Old 10-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #2101
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Chemical X you have a PM.

MXRacer you have a PM.
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #2102
Tech Addict

I hear he is nothing but trouble... and seems to like monkeys that point at things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropy View Post
Plus there's that Rich Chang guy..........
RichChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 AM   #2103
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was fixing my car up when one screw just would not fit. The 2/56 button head screw. Its head would not allow my wrench to insert into it fully. In the end, as expected, the screw stripped!
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:04 AM   #2104
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropy View Post
Ben ~ Even after all of that you still had the fastest lap of the day, Just wait 'till the next race day
Ya, i actually had to drive my @$$ off for that one lap lol it was a 12.7 sec lap with a 13.5, sedan 10.5 fastest lap of the nigh twas a 11.9 i think.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:16 AM   #2105
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical X View Post
Thanks SlowerOne. What are your thoughts when you can see the inside front tire lifting during on-power turns?
Are you sure the wheel is lifting? Is it getting caught in the wheel arches and flipping the body back?

If it is lifting, then my thought is that the rear is too soft. However, if you built the car to kit, then that can't be right because no one else has had that problem. I am sure it is something in your set-up, so I'd take Jason's offer and send him the car.

This is where the careful designing, manufacture and marketing goes belly up! Put an excellent product in the hands of some people (no offence to anyone here, look at how many people crash Ferraris, and they are built to handle!) and the result is not what was intended. I know that the car is excellent, but I also know that building and setting a 12th car is not easy. Persevere and it will come right. Take a shortcut - get Jason to lay the hands of a master on it!

My thinking on rear damping is that the springs are supposed to absorb the energy, and the dampers dissipate it. Therefore, if you want more steering (more energy absorbed in the rear) you need a stiffer 'spring'. The dampers only dissipate energy, so if you want more progressive transition, increase the damping. However, going stiffer and stiffer on the damping might reduce the initial roll (more 'spring' energy dissipated by working against the damping, more steering) but then it corrects slowly (takes a long time to dissipate the energy of the 'unwinding' spring), making the car hook out of a turn. Just my 2c...
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:54 AM   #2106
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

some ferraris dont handle that well,id say the db12 is more like the maclaren F1
lignum vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #2107
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lignum vitae View Post
some ferraris dont handle that well,id say the db12 is more like the maclaren F1
Oh no! Ron Dennis and Bernt Pietschereider (head of BMW at the time) both managed to crash McLaren F1s...
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #2108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Jason: email sent
Brian
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #2109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Wazup fella's, cant wait for this weekend gonna rip on some asphalt 1/12th scale with my DB12R on a 200 foot long straightaway.Hope the weather holds out

1/12th Fo' Life!!! R.I.P Mike Reedy, R.I.P John Williams

[-Horsham RC-] [-Jackson RC-] [-RC Car World-] [ Black Out Free 2015 ]
mike ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #2110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike ivy View Post
Wazup fella's, cant wait for this weekend gonna rip on some asphalt 1/12th scale with my DB12R on a 200 foot long straightaway.Hope the weather holds out
ill be there also with my DB12R mike got any setup tips for that track? i have never been there before.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #2111
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichChang View Post
Chemical X - maybe I missed it, but I had a few questions:

1) What size tires are you running front and rear?
2) How much are you rounding the tire edges (inside and outside edges) after truing the tires?
3) What ride height are you running (front, middle, and rear)?

-Rich
Hi Rich,

1) I started with NIB Jaco Prisms and didn't true them down. The rears started at 1.9" and the fronts were 1.8". After the practice runs, the rears are down to 1.8" and the fronts are down to 1.75".
2) The Jaco Prisms are rounded quite a bit right out of the box.
3) The ride height was set to 4mm all around.

Thanks.
Chemical X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #2112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That's some massive tyres there Tommy boy !! Big head aches trying to float around on soooo much rubber.
Victor Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #2113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

whats teh recommend starting sizes for 12th scale tires then? I know nothing about 12th hehe
Old 10-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #2114
Tech Elite

I drug the truer across the new Jacos as I didn't feel they were round enough, taking them to 1.88 & 1.78. The edges did seem rounded enough for my liking. My comments are more for Jaco then a DB12R thread: is the yellow the foam of days old? They seem to wear like an ecconomy rubber. Sitll, they provided excellent traction for 8 minutes with no changes through out the run.... very important. Plus, with any of the large wheels that have come out lately, they seem to be prone to tearing/peeling very easily. Just brush a wall, and you better check your tires for peel. I received the Jaco yellow/lillac combo for my car, use Jack on CRC Fast Track II. I highly recommend that combo if your are stumped. Again, Jason has done his research and is not just selling you "a tire".

Some maybe looking for the answer of what makes better steering; servo in the mounts up or flat. From what I have experienced, up is more aggressive and flat is more mellow. Also, another big tip is the alignment of the steering links altering ackerman. If they were in a straight line from steering spindle to spindle, it will provide the least ackerman and the less aggressive steering over the course of 8 minutes. Start sweeping them forward and it will become more aggressive and possibly at some tracks begin to loosen the car up in the final minute. Play with it and find your own answer.

Like the instruction call out for: spend some time on the front end..... it's worth it. I will spend about 2 hours properly trimming, shaving, shimming, & sanding the front. Critical!!!
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #2115
Tech Apprentice

Looks like Slapmaster got his kit in... Any definitive word on the correct p/n for the thrust bearing with the kit axle assembly?

Thanks,
Chris
ckearns is offline   Reply With Quote