R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #6286
Tech Adept
 
lorider75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lloydminster, Sk
Posts: 178
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Hey Jason, here is my current set-up(I think this is what i am running anyway.... I keep a binder of all the changes i make to my cars and well i lost my binder)
So, this is what i can remember
nothing on the kingpins-> didnt like it with the 5K
.020 Linear spring
Angled Servo
25wt oil in the rear with the red spring
The standard shock ball end with 2mm of shimming
middle battery placement
10K in the tubes
Parma magenta tires all the way around, right outta the box
speed 12 body
Everything else is right outta the box.
Its running on medium-high traction carpet that is smooth in some spots and bumpy in others. The track is only up for a night then gets torn down. Its fairly tight being only 50x24.
At the beginning of the night i sauce the whole front tire, then the next heats i only sauce the inside half.
We are running 27t/13.5 motors. I am waiting for my speedo and motor to show up. Currently i have a t-bang 27t geared at 23/88 (i think)

I think that is everything. I hope this helps and any help you fellows can post about my mid-corner "chassis rollover" will be greatly appreciated.
The customer support for the BMI car is crazy wicked and its not just from Jason but from everyone running the car.
Thanks again,
Anthony
__________________
Team High Torque * Extremercmods.com
lorider75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #6287
Tech Elite
 
SpraydbySprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Posts: 3,301
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Hey lowrider, try this setup. I run on a similar sized track as you. One thing I did notice. You run full size tires right out of the box. How sharp are the sidewalls? A sharp corner on the edge of the tire will increase the chance of traction roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreff View Post
Here's what I ran this past weekend at 360 Raceway with the updated car...

-Front-
4 deg caster
5 deg reactive blocks
-1.25 deg camber
.020 BMI spring
.010 spring sag
#3 SureLube on king pins
servo on angled mounts (gonna try flat next time out)
Parma Magenta tires (41.6mm)

-Rear-
Hot Bodies shock w/ Losi 40wt oil and ASC gold spring
ASC shock mount raised with 2mm shims and medium ball stud on shock mount
shock all the way back on chassis
battery full forward
.070 side plates
#4 SureLube in damper tubes
Parma Grey tires (43.6mm)

Use whatever shims/ride height adjusters to get 4mm ride height. I also ran a Parma Speed 8 LW body since I was running 17.5.
__________________
How would I describe my holeshots?

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #6288
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,825
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider75 View Post
Hey Jason, here is my current set-up(I think this is what i am running anyway.... I keep a binder of all the changes i make to my cars and well i lost my binder)
So, this is what i can remember
nothing on the kingpins-> didnt like it with the 5K
.020 Linear spring
Angled Servo
25wt oil in the rear with the red spring
The standard shock ball end with 2mm of shimming
middle battery placement
10K in the tubes
Parma magenta tires all the way around, right outta the box
speed 12 body
Everything else is right outta the box.
Its running on medium-high traction carpet that is smooth in some spots and bumpy in others. The track is only up for a night then gets torn down. Its fairly tight being only 50x24.
At the beginning of the night i sauce the whole front tire, then the next heats i only sauce the inside half.
We are running 27t/13.5 motors. I am waiting for my speedo and motor to show up. Currently i have a t-bang 27t geared at 23/88 (i think)

I think that is everything. I hope this helps and any help you fellows can post about my mid-corner "chassis rollover" will be greatly appreciated.
The customer support for the BMI car is crazy wicked and its not just from Jason but from everyone running the car.
Thanks again,
Anthony
Hey Anthony,

Go to 35-40 wt. oil in the center shock and cut your tires down some. I run mine at around 1.750 in the rear and 1.670 in the front. For real high bite i go to 1.7 rear and 1.630 front. Make sure you have your ride height around 3.5mm. Go to 20,000 in the tubes and 10,000 on the kingpins. You should be good to go.
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #6289
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,168
Default

Just finished building my Silva shock Wow is it smooth! I did notice though when the shock is compressed quickly I think I feel the bladder compress then pop back. I remember years ago some people where putting little pieces of foam between the bladder and the shock cap on some shocks and was thinking of maybe some cotton or something in this shock. It will probably work just fine as is and doesn't need any modification...but I just like to tweak every little thing...what you guys think?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #6290
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 878
Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default

Adding foam between the bladder and cap will add rebound, which i dont think you want to gain. If anything trying to find a 'stiffer' bladder would be best.
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:11 AM   #6291
Tech Elite
 
odpurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Just finished building my Silva shock Wow is it smooth! I did notice though when the shock is compressed quickly I think I feel the bladder compress then pop back. I remember years ago some people where putting little pieces of foam between the bladder and the shock cap on some shocks and was thinking of maybe some cotton or something in this shock. It will probably work just fine as is and doesn't need any modification...but I just like to tweak every little thing...what you guys think?
Gadget,
I've built a few of the Silva shocks and one problem with them is that there is too much space between the eclip grooves on the shaft, which allows the piston to move up and down as the shock compresses and returns. You can really feel it as a little 'pop', so I bet that is what you are noticing there. You can add a 2mm id shim (slot car armature size) between the eclip and the piston or just glue it in place to get rid of the 'pop' Truth is, I don't think this piston play is fine at all, as it takes up a lot of the movement that the shock uses in normal travel on the track
__________________
TOP Racing USA--OD Racing--Novak--Power Push--J Spec
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #6292
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,168
Default

That's exactly what I am noticing...I'm sure I can find something to shim it...thanks!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:31 AM   #6293
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,168
Default

Well that was it thanks OD...I couldn't find a shim so I was trying to make one out of some thin plastic when I noticed one of the E clips I took off was bent out of shape. The E clips used just don't seem to fit right, I think they are too small for the groove. Anyway, I remembered I had an HB shock and that they had the same sized shaft so I thought I would replace the E clips with the HB ones. Turns out the HB ones are thicker too and take out all the play on the piston without having to shim or glue it. The shock is smooth as butter now
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #6294
Tech Regular
 
terryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 343
Default

Here in the Uk we are lucky enough to have high bite carpet to run on, and after reading Jason's post about running his servo flat on carpet it sounds like it would help smooth my car out.

Question is, I'm not sure on how I should be mounting the servo, obviously I realise I have to turn the servo mounts round the other way but which holes do I use, and should I fit the turnbuckles front or rear on the servo saver etc.

Be grateful if someone could offer I bit of help here, a picture would be cool as well.

Thanks guys
terryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:51 AM   #6295
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 904
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Mount it as low as possible and turnbuckles in front.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #6296
Regional Moderator
 
mrrcguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jonesboro Akansas
Posts: 3,157
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryh View Post
Here in the Uk we are lucky enough to have high bite carpet to run on, and after reading Jason's post about running his servo flat on carpet it sounds like it would help smooth my car out.

Question is, I'm not sure on how I should be mounting the servo, obviously I realise I have to turn the servo mounts round the other way but which holes do I use, and should I fit the turnbuckles front or rear on the servo saver etc.

Be grateful if someone could offer I bit of help here, a picture would be cool as well.

Thanks guys
Here ya go. Originaly I ran with the servo mounted to the front chassis hole with the arms to the back of the saver. However with that set-up the servo mount ears are smashed against the front lower arms.
Attached Thumbnails
BMI's DB12R-img_1415.jpg   BMI's DB12R-img_1416.jpg   BMI's DB12R-img_1417.jpg  
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #6297
Tech Regular
 
terryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
Here ya go. Originaly I ran with the servo mounted to the front chassis hole with the arms to the back of the saver. However with that set-up the servo mount ears are smashed against the front lower arms.
Just what the doctor ordered, top stuff thank you
terryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #6298
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,168
Default

I ran mine in front like mrrcguy but that was because I never liked how the steering links can hit the servo before full servo lock. But with 1/12th you won't be using that much steering so it really isn't an issue. Most setups have the servo foward and the links behind the servo saver. With my rebuild to the 12RR I will be trying the servo more foward to see how it effects steering.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #6299
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

mrrcguy,

What lipo batteries are you using?
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #6300
Regional Moderator
 
mrrcguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jonesboro Akansas
Posts: 3,157
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Its a 2000mah 7.4 15C from Common Sense RC. I does not have a hard case, but in the BMI cars the pack is extreemly well protected so I dont be a problem with it. The pack is small enough to get the weight right where you want it. Im running a 21.5 and as long as you dont push the gearing limits run time is not a issue. In fact you can gear to a point that makes the car even with a 4cell 17.5 car and the you get about 10 minutes of runtime.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW IN BOX BMI DB12R bigb11 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 47 10-09-2008 04:36 PM
-BMI DB12R- joey R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 05-18-2008 09:25 PM
BMI DB12R wallstreet R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 17 02-15-2008 05:04 PM
BMI DB12R D-Bizzle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 12-21-2007 03:48 PM
WTB BMI DB12R chris moore R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 8 06-29-2007 06:25 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:00 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net