R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #5566
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

The track was actually bad. They used very little trackbite for traction additive. Usually they spray more but lately the issue is the tire would glaze so that is why the additive was lightly sprayed on. The wind was blowing and the dust was getting on the track. Every time you wuld pull the car off it would have a film of dust under the shell. The dust was so fine that it would clog the pores and cause the cars to loose rear traction. This is on an outdoor paved asphalt track.

Here are the only changes I made to th car from the stock setup:

Camber: -1deg.
servo angled
front & rear ride height: 5.5mm due to bumpy track with off camber turns
front springs: BMI linear 22 or equevalent to ASC. .020
Shock oil: 30wt.
shock spring: Delta silver ( it is softer than gold but stidder than red)

Tubes: 5000wt Ofna diff lube
Tires Fr: Parma Magentas
Rr: Jaco Greens ( started out with Jaco Pinks)
The only set of tires left in my box where the Parma Magentas and Jaco Pinks. The greens were given to me to try out. They were specially preped with the guys own cleaning sauce to make them last longer. which they did.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #5567
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to islander360
Default Great Team!!

I just wanted to thank the BMI crew for all the help and information today. Keep it up and I'm happy I made the switch.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #5568
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Updated the DB12....

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #5569
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Aren't those HB shocks dialed? Best 1/12 shock ever
Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #5570
Tech Champion

Nice plug buddy

Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #5571
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Nice plug buddy
Try running the shock with the shock body down and on the ball cup on the body it should be put on the ball stud with the reamed side down.
RCSteve93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #5572
Tech Champion

I must have been lucky 'cause both sides of the ballstud cup were reamed the same way.
Running the shock body down gives what advantage? The only thing I can think of is maybe keeping the shock oil & piston in relative close contact with each other possibly reducing air bubbles.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #5573
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I must have been lucky 'cause both sides of the ballstud cup were reamed the same way.
Running the shock body down gives what advantage? The only thing I can think of is maybe keeping the shock oil & piston in relative close contact with each other possibly reducing air bubbles.
It reduces the roll center.
RCSteve93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #5574
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
I use Niftech which I find to be pretty interchangeable, handling-wise, with Paragon. Just can't find myself digging Jack...
That, my friend, is because you don't KNOW Jack.

Oh man, that was an easy setup...

Might see you guys next weekend.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 10-13-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #5575
Tech Champion

Hey JayBee you don't find too much slop in the rod ends on the HB shock? I pulled one off of a HB car I got in trade to try out on my BMI and yeah it's a nice shock but I have all kinds of play on the shock body side where it snaps on to the ball stud.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 AM   #5576
Tech Champion

Team BMI Hawaii did really good again today in 1/12th Xtant with the win after the lead car broke out of the race and I believe Frank finished in 3rd. I was getting used to the Speed 8HD body so my first qualifier was a bit off as I learned the way the car wanted to drive with that body. 2nd qualifer I had a wire come off the battery partway through the main so had a poor finish there. So I ended up with the win in the B main Yup we had enough cars today for a B main and not all the regulars showed up either! After the race was over I took the car out for some practice laps...threw the magenta rear tires back on the car and went to full compound on all 4 tires and the car was right on pace with the top 2 drivers. Felt a little down on power but that's not the cars fault So I'm finally back to a good fast setup that I can develope from there rather then grasping at straws like I have been for a few races. As far as I can tell the major problem I was having was with the body...just didn't suit my driving style. The 12B and the 8HD with the vent holes cut out both seem to have better front downforce then the standard 12 and the Zytek I had been playing around with. I did make a couple of other small changes based off of darnold's suggestions that helped as well.

Knocked a couple layers of graphite off the side of the chassis and my tires only have about 1 more run in them now so I'll be needing to make an order...but I think I can stretch that until the new parts come out in case some of my local guys want the new parts.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #5577
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Hey JayBee you don't find too much slop in the rod ends on the HB shock? I pulled one off of a HB car I got in trade to try out on my BMI and yeah it's a nice shock but I have all kinds of play on the shock body side where it snaps on to the ball stud.
Not at all buddy; I made sure that it's a TIGHT fit- I use a Tamiya open shoulder ball stud. 10mm set screw/nut/Tamiya ball stud.......perfect!.....put a drop of lube on the ball.
Every time I take the shock off, I take off the other end

Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 AM   #5578
Tech Champion

Ah I see so it is a metric end...that would explain it as I used the standard ball stud.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 AM   #5579
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yup like Gadgt posted I got my First A-Main Win in 12th Scale Today

Had not raced in a month and a half as we got rained out at one race and could'nt make the race before this one so was feeling a little rusty. But my BMI was as solid as always

Missed my gearing in the 1st qualifier but still took the win. Got the gearing right for the 2nd qualifier car was much better. Qualified 2nd for the A-Main which usually isn't a big deal as we usually only have an A-Main!hehehe But since we had a B-Main it felt good making the A!

Car was running great in the Main only issue being power? But considering what I am running I still find it funny that people think my car is Fast TQ's car was krazy fast but my car was close and things just worked in my favor when he broke. Took the win by 2 laps!

Best thing I loved about today's race was that my 1st and 2nd qualifiers as well as my main lap times were very consistent! Average lap times was 10.694, 10.620 and 10.502 with best lap times being 9.692, 9.658 and 9.612

Again I could'nt be happier with my BMI DB12R!!!!! I had a few bad crashes and the car never faultered!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #5580
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Hey J... For some reason, I keep forgetting to call you. If I don't call you by 8pm, then you call me.

Looking forward to running some 10.5 action at the Halloween Classic.