BMI's DB12R

Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Regional Moderator

For the front bearings, the real question is how long they will last when you hit the boards (big lateral load). $132 for a set of 6 bearings will buy 132 bearings from AvidRC.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This was my thoughts. The front bearings will never have any issues being that they see the least amount of load. Most front bearings will outlast the car. The rear bearings take the grunt of all impacts due to the majority of the car weight is in the rear. It is extremely expensive and yes you can buy alot of bearings for the same price from other companies. The reason i was looking into this was because they are in a different class of bearings. They are the most free running bearing that you can buy and will not have carpet fuzz and dust sticking to them being that they run completely dry. Oil attracts dirt and fuzz which will get stuck inside the bearings and pretty much destroy them. Most serious racers run light oil in the bearings to make them extremely free. This is alot more efficient and free running than a standard ceramic bearing with light oil. They are used in high performance racing of all sorts and i wanted to see if there was any interest in this form of racing. I have not made any commitment so i wanted to see if this would be of interest to any of you guys. I can get standard ceramic bearings and offer them or just leave the bearing sales to companies like avid and others. If there was interest i would make the investment and offer it. If not, thats fine. Just a feeler guys.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Tech Lord

as a side note, I ordered a set to try out before i do anything. I want to see what they are all about. I will post the outcome reguardless to let you guys know how they run.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

do they come in whatever sizes the novak brushless motors use?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

J,
What kind of shields do those bearings have?
I have seen some dry ceramics that run about $30 a bearing but they are white ceramic and the race is also ceramic but they have no shields which totally makes no sence to me.
I get regular ceramics (lightly oiled), they seem to last and last too. But I would be curious about the ones your looking into.

-Shookie <><
Old 10-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Lord

I can get them in whatever size i like to be honest. The price of the actual bearing isnt terrible, Its the lube process that makes the price insane.

Shookie,

I will find out more info on them. The sales guy from Boca was telling me about them when i put in my order for the bearings for the car. I told him to send me a set and i will try them out and let him know. I will get all of the details on them tommorow. I was really not certain on how to answer the guy because on 1 hand, I love performance and i know alot of guys do also. On the otherhand, The price is really high and may not be worth it if it doesnt show some sort of increase of performance. I wont sell anything that is just gimic. I want to make sure they are what they say and if so i will start seriously thinking about it. Until then, I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I really want to have everyones oppinion on this.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yea the guys are Boca are pretty good about coming up with new things.
There Nitro Ceramics are sick....I have the same set in my Jammin Truggy for about a year now. Only ones that need replacing is the Clutch bell.

Let us know what you think.

-Shookie <><
Old 10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have put 3 race days on the kit bearing that came with the car and feel like they are starting to show signs of gritting up. I motor sprayed them and oiled them back up.... got a 3 dayer this weekend with the car. We'll see how they hold up after 6 days. I know that in a phone conversation that you said they were an upper quality bearing. I guess I would hate to see a $23+ bearing get crushed in a one time side impact just to gain that .05 second per lap. But then I have wasted lots of money on things that didn't go anywhere! I think that when you test these bearings, you will quickly find the answer you want. I hope it works.

I have punched out my ride blocks and use 1/4x1/2" bearings. I stepped up and bought ceramics. They last about 2 years on one set. My feelings are our current 1/4x3/8" are undersized, but if you can drop in a fresh one for $4.50.... who cares.

Maybe next time we can find some magnetic frictionless bearings. Giddy up!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

I would be interested but only for 2 in the rear axle.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Jason,

I would probably perfer just the rear bearings as well, (like Fred). At that cost I think we could probably servive fine on normal standard front bearings.

I believe that I have seen either these bearings or something very similar before and they were very impressive performing. They spun forever. The 2 guys who had them would not tell me where they got them from either

Steve
Old 10-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by protc3
The front bearings will never have any issues being that they see the least amount of load. Most front bearings will outlast the car.
My son's car begs to differ. When he lost a front wheel in the spring, all that was left on the axle were the inner races, dutifully held in place by the axle nut. Must have been his pinball style of driving.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Lord

That is some good hit buddy.

Thanks for all of the input guys. It is helping me see what the demand on them is. Keep the oppinions coming
Old 10-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

I seem to go through front bearings a bit. Not sure if it is from the dirt ruining them or pinball driving....probably a little of both. I think Slap is right about a larger bearing size as well. I remember back in the original RC10T days RPM had the rear hub with the larger bearings which really worked well. It never really caught on though...everyone still uses the smaller more fragile bearing.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just learned the hard way about tightening the alloy pivot ball to tight. I was down to installing my last pivot ball on the servo saver when it snapped. What pivot ball can I use to replace the broken one or do I need to order spares from BMI?

Thanks, Pete
Old 10-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Jason/Adrian or anybody else,

What kind of rollout are you guys running with a 10.5? I am talking carpet and approximately 90x40.

Thanks guys,
Rob Love

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.