R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #4621
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Going to regular Ground FX instead of FX II should help some. If you have any influence over the track prep you might suggest rinsing off the track with a hose first to cut down on the pollen, if possible. I also found on our asphault, which was sealed with a sealer not friendly to foam tires, that grape soda just did not provide enough grip. We ended up using strawberry punch syrup. I buy 2 gallons of syrup and mix it 1:1 with water and empty all 4 gallons when spraying the track. It's tacky enough to leave shoes on the track if you forget to tie em

I have plenty of influence over the track prep. I'm the race director. lol. We start practice at about 1PM, so I guess if we spray it off at around 11 or 12 we should be dry by the time the track is ready to spray with soda or punch? Also, unfortunately there are trees around the track, so although spraying the track would definitely help, I don't know that it would help the whole day/night. So I guess we're kind of SOL. I am curious about this strawberry punch syrup mix you have going. Our track is not sealed (that I know of) Grape soda feels tacky at first, but then it kind of goes away, although traction does seem to stay consistent through the day. How do you think your mix would work on a surface that has not been sealed? Would it be too much bite? This past weekend I sprayed 15 litres of grape soda. But still, I had pollen on my car after every run. Maybe I need to build a tent over the track to keep pollen from getting to it. lol
punkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #4622
Tech Champion

Well even if the trees start pollenating all over the track again you'll still have a considerable amount less if you wash the track first. Out here the first half of the track is dry before I even finish. 15 Liters? That's quite a bit. Not sure how the punch syrup will work for you given that the track isn't sealed...but hey it may be worth a try. I know when we first started trying it we ended up with sugar donuts for wheels. We were racing at night then but when we switched to days that problem went away.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #4623
Tech Regular

jason

you have pm

thanks jimmy
jimmy..maddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #4624
Tech Champion

oh, we race into the night. So that may not be too good of an idea for us. Plus the humidity here (MD) is insane.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #4625
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Here are pics of the new super low pod plates. The axle sits 2mm lower than the stock plates. This will allow you to run your tires down to the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
BMI's DB12R-left-lowered-pod.jpg   BMI's DB12R-right-lowered-pod.jpg  
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #4626
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

How many runs on asphalt would you typically get out of a set of tires? I would start them as small as necessary for them to work.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #4627
Tech Lord

For club racing i start them larger at around 1.9 rear and 1.8 front. For high bite or for a real competitive race i run them about 1.750 rear and 1.650 front. In 19 turn i usually get about 9 or 10 runs on a set of tires and in mod around 5 or 6 runs(Larger tires). For the small tires they are 1-2 run tires
J Concepts
Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #4628
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Here are pics of the new super low pod plates. The axle sits 2mm lower than the stock plates. This will allow you to run your tires down to the wheel.
Is that to the wheel on the old rims or the new bigger diameter rims like the Parma 38's.

I like the idea of getting better mileage...but once the foam is gone then what? Glue rubber band or a LiveStong band on the wheel?
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #4629
Tech Lord

These will work excellent with either wheels. The stock pod plates that come with the car are the industry standard like the CRC,IRS and speedmerchant axle heights. I had some guys want to run there tires smaller so i made these pods for them.
J Concepts
Old 04-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #4630
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default questions

I am on the second race night with my DB12 and the car seems a little twichie to me. I am running on carpet, red center spring, angled servo, Jaco Lilac front, Jaco yellow rear. I changed to CRC magenta front and CRC pink rear and it traction rolled. It seems like it needs stiffer front springs. I am using the kit front springs, are the .020 or .018?

Tube lube is 30,000 diff lube.

Suggestions?
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #4631
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkboy View Post
oh, we race into the night. So that may not be too good of an idea for us. Plus the humidity here (MD) is insane.
Well we've gone into the night a few times and noticed the problem has stopped happening all together. Only way to know for sure is to try it. Humidity is pretty darn high here in Hawaii as well.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #4632
Tech Champion

Ok, I'll give it a try one night out here.

Speaking of Hawaii...have you met Mike Kling yet? Good chance you may have. He's raced a lot of T/A and Cooper out there so far. Does a lot with Touring cars too. He just moved out to Hawaii from MD about a month ago. Drives for Schumacher and Express.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #4633
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastforward View Post
I am on the second race night with my DB12 and the car seems a little twichie to me. I am running on carpet, red center spring, angled servo, Jaco Lilac front, Jaco yellow rear. I changed to CRC magenta front and CRC pink rear and it traction rolled. It seems like it needs stiffer front springs. I am using the kit front springs, are the .020 or .018?

Tube lube is 30,000 diff lube.

Suggestions?
Lilac and yellow is a good combo for stock racing. Try moving your batteries all the way forward and also cut back on your dual rate. Make sure your tires are cut down to a somewhat smaller size than stock. I usually start my carpet tires at 1.700 front and 1.800 rear. 30,000 is also a little much. try dropping to around 10,000. I also dont use the tweak screws(long 4-40 set screws in the flex plates). Let me know how it goes.
J Concepts
Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #4634
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkboy View Post
Ok, I'll give it a try one night out here.

Speaking of Hawaii...have you met Mike Kling yet? Good chance you may have. He's raced a lot of T/A and Cooper out there so far. Does a lot with Touring cars too. He just moved out to Hawaii from MD about a month ago. Drives for Schumacher and Express.
Sure have...I'm the local race director here for the on-road electric race. He raced my Mini for a few races when his stuff had not arrived yet. This weekend we'll finally get to race minis against each other Looking foward to it.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #4635
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Sure have...I'm the local race director here for the on-road electric race. He raced my Mini for a few races when his stuff had not arrived yet. This weekend we'll finally get to race minis against each other Looking foward to it.
InspGadgt, watch out for him.... He cheats!!!!

Just kidding!!!!! Mike is a class act and he's a blast in the pits as well...
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote