R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default Why not 2 wire brushless motors?

I know 2 wire brushless motors exist. Why not in the RC market? My assumption is that they would be a direct replacement for a brushed motor, meaning you could use a brushed ESC to power them. I believe the electronics to run the 2 wire brushless motor is built in to the motor. I am NO motor expert! So I was wonder if a motor expert on this thread could help me understand this a bit more. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
I know 2 wire brushless motors exist. Why not in the RC market? My assumption is that they would be a direct replacement for a brushed motor, meaning you could use a brushed ESC to power them. I believe the electronics to run the 2 wire brushless motor is built in to the motor. I am NO motor expert! So I was wonder if a motor expert on this thread could help me understand this a bit more. Thanks!
HUH???? You can't run a brushless motor off a brushed ESC no matter how many wires there were... They work completely different....
Old 07-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Three wires work for me.
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny View Post
HUH???? You can't run a brushless motor off a brushed ESC no matter how many wires there were... They work completely different....
In non RC applications there have been brushless motors designed as direct replacements for brushed motors. I was curious as to why this has not been tried for RC if possible.

See below...

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/451064/1620

Release date: April 23, 2004

New 12 Volt, 2-Wire, Brushless DC Motor

Servo Magnetics Inc. - Canoga Park, CA; A new compact low inertia, 12 volt, 2-wire brushless DC motor has been designed to facilitate the simplicity of drop-in replacement of a conventional brush motor where long life and quiet operation are essential. The motor is shown with double-ended shafts however; single-ended shaft configurations are also available. The motor is designed to sustain applications where the motor will see high-vibration loads such as cyclical shaft loading conditions. The low voltage design is well suited for portable or battery operated applications. At 12 volts, this compact 31mm diameter by 62mm long, design can produce up to 20 watts. A variety of electrical and mechanical options are available including windings for specific power requirements, as well as custom mounting configurations.

And...

http://www.telcointercon.com/telcomo...d_products.htm

2-Wire Brushless
This 2-wire brushless motor has built-in electronics that give the advantage of a compact package size while offering quiet, efficient and smooth operation. The 2-Wire brushless motor can easily upgrade your brushed motor applications by simply changing just the motor. You minimize the weight and complexity of the cabling and eliminate any confusion about motor phase connections.

There are more examples out there...I am just curious
Old 07-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

"2-Wire Brushless
This 2-wire brushless motor has built-in electronics that give the advantage of a compact package size while offering quiet, efficient and smooth operation."

Built in electronics = it has it's own speed control. Same thing as a 12v DC computer fan. They have been a long time before 2004.
jonferran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
In non RC applications there have been brushless motors designed as direct replacements for brushed motors. I was curious as to why this has not been tried for RC if possible.

See below...

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/451064/1620

Release date: April 23, 2004

New 12 Volt, 2-Wire, Brushless DC Motor

Servo Magnetics Inc. - Canoga Park, CA; A new compact low inertia, 12 volt, 2-wire brushless DC motor has been designed to facilitate the simplicity of drop-in replacement of a conventional brush motor where long life and quiet operation are essential. The motor is shown with double-ended shafts however; single-ended shaft configurations are also available. The motor is designed to sustain applications where the motor will see high-vibration loads such as cyclical shaft loading conditions. The low voltage design is well suited for portable or battery operated applications. At 12 volts, this compact 31mm diameter by 62mm long, design can produce up to 20 watts. A variety of electrical and mechanical options are available including windings for specific power requirements, as well as custom mounting configurations.

And...

http://www.telcointercon.com/telcomo...d_products.htm

2-Wire Brushless
This 2-wire brushless motor has built-in electronics that give the advantage of a compact package size while offering quiet, efficient and smooth operation. The 2-Wire brushless motor can easily upgrade your brushed motor applications by simply changing just the motor. You minimize the weight and complexity of the cabling and eliminate any confusion about motor phase connections.

There are more examples out there...I am just curious
How many HUNDREDS of watts are our little motors producing at 7.2V??? The motors have very low draw and have the electronics built in....
Old 07-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonferran View Post
"2-Wire Brushless
This 2-wire brushless motor has built-in electronics that give the advantage of a compact package size while offering quiet, efficient and smooth operation."

Built in electronics = it has it's own speed control. Same thing as a 12v DC computer fan. They have been a long time before 2004.
that's what I was guessing and that was the answer I was looking for. Thanks!