Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How powerful motor can I use? >

How powerful motor can I use?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi folks,

This is probably a stupid question among you guys who`s been in the game longer then me, but anyway, here goes:

I`ve got an 6 year old electric touring car with an electric Futaba MC 210CB speed controller, and I`m looking to make this car as fast as possible (arent we all....) without changing this speed controller. At the moment I`m running a 21T motor, but what is the limit with a speed controller like this? I`ve seen motors down to 7T double, but I have a feeling that a motor like that would kill this speed controller? Or can I shove any engine in there and just drive?

Thanks for answers,

Stian
Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

According to this page you can go down to a 14 turn.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your reply! Do you know if this is only single engines, or can I also use 14T double as I`ve seen there`s most of? And also, I`ve seen 14t Modified.... What`s this, and can I use this?

Thanks,

Stian
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK...they are motors, not engines.

Second I don't think that I would go any lower than a 15T. Even if the ESC is rated for a 14T the amps that the new batteries and motors put out, you will probably cook the ESC

Jay

ESC= electronic speed control
Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

It is not always advisable to go to a lower turn motor than its recommendations. Sometimes it is the heat that the ESC can handle rather than the turn limit.

Many years ago I use to run a Tekin Rebel 1st generation rated down to a 10T motor. It handled a 14T well but would get hot. It always thermaled with the 10T. I put a smaller pinion on the motor and was able to run the ESC with the 14T and it stayed cool that way. I then tried the 10T and it helped but still shut down at times. After a while I just left the 14T on it. I've known that guys have run lower turn motors but gear for torque to keep the motor cool. Thier car was slower than with the recommended motor.

I think your ESC, the 210 series is rated at 20T. The 310 series should be the one for 13T or more turns.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i got a MC330cr and it is rated to 14t....i got this awesome 15x2 motor and the ESC would get soooooo hot.....and i would be crawling around....like 5%throttle....one of the guys at a hobby shop down here said "always leave at least a 1 turn margine" so i did, but with little progress......so i put the 330 aside n went and got my self a IPC 7.1 awesome speedie....no motor limit....got it cheap aswell.....

i say just get a better speedie coz u will get hookd in this hobby and ull want better and fasta...sooo get the good stuff early.