Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
'Cogging' Problem between Nosram ISTC & Novak >

'Cogging' Problem between Nosram ISTC & Novak

'Cogging' Problem between Nosram ISTC & Novak

Old 08-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had this type of problem when one of the sensor wires was not making contact in the connector. In my case, I think it was the green wire. It could also be a crapped out hall sensor in the motor or a break in the connection anywhere between the two. If you can, try another motor on your controller and try the suspect motor on another controller. Check the sensor connector while it is installed into the controller and make sure none of the pins have been pushed back.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

That was my next solution. The sensors inside the can are epoxyed on and not a very good job at that. Personally, I think this new line is just 4300 and 5800 stock rebadged to move older stock, but hey.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
That was my next solution. The sensors inside the can are epoxyed on and not a very good job at that. Personally, I think this new line is just 4300 and 5800 stock rebadged to move older stock, but hey.
I am pretty sure you are correct. The only difference being the larger output beaing. They do have the larger output bearing, don't they?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Hey Guys,

There "could be" a number of problems. Please email me with your information and I'll be sure I track this motor down for you.

From what you've described, it would likely be related to some sort of failure in the motor, it could be anything from the sensors themselves, to the harness. If another motor works fine with the Same ESC, the only real issue could be minor wiring problems. I'm sure all of that was checked so we don't need to cover that here.

You can email directly through [email protected] , or [email protected] Lately we've been having some issues with the Filter and Hotmail and Yahoo accounts, but hopefully that will be sorted out soon.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 08-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Default Charlie, Bob, dont be mad at me

Charlie, Bob, dont be mad at me, you know I am the biggest Novak fan on these boards that aint paid to compliment your stuffbut, I have heard that the sensors come loose from time to time (RURC ahem). To the defense of Novak, it would HELP if he started with a NOVAK ESCSounds like the motor was rejecting by juice lol.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Charlie
Hey Guys,

There "could be" a number of problems. Please email me with your information and I'll be sure I track this motor down for you.

From what you've described, it would likely be related to some sort of failure in the motor, it could be anything from the sensors themselves, to the harness. If another motor works fine with the Same ESC, the only real issue could be minor wiring problems. I'm sure all of that was checked so we don't need to cover that here.

You can email directly through [email protected] , or [email protected] Lately we've been having some issues with the Filter and Hotmail and Yahoo accounts, but hopefully that will be sorted out soon.

Thanks
Charlie
Cheers, I believe it's currently with the distributor in the UK.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hope i'm not barking up the wrong tree, but are you using an lrp/nosram speedie with a novak motor? If that is the case a couple of people here in oz have had lrp motors fail and borrowed a novak and had problems.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Having gone back to the distributor the motor was replaced with a new one, they did not say what the problem had been.

However, where I mentioned before that my endpoints had to come down to 58% before anything was affected, now it only has to go down to 97% before speed is lost.

Presumably some sort of sensor error then?

Skiddins
Old 09-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

On it's first meeting, motor number two decided to cog all day then completely melted in the final round of qualifying.

It cogged badly through the run the got slower and slower, the motor got so hot, 105degC, that I burnt myself on the motormount/bulkhead when I went to pick it up!

I have given the motor and the ESC to the guy I got them from and he is going to test and return them.

3rd time lucky?

Skiddins

We have also noticed that gearing is dependant on the ESC used, not just the track.