R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #7216
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

As JasonB said above, the Corally thrust race is both lighter and smoother than the Slapmaster, and when correctly set up, will equal a normal bearing for performance. It will also last many times longer

The lube's only job is to grease the ball in the plastic holes. Moly is not the correct grease, as it will coat the balls and the races with a slippery surface, which is not what we want. Use the standard AE clear silicon diff grease on both main and thrust races, and your diff will perform, and last longer.

Dave Irrgang is not called 'The Diff Dude' for nothing, and his build tips are the best out there. I've followed this for years, and it works very time. Read the King of Diffs here. You'll find the answers spread out a bit, but the grease thing is mentioned twice.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #7217
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,759
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

The Corally one is what I'm using now. I've been wanting to try the slapmaster but if you guys think Corally is better I guess I'll stick with it.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #7218
Moderator
 
Clegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside doing things in places... Denver, CO
Posts: 4,609
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
As JasonB said above, the Corally thrust race is both lighter and smoother than the Slapmaster, and when correctly set up, will equal a normal bearing for performance. It will also last many times longer

The lube's only job is to grease the ball in the plastic holes. Moly is not the correct grease, as it will coat the balls and the races with a slippery surface, which is not what we want. Use the standard AE clear silicon diff grease on both main and thrust races, and your diff will perform, and last longer.

Dave Irrgang is not called 'The Diff Dude' for nothing, and his build tips are the best out there. I've followed this for years, and it works very time. Read the King of Diffs here. You'll find the answers spread out a bit, but the grease thing is mentioned twice.
I mentioned moly above as the lube for the thrust bearing... thats the only place it gets used and is exactly the kind of use moly lube is meant for. The reason for the silicone on the diff balls is you want them to grip the plates, with moly that wouldnt happen. But in a thrust bearing you dont want grip or any friction so a small dab of a good moly grease will keep the thrust bearing from generating added friction under high loads.

Some of Dave's stuff there is quite old, theres a bunch of solid write ups around the web about how to handle the newer ceramic balls and how to properly break in the plates to get them to grip. With the Slapmaster thrust bearing (I havent seen the Corally one... but do want to try it) RC4less ceramic diff balls, the stock diff plates, and some 600grit sand paper, I can build a diff that spins free, yet doesnt slip at even at a standing start, and is only rebuilt about once ever 4 or 5 weeks.
__________________
Joe Kelly - JK720.net
5280 Raceway |5280raceway.com | 5280 Raceway Facebook
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #7219
Tech Elite
 
chris moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Phx AZ
Posts: 3,754
Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)
Default

Jason, did you do any testing for the new RR version on asphalt or were these changes designed with carpet racing in mind?
__________________
Sponsered by:

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #7220
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,829
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

All of our testing is done on both asphalt and carpet. We dont release anything unless it passes the tests on both surfaces.
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #7221
Tech Elite
 
chris moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Phx AZ
Posts: 3,754
Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)
Default

Did you find any setup changes needed for the new RR on asphalt? I used your great free shipping offer and purchased the parts I needed to build a complete RR car. But I have'nt had a chance to run it yet and am wondering if I should expect to make any changes from the original R car.

Thanks
Chris
__________________
Sponsered by:

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #7222
Tech Champion
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,517
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
I mentioned moly above as the lube for the thrust bearing... thats the only place it gets used and is exactly the kind of use moly lube is meant for. The reason for the silicone on the diff balls is you want them to grip the plates, with moly that wouldnt happen. But in a thrust bearing you dont want grip or any friction so a small dab of a good moly grease will keep the thrust bearing from generating added friction under high loads.

Some of Dave's stuff there is quite old, theres a bunch of solid write ups around the web about how to handle the newer ceramic balls and how to properly break in the plates to get them to grip. With the Slapmaster thrust bearing (I havent seen the Corally one... but do want to try it) RC4less ceramic diff balls, the stock diff plates, and some 600grit sand paper, I can build a diff that spins free, yet doesnt slip at even at a standing start, and is only rebuilt about once ever 4 or 5 weeks.

+1
__________________
#49, #25a, #91, #7, #12 the ones to watch.... UPDATE. #12 is your new AMA GNC #1

A Northwest Team of Positive actions
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #7223
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,773
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
I mentioned moly above as the lube for the thrust bearing... thats the only place it gets used and is exactly the kind of use moly lube is meant for. The reason for the silicone on the diff balls is you want them to grip the plates, with moly that wouldnt happen. But in a thrust bearing you dont want grip or any friction so a small dab of a good moly grease will keep the thrust bearing from generating added friction under high loads.

Some of Dave's stuff there is quite old, theres a bunch of solid write ups around the web about how to handle the newer ceramic balls and how to properly break in the plates to get them to grip. With the Slapmaster thrust bearing (I havent seen the Corally one... but do want to try it) RC4less ceramic diff balls, the stock diff plates, and some 600grit sand paper, I can build a diff that spins free, yet doesnt slip at even at a standing start, and is only rebuilt about once ever 4 or 5 weeks.
One of the sedans I bought came with ceramic diff balls. It quickly developed a gritty diff that was inconsistent. After replacing the balls several times and rebuilding the diff I got a chance to look at all of the parts under a microscope and found the ceramic diff balls were chipping, causing the problem (think mega jaw breaker dropped on concrete. Ive been a big fan of plain jane steel balls changed every diff rebuild since that eye opening experience Anyone finding ceramics to be fragile in pan car diffs?
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #7224
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bedfordshire UK
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
One of the sedans I bought came with ceramic diff balls. It quickly developed a gritty diff that was inconsistent. After replacing the balls several times and rebuilding the diff I got a chance to look at all of the parts under a microscope and found the ceramic diff balls were chipping, causing the problem (think mega jaw breaker dropped on concrete. Ive been a big fan of plain jane steel balls changed every diff rebuild since that eye opening experience Anyone finding ceramics to be fragile in pan car diffs?
It depends whos and what spec ceramics you are using. I can recommend Corally or RC4less balls Ive had one set in my 12th car for about 18 months. I have a set in my 10R that has been used inside and out doors and balls are still in top nick.
I have had balls from other sources that have chipped like you discribe.

Jason
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:12 AM   #7225
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,829
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Did you find any setup changes needed for the new RR on asphalt? I used your great free shipping offer and purchased the parts I needed to build a complete RR car. But I have'nt had a chance to run it yet and am wondering if I should expect to make any changes from the original R car.

Thanks
Chris

I just went 1 spring rate softer on the center spring than the R and that was about it.
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #7226
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
I mentioned moly above as the lube for the thrust bearing... thats the only place it gets used and is exactly the kind of use moly lube is meant for. The reason for the silicone on the diff balls is you want them to grip the plates, with moly that wouldnt happen. But in a thrust bearing you dont want grip or any friction so a small dab of a good moly grease will keep the thrust bearing from generating added friction under high loads.

Some of Dave's stuff there is quite old, theres a bunch of solid write ups around the web about how to handle the newer ceramic balls and how to properly break in the plates to get them to grip. With the Slapmaster thrust bearing (I havent seen the Corally one... but do want to try it) RC4less ceramic diff balls, the stock diff plates, and some 600grit sand paper, I can build a diff that spins free, yet doesnt slip at even at a standing start, and is only rebuilt about once ever 4 or 5 weeks.
I understand what you are saying, but both races are thrust races! Both hold plastic ball cages, but one is attached to a gear, and one isn't! What's good for one thrust race is good for the other. I find the moly attracts grit too easily, whereas the silicone grease doesn't. I don't think it matters much either way.

Totally agree on the set-up you describe, and I have diffs that run a long time. We run 10.5 and Open Mod (6.5 in my case) so I don't get as long out of a diff as you do - probably 12-15 runs - before the dirt gets into the holes where the balls are, and it all starts to drag a bit. However, with the Corally/RC4Less carbide balls, I never change balls in the diff, as Jason says.

The Corally thrust race is lighter, better made and much cheaper than the Slapmaster - you'll like it!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #7227
Tech Elite
 
chris moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Phx AZ
Posts: 3,754
Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
I just went 1 spring rate softer on the center spring than the R and that was about it.
Cool thanks Jason
__________________
Sponsered by:

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #7228
Tech Master
 
WIITA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,582
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Huge race this week here in Duluth Minnesota. Its our annual state carpet champs Can't tell you how much fun its going to be putting laps on the CRC team guys with the new RR. BMI for life!!!!!!!
http://lsrcc.com/forum/portal.php
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #7229
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone know what cst the shur lubes are equal to?
kobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #7230
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,759
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
I understand what you are saying, but both races are thrust races! Both hold plastic ball cages, but one is attached to a gear, and one isn't! What's good for one thrust race is good for the other.
I have to disagree a bit. Normally what's good for a thrust bearing is a good grease like moly, wheel bearing grease, AE black grease, etc. These are not good lubes for the actual diff due to the torque being applied to it. This is not a normal operation for a thrust bearing so while a diff may be built just like a thrust bearing, it's operation is quite different. Greases will increase slippage which is not good on a diff and is why AE silicone is so good. A thrust bearing however, is not subjected to this torque that tries to slip it so a good grease (used sparingly) is perfectly fine for this.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW IN BOX BMI DB12R bigb11 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 47 10-09-2008 04:36 PM
-BMI DB12R- joey R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 05-18-2008 09:25 PM
BMI DB12R wallstreet R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 17 02-15-2008 05:04 PM
BMI DB12R D-Bizzle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 12-21-2007 03:48 PM
WTB BMI DB12R chris moore R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 8 06-29-2007 06:25 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:55 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net