R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #571
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Jason,
Well bro, the changes you and the team suggested made the car very easy to drive. There were only 4 of us for the 12th scale class and one person bowed out....But I still TQ'd, car is awesome and very easy to drive fast...Hardest part was keeping the tires from over heating...For some reason, a heatwave decided to hit and the track was over 164*.....yea such a scorcher that I had to bow out early, the early stages of heat exhaustion kicked in and I wasn't going to be messing with my health.

Great car, driver....so so....>Great day for sure..
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #572
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer View Post
OK, can we ge a base setup for asphalt with the kit?

THX in advance....

ok
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #573
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie View Post
Jason,
Well bro, the changes you and the team suggested made the car very easy to drive. There were only 4 of us for the 12th scale class and one person bowed out....But I still TQ'd, car is awesome and very easy to drive fast...Hardest part was keeping the tires from over heating...For some reason, a heatwave decided to hit and the track was over 164*.....yea such a scorcher that I had to bow out early, the early stages of heat exhaustion kicked in and I wasn't going to be messing with my health.

-Shookie <><

thats awesome shookie.we run in some seious track temps down here also.what i usually do is put paragon on the full rear and 1/2 the inside front and let it soak for 15 minutes.then i apply cheap suntan lotion over the paragon and let sit until i race and wipe it off real good right before i go out. the reason i say cheap is because you want a thin lotion that is watery so it soaks into the tire. something with at least 30spf is perfect.
J Concepts
Old 08-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #574
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)

Jason-YGPM from a few days ago. Its about money.....That should get a fast reply.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #575
Tech Lord

hmm,never got the pm buddy.can you resend it?
J Concepts
Old 08-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #576
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer View Post
OK, can we ge a base setup for asphalt with the kit?

THX in advance....
Here it is:

Body: Speed 8 Parma
Wheel Diameter: Asphalt 1.75F-1.85R, Carpet 1.70F-1.75R on Jaco, CRC, BSR,Parma big rims
Tire Compounds: Double Pink F&R
Caster: Middle
Reactive Caster: 10* Block
Camber: 1.5*
Ride Height: 3.5mm
Toe: .5mm out
Front Track: Narrow as possible on asphalt, .030” of shims on each axle for carpet
Front Spring: .020”
Front Preload/Droop: No Preload/very little
King Pin Damping: 5000Wt
Servo Mounting: Angled
Shock Length/Pod Droop: 2.6” (66mm)/.060 (1.5mm)
Shock Angle: Med IRS ball stud on AE Ant-Shock mount
Shock Spring: AE gold
Shock Oil: 35wt
Side Damper Oil: 5000wt
Flex Plates: .070”
Flex plate preload screws: Not installed
Rear Body Mounts: To the rear
Rear Track: 172mm

The starting setup is pretty much the same on carpet and asphalt. All the hardware you need to do this is in the kit.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #577
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
the car works extremely well on asphalt.that is where alot of the testing took place.we only race carpet 4 times a year down here so most of the carpet testing was done out of state.we have the car working incredible on apshalt.
AWSOME! Good to hear!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie View Post
Jason,

-Shookie <><

Foam tires over heat too? WOW do I need to do some learing about 12th scales lol..... Any like info or something I can read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
thats awesome shookie.we run in some seious track temps down here also.what i usually do is put paragon on the full rear and 1/2 the inside front and let it soak for 15 minutes.then i apply cheap suntan lotion over the paragon and let sit until i race and wipe it off real good right before i go out. the reason i say cheap is because you want a thin lotion that is watery so it soaks into the tire. something with at least 30spf is perfect.
Sun tan lotion? Are you crapping me? Now THAT is news to me LOL I havent heard that before, Gotta masage it in? jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Here it is:

Body: Speed 8 Parma
Wheel Diameter: Asphalt 1.75F-1.85R, Carpet 1.70F-1.75R on Jaco, CRC, BSR,Parma big rims
Tire Compounds: Double Pink F&R
Caster: Middle
Reactive Caster: 10* Block
Camber: 1.5*
Ride Height: 3.5mm
Toe: .5mm out
Front Track: Narrow as possible on asphalt, .030 of shims on each axle for carpet
Front Spring: .020
Front Preload/Droop: No Preload/very little
King Pin Damping: 5000Wt
Servo Mounting: Angled
Shock Length/Pod Droop: 2.6 (66mm)/.060 (1.5mm)
Shock Angle: Med IRS ball stud on AE Ant-Shock mount
Shock Spring: AE gold
Shock Oil: 35wt
Side Damper Oil: 5000wt
Flex Plates: .070
Flex plate preload screws: Not installed
Rear Body Mounts: To the rear
Rear Track: 172mm

The starting setup is pretty much the same on carpet and asphalt. All the hardware you need to do this is in the kit.
King Pin Damping: 5000Wt... Any info there? Never heard of this lol

Flex plate preload screws: Not installed.. Uhh? Again more info?

Shock Length/Pod Droop: 2.6 (66mm)/.060 (1.5mm) Last time, more info?

Sorry, I race TC on tarmac, thats as far as I know in racing, so im a newb to 12th scale
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #578
Tech Champion

Quote:
Sun tan lotion? Are you crapping me? Now THAT is news to me LOL I havent heard that before, Gotta masage it in? jk
Asphalt racers have been using suntan lotion for 20 years on foam tires. You pretty much HAVE to use it or you are out to lunch.

Quote:
Its 5000wt silicon diff oil from 1/8 nitro buggies. We usually keep 5000,7000, and 10,000wt in our pit boxes. A bottle of each should last you forever. We use it on king pins and damper tubes.

Quote:
Flex plate preload screws: Not installed.. Uhh? Again more info?
See the pic. If you run this screw down so it touches the chassis it makes the flex plates stiffer side to side. Note that this is not a "Tweak screw". There is no such thing on the DB12R because it will not tweak...trust me...we have done some evil testing on this point.

Quote:
Shock Length/Pod Droop: 2.6” (66mm)/.060 (1.5mm) Last time, more info?
With the rear shock at 2.6" the rear edge of the rear lower pod plate is 1.5mm below the level of the main chassis plate. This is like droop or suspension sag on a sedan. Pod droop make the car transefer more weight on coerner entry for more steering. If you have too much steering you can shorten the shock and reduce or eliminate pod droop for less turn in.
Attached Thumbnails
BMI's DB12R-img_1593r.jpg  
Old 08-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #579
Tech Elite

Quote:
Asphalt racers have been using suntan lotion for 20 years on foam tires. You pretty much HAVE to use it or you are out to lunch.

Any pics of this lol? Sounds funny, I didnt see anyone doing this at a race here when they ran 12th scale's

Quote:
Its 5000wt silicon diff oil from 1/8 nitro buggies. We usually keep 5000,7000, and 10,000wt in our pit boxes. A bottle of each should last you forever. We use it on king pins and damper tubes.
Wait, so all you do is lube the king pins and damper tubes with the diff fluid?

Quote:
See the pic. If you run this screw down so it touches the chassis it makes the flex plates stiffer side to side. Note that this is not a "Tweak screw". There is no such thing on the DB12R because it will not tweak...trust me...we have done some evil testing on this point.

OHH, So none would make it flexy? Which is what you want for tarmac, stiffer for carpet right?

Quote:
With the rear shock at 2.6" the rear edge of the rear lower pod plate is 1.5mm below the level of the main chassis plate. This is like droop or suspension sag on a sedan. Pod droop make the car transefer more weight on coerner entry for more steering. If you have too much steering you can shorten the shock and reduce or eliminate pod droop for less turn in.
Ohhh, OK I get it now, I was wonder how in the world do you add droop to the pod lol

Thanks Adrian!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #580
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Any pics of this lol? Sounds funny, I didnt see anyone doing this at a race here when they ran 12th scale's
Dunno about there but but everywhere else its common...even at the worlds. We usually apply blackparagon for 15min then apply suntan lotion so the tires are coated and look white. Put it on like traction compond. Inside half of front tires and whole rear tire. We let it soak in for 15-30min. It turns clear and soaks into the tire. The suntan lotion makes the traction last all 8 min and keep the tires clean all run. Straight paragon fades late in a run and pick up all kinds of dust.

Quote:
Wait, so all you do is lube the king pins and damper tubes with the diff fluid?
Yes, kingpins where the spring is and the damper tubes.

Quote:
OHH, So none would make it flexy? Which is what you want for tarmac, stiffer for carpet right?
Not exactly. This is not a t-bar or a link car do not think stiff carpet and flexy asphalt. For the DB12R think purely about roll stiffness and how more weight transfer can get you more steering. You may actually want more flex (chassis roll) on carpet to reduce steering and traction rolling...just like with a sedan.

Quote:
Ohhh, OK I get it now, I was wonder how in the world do you add droop to the pod lol

Thanks Adrian!!!
No problem
Old 08-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #581
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
What suntan lotion works the best for foam?
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #582
Tech Elite

Quote:
Dunno about there but but everywhere else its common...even at the worlds. We usually apply blackparagon for 15min then apply suntan lotion so the tires are coated and look white. Put it on like traction compond. Inside half of front tires and whole rear tire. We let it soak in for 15-30min. It turns clear and soaks into the tire. The suntan lotion makes the traction last all 8 min and keep the tires clean all run. Straight paragon fades late in a run and pick up all kinds of dust.

Hmmm, thats wierd.... When my parents watch me do that, there going to think I have lost my mind LOL

Quote:
Yes, kingpins where the spring is and the damper tubes.

Ok, thats not hat I thought, More simple then it sounded

Quote:
Not exactly. This is not a t-bar or a link car do not think stiff carpet and flexy asphalt. For the DB12R think purely about roll stiffness and how more weight transfer can get you more steering. You may actually want more flex (chassis roll) on carpet to reduce steering and traction rolling...just like with a sedan.
Hmmm, I really need to read more.... Sorry for the dumb questions

Quote:
No problem
Old 08-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #583
Tech Lord

hey adrian,sounds like i may be throwing my points for next weeks race.paul,troy,tony,and a couple others want to run 19 turn.i almost cant turn it down.
J Concepts
Old 08-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #584
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Here is the Explanation Jason posted earlier

Dampening on the kingpins, this is what you use this to slow the reaction of the front suspension. This is something that is commonly overlooked. The front suspension works faster than the rest of the car, therefor you need to slow it down to keep a balance. When you enter a corner, weight is transfered to the front of the car, it is then absorbed by the front springs, how much weight is transfered to the front tires is dependant on what spring you use. Once the weight is absorbed, then the front will relax.with that being said, all of this can happen before you get set into the corner and cause the front to slip or double steer. Now at this point you will need to dampen the front to slow it down, usually 5000wt. works good. This also allows you to use lighter oil in the tubes because they are not compensating for the push just in the tubes. If balance the dampening between the front and rear, you will have a car that bites good and reacts fast.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #585
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Here is the Explanation Jason posted earlier

Dampening on the kingpins, this is what you use this to slow the reaction of the front suspension. This is something that is commonly overlooked. The front suspension works faster than the rest of the car, therefor you need to slow it down to keep a balance. When you enter a corner, weight is transfered to the front of the car, it is then absorbed by the front springs, how much weight is transfered to the front tires is dependant on what spring you use. Once the weight is absorbed, then the front will relax.with that being said, all of this can happen before you get set into the corner and cause the front to slip or double steer. Now at this point you will need to dampen the front to slow it down, usually 5000wt. works good. This also allows you to use lighter oil in the tubes because they are not compensating for the push just in the tubes. If balance the dampening between the front and rear, you will have a car that bites good and reacts fast.

That makes it VERY clear!

Thanks!