Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hard Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hard Wiring

Currently I have been hard wiring my batteries, but lately I have heard of the damage it does to batteries and that it cuts the life of the battery, especially when done with a weak soldering iron. At the track, sometimes the power isn't always that great to power a good soldering iron. I know that all the team guys are hard wiring, but they get battery packs whenever they want. So it doesn't worry them a bit. But the average racer, as myself, cannot possibly afford to buy new batteries every month. Is it really worth all the trouble to hard wire your batteries? Is there a notable difference in resistance compared to the Team Orion/ Trinity plugs? Which do you guys prefer and why? " Friendly" arguments and debates are welcome.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I hard wire my batteries and have had no problems what so ever. The important thing is to have a good hot soldering iron so that the amount of time the iron is on the tab is very minimal.

Later
Old 04-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just make sure you have a very hot iron. I have a 45 watt weller irona nd it works just fine with the bigger tip. The bigger the tip the more surface heat area you have and the faster the solder will melt.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Personally, I dont want to mess around with the soldering solution. I think the advantage (if any) are so little, that it's not worth the work and possible shorting battery life.

With plugs, there's 2 solderings, plus the plug (male/female) itself. With hardwiring, it's obvious, there's only one soldering.

It could be interesting to measure the voltage drop over a good quality plug versus a good soldering. Measured at 20 and 50 amps. for example.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Get get a good pair of zero-loss connectors, like deans or astro flight ones. It will save you the hassle of soldering all the time.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Try out some tube connectors (such as Trinity R-Minus.)

I've been using them for the last two years on my batteries/motors and have never had to bring my soldering iron to the track at all.

There is a very minimal increase in resistance, but you most drivers will be unable to feel a difference on track.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

when i got into my 414 i started to hard wire and i seem to like it better becuase the conections dont come loose and what not so i like this way. ive got a real hot iron so its ok for me
Old 04-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

I run the corally type (tube type) connections on my batteries....
But hard wire my motor.....

Have used this set up for years now and it is the most compact, as there are only tubes on the batts and no extra wires like if I were to use ultra plugs or something similar.
Love this setup.....
Old 04-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Arrow Solderless...

I agree. I have been running the R-Minus Gold connectors for about 3 months and I have no complaints whatsoever.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Cool

In the past I used deans on both my motor and batteries, now, I hard wire my motor but still use deans on my batteries, it seems to work fine and I notice more punch. Also, I dont think the advantage of hard wiring outweighs the disadvantages brought about by a weak soldering iron and eventual degredation of the batteries.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Default hard wire

I hard wire and have done so for 12 years never had a problem with batteries and did notice a difference in power when I first started...... so you can have your conectors all you want and I will just stay the crazy old gray headed fart in the corner with a soldering iron in one hand and a gazzed look in my eyes
Old 04-24-2003, 11:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends on the car/battery type. If I use a stick pack for F1 or whatever the sbs or saddle doesn't fit, I use deans. If its a saddle or sbs pack I use (Corally, Orion, GM, Trinity, BANANA) type plugs. I just don't like the hastle of making sure the connection is good at the track. Any BAD solder joint can fail, and a joint made in a hurry at a track is much more likely to fail, do to being rushed. I feel I am very particular, and I like to make sure the connection will last FOREVER! In club racing I can certify that NOBODY could tell the difference, all else being the same. So KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid... Plug it and forget it.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: hard wire

Originally posted by howard hudson
I hard wire and have done so for 12 years never had a problem with batteries and did notice a difference in power when I first started...... so you can have your conectors all you want and I will just stay the really old gray headed fart in the corner with a soldering iron in one hand, a Cigarette in the other and a Stoned look in my eyes
I am using Euro Plugs on my Batts and Deans on my Motors. But this is for Stock racing.

Last edited by popsracer; 04-25-2003 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: hard wire

Originally posted by popsracer
I am using Euro Plugs on my Batts and Deans on my Motors. But this is for Stock racing.
HUMMMMMMMMMM just for stock racing> thats explains why you cant catch me lose the plugs bud atleast the one at the motor

on second thought leave them I like passing you
Old 04-25-2003, 09:06 AM
Tech Initiate

I use to use Deans but I have switched to hard wiring. I can't tell the differance in performance but I don't have to worry about my batteries coming unpluged in a crash, but a crash that hard would break something anyway.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.