R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #7036
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague View Post
How thin? I've seen the thin flex plates before, but not in black. Is this a different flex plate than the original thin plate?
they are just black fiberglass i believe. same as original just black. either way they work better on high bite carpet than the thick ones. i should mention this is with the set screws in just touching chassis which makes em a little thicker feeling
Old 02-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #7037
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I found you can run faster when grip comes up with the thick plates over the thin. This was with the thick almost touching very little side to side, and the thin with set screw.
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #7038
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Carey View Post
I found you can run faster when grip comes up with the thick plates over the thin. This was with the thick almost touching very little side to side, and the thin with set screw.
this is where im always confused with this car. our track is very high bite and im always faster with the thin plates with set screws just touching. i know this is what schreff runs all the time and at the birds. i mean yes theoretically the thick plates should be better on high bite but they are not. the thin plates allow the car to roll a little and seems to transition better. i have always found that the bmi behaves the exact opposite of most 1/12 scales but at the end of the day the car works and thats all that matters.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #7039
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
this is where im always confused with this car. our track is very high bite and im always faster with the thin plates with set screws just touching. i know this is what schreff runs all the time and at the birds. i mean yes theoretically the thick plates should be better on high bite but they are not. the thin plates allow the car to roll a little and seems to transition better. i have always found that the bmi behaves the exact opposite of most 1/12 scales but at the end of the day the car works and thats all that matters.
The screws also help it come back to center faster. So it then changes directions faster.
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #7040
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I have run basically every setup possible, have had a lot of track time on high bite. We had a couple go to 360 for the negs, and we have more bite. We usually have about 14 heats every week. The thin plates do make the car roll a little more, and should make it easier to drive, this isnt always the fastest. I tried this setup on the world gt today and didnt like the car, rolled and snapped too much. Im sure I could have gotten it to work, but it just isnt me. The only thing I havent tried that I would like to as running rake in the flex plates. Some day.
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #7041
Tech Champion

Good day for me in our local racing...finally got myself calmed down enough to drive relatively clean and netted me a 2nd place! Finally back on the podium

Jason check your e-mail when you get a chance...I'm going to send a correction to my order as one of my guys decided he wanted a little firmer tire.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:55 AM   #7042
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Carey View Post
I have run basically every setup possible, have had a lot of track time on high bite. We had a couple go to 360 for the negs, and we have more bite. We usually have about 14 heats every week. The thin plates do make the car roll a little more, and should make it easier to drive, this isnt always the fastest. I tried this setup on the world gt today and didnt like the car, rolled and snapped too much. Im sure I could have gotten it to work, but it just isnt me. The only thing I havent tried that I would like to as running rake in the flex plates. Some day.
I've run at 360 quite a bit and when they had the NRGS race there the bite was way down compared to what it normally is. If i had to guess it was cause it was so cold that week and there track is on asphalt.
To put it in terms you may understand normally if you even think about running w/o glueing the front you Traction roll like a mad man and I didn't run glue at that race.....
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 AM   #7043
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
For mod i would suggest running 2 xpink or magentas. The purples may feel good but if you go to the softer tire you can dial steering out through setup or D/R and make the car run more efficiently.
I have used softer tires and they wear out even more. I think the edge gets worn out because the wheels don't angle enough on corners. More caster should angle them more in corners and prevent this...?
PHI/BMI racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:22 AM   #7044
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHI/BMI racer View Post
I have used softer tires and they wear out even more. I think the edge gets worn out because the wheels don't angle enough on corners. More caster should angle them more in corners and prevent this...?
Try adding abit more camber.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:24 AM   #7045
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Good day for me in our local racing...finally got myself calmed down enough to drive relatively clean and netted me a 2nd place! Finally back on the podium

Jason check your e-mail when you get a chance...I'm going to send a correction to my order as one of my guys decided he wanted a little firmer tire.
InspGadget, I bet I know who took 1st. Tell, my boy P2 to take it easy on you guys, and I said hello.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #7046
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
This is true but you will lose turn in and will create a push in a different part of the turn and wear the fronts down. Post your setup and i will see what suggestions i can make
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #7047
Tech Adept

Cool

Quote:
This is true but you will lose turn in and will create a push in a different part of the turn and wear the fronts down. Post your setup and i will see what suggestions i can make
here is my set-up:

Front:
King pin lube 10000Wt
Springs 0.020" BMI
Camber 2.2 left 1.9 right
caster 4 deg.
toe 0 deg.
upper arm mount 10
up travel 5 mm
servo angled
front ride height 5.5 mm
front width 174 mm

Rear:
shock oil 30 wt.
shock springs gold 14 lb.
shock length 73.1 mm
rear pod droop 3.8 mm
forward shock ball stud long
flex plate : short and thin no screws
rear ride height adjusters 3 mm down
battery placement back
rear ride height 6.5 mm
rear width 176 mm

Damper Lube 20000 wt.

Tires:
30 shore pink rear 46 mm diameter (full treatment)
40 shore purple front 44 mm diameter (inside half treatment)

Batteries: 4600 matched SMC enerG
Motor: 4.5L novak 30.7 mm roll out
Body: Parma Speed 8 EXP

Thanks http://www.rctech.net/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif
Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #7048
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
here is my set-up:

Front:
King pin lube 10000Wt
Springs 0.020" BMI
Camber 2.2 left 1.9 right
caster 4 deg.
toe 0 deg.
upper arm mount 10
up travel 5 mm
servo angled
front ride height 5.5 mm
front width 174 mm

Rear:
shock oil 30 wt.
shock springs gold 14 lb.
shock length 73.1 mm
rear pod droop 3.8 mm
forward shock ball stud long
flex plate : short and thin no screws
rear ride height adjusters 3 mm down
battery placement back
rear ride height 6.5 mm
rear width 176 mm

Damper Lube 20000 wt.

Tires:
30 shore pink rear 46 mm diameter (full treatment)
40 shore purple front 44 mm diameter (inside half treatment)

Batteries: 4600 matched SMC enerG
Motor: 4.5L novak 30.7 mm roll out
Body: Parma Speed 8 EXP

Thanks http://www.rctech.net/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

The front width seems to be very wide. I normally run mine at 164mm. I run 1.5-2 degrees of camber, and my ride height at 4mm w/ .25 mm uptravel.(front of the car for asphalt)

For the rear i run the track width at 172mm and if using the silva shock(bladder shock) I use 50 wt. oil w/ the gold spring(red if the bite is high). I run 1.5mm pod droop. I like the standard flex plates mounted in short position and no set screws because they eliminate the double steer though sweepers and keep the front tires from shaving down in fast corners. I run the rear ride height at 4mm. I like running pink rears and magenta fronts. I cut the rear to 1.800 and the fronts to 1.750.
Give this a try and let me know if the tire problem is resolved.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #7049
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
InspGadget, I bet I know who took 1st. Tell, my boy P2 to take it easy on you guys, and I said hello.
Yeah P2 has been showing us all how it's done...we're gonna have to start calling him the Phenom!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #7050
Tech Adept

Quote:
The front width seems to be very wide. I normally run mine at 164mm. I run 1.5-2 degrees of camber, and my ride height at 4mm w/ .25 mm uptravel.(front of the car for asphalt)

For the rear i run the track width at 172mm and if using the silva shock(bladder shock) I use 50 wt. oil w/ the gold spring(red if the bite is high). I run 1.5mm pod droop. I like the standard flex plates mounted in short position and no set screws because they eliminate the double steer though sweepers and keep the front tires from shaving down in fast corners. I run the rear ride height at 4mm. I like running pink rears and magenta fronts. I cut the rear to 1.800 and the fronts to 1.750.
Give this a try and let me know if the tire problem is resolved.
Just checked, I am actually running 168 mm front and 172 mm rear. I don't use the silva shock, still the old one. The uptravel is very different so I will try changing that. Running 4 mm ride height is a problem as its a bumpy track and the chassis bottoms out. Everyone running 1/12th here runs at least 5 mm. I will try the set-up changes and keep you up to date. Once this gets sorted the BMI will be untouchable. I was already running top lap times, this will only make things easier.

Thanks