R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #2116
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr View Post
whats teh recommend starting sizes for 12th scale tires then? I know nothing about 12th hehe
I start mine at 1.800 rear and 1.700 front on carpet. On higher bite i start them at 1.700 rear and 1.630 front. on asphalt i just cut them lightly to ensure roundness and run them down from there.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #2117
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

Aight, thanks J, Let me know when my baby arrives, that way i know she made a safe journey
Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #2118
Tech Lord

Not a problem.
J Concepts
Old 10-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #2119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Hey joey, it will be my first time there racin to Lol... but I would suggest run the kit setting. As for tires either run Jaco dual stages double pinks all around or Jaco prizims purple front and pink rear.

When I get my car set I can better help you this will be the second time i ran 1/12th asphalt in about 10+ year's Lol...

Just come on over to my pit area and I can help ya anytime Bro,

see ya there
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
ill be there also with my DB12R mike got any setup tips for that track? i have never been there before.

1/12th Fo' Life!!! R.I.P Mike Reedy, R.I.P John Williams

[-Horsham RC-] [-Jackson RC-] [-RC Car World-] [ Black Out Free 2015 ]
mike ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #2120
Tech Addict

Hi Tom,

Like others have mentioned, that is pretty big tires to run, especially with a 4mm ride height.

Before you start chasing car set up, I recommend truing your tires down to 1.75" rear and 1.65" front and see how your car handles with that.

I also meant to ask what traction compound you are using and how much you are doping the front tires? I recommend starting with full rear and less than half the inside of the front tires.

-Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical X View Post
Hi Rich,

1) I started with NIB Jaco Prisms and didn't true them down. The rears started at 1.9" and the fronts were 1.8". After the practice runs, the rears are down to 1.8" and the fronts are down to 1.75".
2) The Jaco Prisms are rounded quite a bit right out of the box.
3) The ride height was set to 4mm all around.

Thanks.
RichChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #2121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckearns View Post
Looks like Slapmaster got his kit in... Any definitive word on the correct p/n for the thrust bearing with the kit axle assembly?

Thanks,
Chris
I ran the car completely stock as Jason wanted it. I didn't want to dilute his work with any accessories until I drove the car. I thought the car was great. Since it's the standard IRS axle, you will want to use the #101 Thrust kit.
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #2122
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike ivy View Post
Hey joey, it will be my first time there racin to Lol... but I would suggest run the kit setting. As for tires either run Jaco dual stages double pinks all around or Jaco prizims purple front and pink rear.

When I get my car set I can better help you this will be the second time i ran 1/12th asphalt in about 10+ year's Lol...

Just come on over to my pit area and I can help ya anytime Bro,

see ya there
Mike
ok thanks.. now i need to find a motor to
Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #2123
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichChang View Post
Hi Tom,

Like others have mentioned, that is pretty big tires to run, especially with a 4mm ride height.

Before you start chasing car set up, I recommend truing your tires down to 1.75" rear and 1.65" front and see how your car handles with that.

I also meant to ask what traction compound you are using and how much you are doping the front tires? I recommend starting with full rear and less than half the inside of the front tires.

-Rich
These are the same numbers I find best to start from; least chance of ripping chunks and good mass to height for longevity. Brian tells the truth on the tall tyres and stripping them off the rims. I run a tiny CA beard on them brand new.

Jacko
Victor Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 AM   #2124
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichChang View Post
Hi Tom,

-Rich
Sounds good Rich. Earlier this evening I cut down a set to the 1.75" and 1.65" dimensions.

For your question on traction compound, I'm using Jack the Gripper and have been covering full rear and the inside 2/3 for the front. I would let it soak in for 15 minutes and the wipe it off a few minutes before running it on the track (CRC Carpet). I'll try your suggestion and cover less than 1/2 of the front tires. How long should I let it soak in and when should I wipe it off?

As previously mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I went ahead and rebuilt the flex-plate assemblies on my car. I noticed that one of the set screws used to eliminate the slop in on the pivot ball of the flex plate had loosened up. In fact, it was at a point where it would not tighten up properly without locking up the pivot ball movement. I replaced the flex plate with a new one and everything is good. The rear pod is now parallel to the main chassis left to right.

I also replaced the steering knuckles as there was too much slop in them. A big thanks goes to Dave Arnold for some additional tips on fitting the steering knuckles to the king pins for free movement and no slop.

So with the newly trued tires and the suspension repairs I mentioned, I put everything back together and set the ride height to 3.5mm. I checked it on my tweak station and everything looks good.

I'll be running it this Saturday so we'll how it performs.

Thanks,
Chemical X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #2125
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal

Hi there:

I'm just getting into the 1/12 scene.... where I can buy this car that ships to Spain?

Thanks a lot,
al
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:01 AM   #2126
Uga
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampal View Post
Hi there:

I'm just getting into the 1/12 scene.... where I can buy this car that ships to Spain?

Thanks a lot,
al
Just give a PM to Jason (protc3), that you are interested in buying the car, he will take care of you
-=Awesomatix A800X=-
Racing in Latvia
Uga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #2127
Tech Lord

Tim XLB,

Give me a buzz bro
J Concepts
Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #2128
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Car felt great on carpet, dialed first time on carpet with this car!!!!!!

Wes
redlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #2129
Tech Lord

Ben,

I got the car buddy. I went through it and found a few problems. The front arm screws were cut short and the front arms were pretty unstable and gave the car about 1degree of arm sweep. I replaced the screws and put a set of my new arm shims in there and now the arms are solid and there is no more arm sweep. The rear axle shimming you fixed and that was good. The car was unbalanced. That is one big speedo buddy Its a nice one though. I moved the switch and transponder and added 8 grams to the right side and now that is good. I rebuilt the diff, changed the front springs because they were collapsed, The set screw for the ball tension on the left side flex plate needed to be screwed in about 1 turn which made it have play on 1 side giving it a tweaked effect. I srewed the one in and set the play in both sides even and took the set screws out of the flex plates to make it a little softer. The car should be DIALED when you get it back. She is all finished and ready to be packaged back up.
J Concepts
Old 10-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #2130
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

Wow jason, amazing service! I dont know anyone eles in the industry who takes as good of care of their customers as BMI.
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote