRP speedo.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Pardon my french, but aren't all of the invite drivers being paid to run their equipment?

Also, this is LRP via Associated via Reedy's race.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All of the Novak GTB's now have lipo cutoff, and the new GTB SS runs considerably cooler. Most of the people I have talked to run the LRP because it seems smoother to them. I dont think you would be able to notice much of a difference, I'd go Novak just becuase of their customer service.
Drew.

Last edited by Drewdc90; 07-26-2007 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr
Pardon my french, but aren't all of the invite drivers being paid to run their equipment?

Also, this is LRP via Associated via Reedy's race.
I'm sorry you're French <that's a joke by the way>. No, not all the invite drivers are paid to run their equipment...well not the speedos anyway. Rheinard and Hara couldn't go more than 4 minutes with their Checkpoint brushless motors until they switched to the LRP speedo.

I don't know the Novak product very well, but I'm sure it's suitable as well. I'm just stating that those invite drivers who "chose" their speed controls at the Reedy Race, most chose the LRP.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Speaking of LRP customer service / product support,

Brent, what should I expect with my product support? I shipped AE my TC Spec last week, so you should be receiving it in the next week. As the note inside says, I wired it to a battery in reverse polarity, and it smoked hard. How much will a replacement cost me, and how quickly will it be dealt with?

-Adam
(really wants to try 5-cell!)
Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Tech Initiate

well i and many others at my local track have found that the lrp speedo has a considerable amount of motor over the gtb
Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
it smoked hard.
That bit made me chuckle.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:30 AM
YAH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Shortern the wires on the speedie

Can anyone please advise if the five wires coming off the speedie can be shortened without causing performance issue or voiding warranty? Applies to both Novak and LRP speedie?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drewdc90
That bit made me chuckle.
me to!

lol

i say LRP also, i am going to be buying a LRP sphere tc spec, the x-11 13.5 and sintered rotor soon
Old 07-26-2007, 03:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YAH
Can anyone please advise if the five wires coming off the speedie can be shortened without causing performance issue or voiding warranty? Applies to both Novak and LRP speedie?

Go as short as you like, both have externally connected wires so that racers can customize/replace the wiring for there cars IE: 12th using stubbies and offroad buggies running near stock wire lenghts
Old 07-26-2007, 05:09 AM
Tech Regular

Be super careful when you rewire the LRP speedo's. It's really east to overheat them and ruin the speedo.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Smoothness my eye

Lrp ESC's are chosen for a variety of reasons and "smoothness" isnt one of them. One is footprint, it's considerably smaller than the GTB. Wires, even though I run the GTB, it looks like a robot exploded with all of those wires. LRP's has much less clutter. Li-po cut-off, until recently, this was an issue because the GTB didnt have this feature, so LRP had a one up there. Need of a fan, LRP claims you dont need the fan while the GTB NEEDS the fan (creating more clutter with the wires). Like someone said on here, Novak does have WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY better customer service and personally, I think it runs circles around LRP's. That said, it confines the space you have to work in because of its bulkiness, the amount of wiring is a pain and without the fan, in the higher modifieds, thermalling will be an issue. Car adjustments are easier without all of the above mentioned. If you can ge pass that or space isnt an issue AND if you have the wiring skills of a verizon fios tech (true quam), then the GTB is a better option.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hmmm,

the lrp is smaller footprint? novak Footprint 1.16” x 1.49” (29.5 x 37.8 mm) lrp 33.1mm x 37.6mm x 32mm
the lrp does not require the fan? the new Tc has it mounted already
the lrp does not have the bundle of wires? the new TC has both the fans and the cap pre-installed.

the lrp not smooth? it is the smoothest of the 2 companies speedos. it is used more int 1/12 then the gbt. this is dues to the smoothness of the speedo. it does not unsettle a 1/12 car though the corners and coming out.

I will give you this, novak has a better customer support procedure
Old 07-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default just my opinion.

My thoughts...

I just finished an early morning practice session, durring wich I put eight packs on the new LRP TC.

It seems to me that the wirring is actually about the same as the GTBs, although the smaller capacitor is a nice fit. I've never felt that the GTBs are anything less than silky smooth, and the new LRP is equally smooth. The fan on the LRP puts out air like a high end leaf blower (nice). What I like most about the LRP, is the adjustability and the brakes. Lots of adjustability with easy to see LEDs and the brake adjustability (and braking power) is second to none.

Both units rock!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.