Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
this is not very likely. just sit a motor on top of a floppy for even a day and see if the floppy still works. I guarantee you that it will have no effect. we use a high power electromagnet that spins to even clear backup tapes. to clear a hard drive we have to run this thing for like almost 1 hour.
I am an IT Engineer who prime function is Engineering Open system UNIX/Sybase/Oracle/Windows/and anything else backups to disk and tape. We backup about 80 terabytes a night and then make a duplicate copy of 25 TBs. What kind of tapes are you using? LTO? STK? IBM? We run 1 pass to write 1s and 0s to overwrite the data on the tape...

A laptop/home computer disk drives are not the same as business ones. They do not have the shielding to protect the spinning disks which are magneticily written to. I seen a contractor put a magnet on top of a IBM blade ( he used it to pick up metal shaving from install a CRAC unit in our data center ) and completely wipe out 250 Gigs of data in a nano second. We had to do a bare-metal-restore to a new server since that was was toast....
Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I speak from 15 years of enterprise backup experience....
Old 10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

I tried to wipe a floppy by sticking it to my motor zapper a number of years ago.

Although the floppy stuck to the zapper (just a gigantic electro-magnet) for a couple minutes (you have to shut it down periodically since it gets so hot), the floppy was still fine.

I had to format the disk to destroy the data.

However, I did accidently wipe my credit card when I put it in the same pocket as a few neodium magnets (I had forgotten I had them in my pocket). That sucked.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

Ok lets talk about the car.The 2 tubes that attach to the bottom of the upper part of the pod to each side.what are they doing and how do they work ?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The tubes are dampeners. If you are familiar with a regular touring car shock, the tubes would be the same thing as the shock and the flex plates would be the spring. The thing thats doing the dampening is diff fluid that you spread on the tubes before putting them inside each other.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Would you need to check their rebound rate /length so the pod doesn't twist under a load. or does the geometry of the flexplate,pivot balls, center shock dictate what length?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

they are pretty much set and forget kinda things, they have no rebound because there is an airhole at the bottom, The dampeners slow down the chassis roll efect in the corners
Old 10-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
I am an IT Engineer who prime function is Engineering Open system UNIX/Sybase/Oracle/Windows/and anything else backups to disk and tape. We backup about 80 terabytes a night and then make a duplicate copy of 25 TBs. What kind of tapes are you using? LTO? STK? IBM? We run 1 pass to write 1s and 0s to overwrite the data on the tape...

A laptop/home computer disk drives are not the same as business ones. They do not have the shielding to protect the spinning disks which are magneticily written to. I seen a contractor put a magnet on top of a IBM blade ( he used it to pick up metal shaving from install a CRAC unit in our data center ) and completely wipe out 250 Gigs of data in a nano second. We had to do a bare-metal-restore to a new server since that was was toast....
I had a whole long paragraph typed up, but to each his own. simply put, magnets will not clear hard drives. check this link out it take quite a big field to degause a tape. http://www.thic.org/pdf/Jan01/FujiFi...EGA4010116.PDF
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
I speak from 15 years of enterprise backup experience....
I speak from 11 years of owning an it consulting company to fortune 500 and gov entities such as the fed. and then 10 more in industrial control systems.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Quick question(s) for anyone running on carpet.

Has anyone found that the car will want to re-center itself on a sweeper coming off the straight. I finally got a chance to run the car last night and I found that it was a problem. Is it from the servo saver giving in or because I am not running the servo flat or something else.

The other thing that I was wondering would lighter front spring take away the on power push? Off power it will turn amazing on power not as well as I would like. I am running more steering than I would and think that it is scrubbing speed more than I thought.

Has anyone had to take tweek out of the car. What screws are used in the U plates to apply tweek. I am still .01 to .02mm off on ride height in the front so it induces some tweek. I am concerned about taking more material off the arms. I have taken alot off enough that I am grinding away at the raised section in the center of the arm.

Any more thoughts or idea would be a big help. The 12th scale guys around me are pretty tight lipped on how to get a car setup right.
Mark
Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

for the onpower push you can do a couple of things. You can take all of the uptravel out of the front of the car by adding 1 more king pin shim per side. You can also add a 1mm shim under the medium ballstud on the shock mount/antenna mount. You can try adding a little more front camber and also going to a little heavier side dampening.

For the front ride height, I have made precision aluminum front shims for the arms that hold the ride height even lef to right. They do not compress at all. The slight bit of difference you have in ride height can be compensated for with adding a thin shim under the high side to even it out to make things easier for you. The stock shims have been working really well for me. I just changed to the new aluminum shims for ease of adjustment.

Post your setup,tire compund,motor,and track conditions and we will get you where you need to be.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mxracer23
Quick question(s) for anyone running on carpet.

Has anyone found that the car will want to re-center itself on a sweeper coming off the straight. I finally got a chance to run the car last night and I found that it was a problem. Is it from the servo saver giving in or because I am not running the servo flat or something else.

The other thing that I was wondering would lighter front spring take away the on power push? Off power it will turn amazing on power not as well as I would like. I am running more steering than I would and think that it is scrubbing speed more than I thought.

Has anyone had to take tweek out of the car. What screws are used in the U plates to apply tweek. I am still .01 to .02mm off on ride height in the front so it induces some tweek. I am concerned about taking more material off the arms. I have taken alot off enough that I am grinding away at the raised section in the center of the arm.

Any more thoughts or idea would be a big help. The 12th scale guys around me are pretty tight lipped on how to get a car setup right.
Mark

you may try an .018 front spring and also move the batteries up one hole. I find the front end a little light and the softer front spring allows the front end to stay planted and with the batts all the way back, i find the car to double steer into corners
Old 10-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Jason,

You'll have to forgive my lack of 12 scale knowledge still trying to get a handle on them so here is what I've got.

I miss typed my ride height issue 0.1-0.2mm difference sorry. I thought I had it sorted out but I changed to a non-steped ride height gauge and it shows that it's still there.

I am going to call today and get a set of ride height adjusters and see if that will eliminate the problem.

My setup is:
Base setup in kit instructions,
no changes

Carpet Track/RC Madness CT, tight smooth, medium grip

Liliac Front
Yellow Rears
Paragon 1/2 on front, Full rear, no glue

CO27 32/88 1.80 rear tires front(can't remember)
GTX max punch
IB's all the way back
Futaba Digital servo 9...
Kimbrough servo saver CRC carbon brace
z-1 no change to throttle or steering curve
12b Body

Car is blanced perfect, track width corrected for new jaco's
On power push, slight tweek left front, rideheight off
Old 10-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Double post

Last edited by mxracer23; 10-05-2007 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Double post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.