R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #2311
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

I ran around 58ish for a 10.5 and 63ish for a 13.5
Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #2312
Tech Master

wow $20+ per bearing... is that less your mark up? That cost seems like something only a factory team $$ driver would notice. I guess I mean to say someone who can drive for 8 min and not hit anything, including other cars.

Whith that said, I think I'd pay $10 but they better last a full race season.
E
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #2313
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Thanks for all of the input guys. It is helping me see what the demand on them is. Keep the oppinions coming
I could see it if my name was Mike Blackstock and I REALLY needed to beat some kid named Baker...but as it is I'm just Scottrik. I'd really LIKE to beat someone else you've never heard of but nifty bearings ain't gonna be the path to doing so. About the only difference I imagine I'D see would be the $20-odd hole in my wallet when I ruined another one. I'm just a simple club racer who's too honest to believe it's equipment holding me back now.

Another consideration...a 2-3 dollar bearing is expendable. It feels a little graunchy I throw it away without a thought. A $20+ bearing, though, I'd be inclined to rationalize that "if I clean it really well and oil it...there, that doesn't feel too bad". So much for the better performance, a new $2-3 bearing is probably better at that point. And how many people are really that different from me?

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #2314
Tech Fanatic

No $20 bearing for me. Regular ceramics (from RC4Less, excellent price and service) have lasted me almost 2 years, and still going strong. If there are shields, threads will get trapped between the shields and races as they do now, and if there are no shields, the c**p will get in and stall the balls/cages. One lap of missed apexes will negate any advantage your $20 bearings might give me!!

Totally agree with Brian about the larger bearings. My Corally ran for two years on one set of 7mm x 11mm rear axle bearings, including side hits hard enough to wreck the ride-height adjusters. 1/4 x 3/8 is just not up to the job of controlling 300+W of BL power, and the energy involved in the hits that result from that. $20 could last as far as the first turn of a Main!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #2315
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

These "special" bearings are not for everyone for sure. I myself, If I buy them will only use them when I compete against the top dogs of my region, or if visitors come to some of our races.

Our local track which is now closed, has hosted Barry B, Josh Cyrul, Chris Tosolini, and Hodgamoto at different times, and these bearings could have help me .001% against them

The rest of the time I'll just roll on good regular bearings.

Steve
corallyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #2316
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ok guys, Thanks for the feedback. I think i will steer clear of them then. THe funny thing is, This is my cost on them. I wasnt looking to make anything on them. I just wanted to see what you thought. THanks again guys. I think we are all on the same page.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 AM   #2317
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
I just learned the hard way about tightening the alloy pivot ball to tight. I was down to installing my last pivot ball on the servo saver when it snapped. What pivot ball can I use to replace the broken one or do I need to order spares from BMI?

Thanks, Pete
The ball studs are all standard size excpet for the shock mount ballstud. any standard 4-40 ballstud will work fine
J Concepts
Old 10-19-2007, 03:30 AM   #2318
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jason, do test the bearings that you got for samples and tell us the results. i am really interested about how much performance it gives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Ok guys, Thanks for the feedback. I think i will steer clear of them then. THe funny thing is, This is my cost on them. I wasnt looking to make anything on them. I just wanted to see what you thought. THanks again guys. I think we are all on the same page.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 AM   #2319
Tech Lord

Hey guys,

I have let Boca know that we will not carry the bearings. I will still try a set out but i really dont see any interest in them.
J Concepts
Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #2320
Tech Regular

which leads nicely onto another question...why do we have 2 bearings in the front (per wheel), why not 1 longer one?
TraceRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #2321
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Jason,
One of my pet peeves with 12th scale has been the ride height range of the rear adjusters in the rear pods. Its been probably a decade since the on-road 10th scale cousin has vanished and yet we still have no use for a ride adjuster in a middle possition let alone, flipped over. At some point, does it make sense to lower the axle slot in the rear pods so that we are not using only #1 &#4's or #3.0 & #3.5? I guess where I am going with this is.... ta da.... mold up some ride blocks that will take the 1/4 x 1/2's. I think that I spent $17 a bearing at Boca for that ceramic that lasted 2 years. And these bearings got used a couple a times a week for 6 months during regular season. I know as Slapmaster Tools, I wont do anything with this idea... only because the car guys have to change the rear bulkheads first.

****** Anouncement*******

Slapmaster Tools will have foam bumpers for the DB12R to help protect our investment! I have a proto-type on my ride, I took a hit last week that should have required a dust pan to clean up. I wiped the black mark off of the body and I would have never known differently. No body dents from the chassis, no post hole earthquakes, the front end was still on the car and they weigh only 2 grams. Jason has expressed interest in carrying the bumper at his shop as well. I should have the bumpers today. I should be able to get Jason a batch late next week (if all goes well). I have a 3 day event that I will be attending within the hour and will not be around to answer any more questions. SMT #115 DB12R Foam Bumper, $7.

Brian-www.slapmastertools.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #2322
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

put me down for one of those bumpers !!! I have Dremel dust all over my workshop from " making" a bumper !!!

Good to see the rc community get behind a car, a project, and make it work, and have everyone share tips and hints is a bonus !!

anyon know of 15k lube out there ??
I ran 10 k, and then bumped up to 30 k which was too much, will get some 20k next time, but looks lie i will be in the 10k- 15k-20k range on carpet , just dont know of any 15 k out there ??

Any one using anything else ?? IRS lube.. Losi Stuff...ect...

for the brushless guys, I am running 10.5 with a rollout of 60 mm.. and a motor temp of 148 and speedo temp in the 120's, what are you guys running and getting for temps
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #2323
Regional Moderator

Losi 15K diff lube
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12734
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #2324
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hey Jason,

Spindle is on its way should be there by the middle of next week.

Wes
redlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #2325
Tech Lord

Brian,

I will make some ride height adjusters for the bigger bearings in my lathe and see if i can make them for a reasonable price. It shouldnt be a problem. I can machine some out of delrin. I will keep you posted and post some pics when they are finished. I will knock off a set tommorow.
Thats great news on the bumpers bro. Let me know when they ship
J Concepts