Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ep4200 vs. intellect ib 4200wc

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DENNIS STORTI
yes the wins are true Jack but the cell being unstable an doa cells is the common problem u cant argue that. ib did a great job getting voltage for sure but they lost the reliabilty because of it an im sure the cells that were used to win were hand picked cells that were looked after or very fresh for the nats

correct me if im wrong
The packs we ran at the race were from inventory (about 2 weeks old). They weren't hand picked, but they were relatively fresh.
Self discharging is a problem with all of these new cells. They all do it. Right now, the IB's seem to have crossed the line where the performance advantage is not worth the reliability issues to many people. I fully understand that. We don't like selling bad cells anymore than the consumer likes buying them. It's not good business to have unhappy customers. Fortunately, these issues are being addressed quickly and, hopefully, successfully by IB. We just got in some samples of a lower self-discharge cell they have been working on. We will evaluate it's performance and reliability and let everyone know the results.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
The packs we ran at the race were from inventory (about 2 weeks old). They weren't hand picked, but they were relatively fresh.
Self discharging is a problem with all of these new cells. They all do it. Right now, the IB's seem to have crossed the line where the performance advantage is not worth the reliability issues to many people. I fully understand that. We don't like selling bad cells anymore than the consumer likes buying them. It's not good business to have unhappy customers. Fortunately, these issues are being addressed quickly and, hopefully, successfully by IB. We just got in some samples of a lower self-discharge cell they have been working on. We will evaluate it's performance and reliability and let everyone know the results.
hey that is all im saying get the cells more reliable we all no that you have a good deal with ib
Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hate ib's... but if you are a hard core racer and want to go fast you have to run them.
I read in the July issue of Quiet & Electric Flight International (an English magazine for R/C electric planes) that GP is coming out with a GP4300 H-MPV cell. It's suppose to be a high voltage cell for the car guys. Is this old news ?
Does anybody have any new info. ?
Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag88
I hate ib's... but if you are a hard core racer and want to go fast you have to run them.

Thanks.
This is not true.Ep cells are just as competitive.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Rookie

So wait I thought packs were supposed to lose 50 seconds of runtime on the first charge? I misunderstood this whole time, I thought I had a bunch of killer packs of IB's over here.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Well actually. The reason why some people are getting bad cells is because they dont charge their IB cells up after not using them for a week of none use. The new IB's loose charge faster, So if you dont use them for about 5 days, u need to fully charge them. This will eliminate you from loosing any cells in the pack. Then when you go race, you just discharge and equalize the cells.

Both EP and IB cells are very competitive. Its really a personal choice. The Ep's are a little lower in #'s, but not as much IR. IB's are higher in #'s, but more IR. It almost eqauls each other out.

Plus, for the EP cells you need to cycle them about 5 times before they are woken up. Then they are really good packs. The IB's take only about 1 or 2 cycles and are good packs from the beginning.

Chris
Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

yeah well most people dont use there packs for 5 days so u mean that my packs need to be charged fully so they can discharge over the week to not lose a cell.come on that is ridiculous roar an the tracks in the us should make a leap of good faith with there customers and racers. bring bagk gp 3300 an stop all this foolish crap run them deadshort them. and if we all have to run them its the same for everyone better packs will always goto top guys no matter what is said on this forum. i ran for a top battery matcher an lets just say the sticks that were given to me at the snowbirds were better than any store bought stick will ever be
Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Im saying to charge the pack up fully if you wont use the pack in a week. the new IB cells have a faster self discharge rate and loose voltage faster in a shorter amount of time. If you charge the pack up fully and let sit for 2 weeks or more, itll be fine.
Cells right now are at their peak performance, and are the best theyve even been. Maintance is a cost for high end packs. And if you want to stay competitive you need to take care of you packs. Because if you dont, you'll find yourself buying more. How hard can it be to go the extra step to help your batteries, making them last longer, and improving their performance?
Get Lipo batteries if your worried about all the maintance that you have to do. Sure they are better, but they cost alot more, and you have to have a special charger.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TL_XXX-S_racer
Get Lipo batteries if your worried about all the maintance that you have to do.
Sure they are better,
Not true. NIMH does better in some classes.
but they cost alot more,
Not true. You can get 400+ cycles from an $80 lipo or you can get 40+ cycles from a $65 NIMH. You do the math.
and you have to have a special charger.
Not true. How "special" is the ICE? I see more of them in the pits than any other charger these days...

This is a thread about IB vs. EP. Can we leave the lipo disinformation out of it?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

well they dont cost more if u have them for a year an speacil are u saying my checkpoint chargers are special
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

K got it. No lipo.
Well when you dont have a charger that charges lipos, then yes, you have to get another one.

And yes lipos are more expensive because Orions4800 is $140. You can get 2 really good IB or EP 4200's for that much. Maybe 3.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

And yes lipos are more expensive because Orions4800 is $140. You can get 2 really good IB or EP 4200's for that much. Maybe 3.
And the Orion 4800 will last 10X longer than those 2 or 3 IB or EP 4200 packs. I'll do the math for you:

At $65 per pack, you would need to buy $650 worth of NIMH's (or 10 packs) to get 400+ cycles or you could just buy one Orion 4800 for $140.

Last edited by Leodis; 07-19-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

Ok. Then you have to add the cost for the charger. Which is what, 180?
Even if you get 50 cycles for each pack, you will have 500 total cycles.
I dont want this to get out of hand, Im just trying to say that the IB and EP packs are very high end packs, and need more care than others. And thats what it takes to keep them that way.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Ok. Then you have to add the cost for the charger. Which is what, 180?
Ok. Then you have to add the cost of a good discharger/equalizer for NIMH. Which is what, $120?

I dont want this to get out of hand, Im just trying to say that the IB and EP packs are very high end packs, and need more care than others. And thats what it takes to keep them that way.
All in good fun. We can both agree that these packs require a lot of care and no one should buy them if they're not willing to keep up a good maintenance schedule. That being said, I think EP's are more durable than IB's. IB's may have better numbers, but I run mod so that's not a huge issue for me...
Old 07-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

But people who race, and have these packs will already have this equitment, and should if you have them if you have any sort of batteries.

Ya, EP's would be good for mod, they are alittle more consitant during a run and dont fall off. but if you run stock, or 19t like me IB's are the best thing ever. lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.