Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Will breakout classes save on road racing? >

Will breakout classes save on road racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will breakout classes save on road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Will breakout classes save on road racing?

Jeff and Mike just wrapped up shooting thier latest episode. The topic of breakout classes came up. Do you think breakout will help salvage the racers that are left and help bring in new people?

Breakout racing restricts or limits the laps that racers can complete in a single race. This in theory and practice helps even the playing field for those individuals that do not posses the latest and greatest gear, car or batteries. It does not affect pro drivers or anyone else that does not like the idea of limits being placed on the number of laps they can complete.

If a race is set at 52 laps max and you finish with 53 you get a big 0 for your efforts. This is a great tool to keep people interested and leave new people with hope that they can actually compete without several boxes of equipment. Thoughts? Linda
Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If there are no people to compete, how can you have a break-out class? Don't get me wrong, with a limited amount of people at tracks, this simply wouldn't work. If this is at a track with a healthy dose of competitors, that would be great. It would segregate them from the drivers that will turn circles around drivers that have a hard time just negotiating the track, let alone other drivers. I also think that it should be limited to beginners only, as I find it stimulating to try to keep up with the 'faster' cars on the track.

Bottom line; Could it work? Sure. Will it? - only if implemented correctly.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

so who win's then
is it the racer who does 52 lap's in quickest time

if no one win's

then what is the point of racing round for 52 lap's
Old 07-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would hate to find out that people are sandbagging just so they can stay below a certain bracket. What is the sense of this hobby if we aren't striving for personal improvement. I suppose that there are people that will claim that it's cool to stagnate and just enjoy driving their cars around in circles, then declare that it all for fun. If I wanted to do that, I'd take up airplanes (nothing wrong with them, either).
Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Legend

The only thing that could possible save Sedan racing is to design class`s base on experience rather than motor`s .....
Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

We use it locally and it works well. We have more racers then ever. For TC we have two classes:

Sportsman: rubber tires, any motor, any body, any car, etc. This has a breakout lap. It allows someone to go into the hobby shop, buy a TC4 with a 15T motor and race that day. Or the guy that wants to run the authentic bodies or whatever else someone wants to run. It gives people new to the hobby a place to race and not be completely overwhelmed. It also encourages people good enough to move up to the "pro" class once they learn how not to hit the wall every other lap. We do breakout lap times. We measured how long an above avg driver takes to get around the middle of the track with a stock motor to determine the time. If you have a lap that is faster it doesnt count.

Pro: 19T rubber tires with ROAR-ish rules.

Like I said, locally it works really well.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

the biggest gripe I hear is that stock is just too fast. Barely one lap less than 19 turn, and maybe 2 less than full blown mod. This is just plain too darn fast for someone just getting started. At the local track, stock is full of really good drivers, but they wont run 19 or mod because there's not enough drivers to do it and still have a stock class. I used to think a breakout class would work, but sure enough, you'll get a few good drivers that can run on the edge and sandbag just enough to go home with the win, and that leaves Joe Newcomer still wondering how to beat him. And with the speeds these things are capable of, he's more than likely gonna go home with busted parts. Yeah, there's a lot of incentive for a newdriver to come back.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think most places dont go by laps, its more timed based.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
We use it locally and it works well. We have more racers then ever. For TC we have two classes:

Sportsman: rubber tires, any motor, any body, any car, etc. This has a breakout lap. It allows someone to go into the hobby shop, buy a TC4 with a 15T motor and race that day. Or the guy that wants to run the authentic bodies or whatever else someone wants to run. It gives people new to the hobby a place to race and not be completely overwhelmed. It also encourages people good enough to move up to the "pro" class once they learn how not to hit the wall every other lap. We do breakout lap times. We measured how long an above avg driver takes to get around the middle of the track with a stock motor to determine the time. If you have a lap that is faster it doesnt count.

Pro: 19T rubber tires with ROAR-ish rules.

Like I said, locally it works really well.

Tim is right on. We had a great main this past Saturday. This keeps the faster guys out. It is a great tool our track is using to help the sport grow in our area.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
Tim is right on. We had a great main this past Saturday. This keeps the faster guys out. It is a great tool our track is using to help the sport grow in our area.
Yep, one other point is that where last year you knew pretty much every week who the likely winners were and what place everyone else would be in, this year it seems its all over the place. Everyone in that class feels like they have a chance to win or place. People are having a lot more fun racing and its great to have so many new faces. It also allows those that are competitive try to work their way up to the pro class. Some people just like to see how many breakout laps they have and worry less about winning the race Its also made the pro class more fun because people have time to learn how to drive before they get thrown in with the sponsored drivers.

Just keep in mind the breakout needs to be something that is fairly difficult to get. We encourage people to use stock motors in that class since thats what the breakout is based on. When using a stock motor you have to run a really good line to hit the breakout. Obviously with faster motors it becomes easier. When people want a challenge they put a stock motor in.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've been involved in 3 or 4 different types of breakout racing. None that DQ'd you 100% for breaking out - that would be kinda harsh...

We did do MIN LAP Times (throw out any lap faster than the preset time)

We did do a MAX # in a certain time...and threw out everything in excess of that time (that didn't work)

We tried different combinations of Min Lap time - Max # of laps...and all it did was make the race direction a PAIN in the BUTT for the guy running the show...having to go over the results with a fine tooth comb..and changing results...took WAY too much time.

We had guys that ran like JackRabbits until close to the end of the race and slowed down to not break out.

We had guys actually STOP on the track once they reached one short of the MAX # of laps...so they could cross as close to the Buzzer as possible.

It was NUTS - and finally dropped.

It IS something that CAN work in a ROOKIE and/or NOVICE type class - and should be part of what makes the decision to move a driver into a NON NOVICE based class.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

isn't it up to the race directors discretion what class a racer runs in? my local track will bump people up to a higher class if they are too fast. i've seen it happen between heats to sandbaggers.

it used to be a big deal and a proud day when the race director said you were ready for expert and bumped you.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Initiate

i agree with or8ital and dodge guy, as i am a noob at their track. the breakout rule allowed me to race there the 1st time and not feel like i was swimmin with sharks. see ya guys for the night race july 28th.
hey tim can you fix it so i can log in on our other forum?? wont accept my pw or sn
Old 07-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I remember a couple decades ago when I was bumped up from novice to stock class after winning a couple times and running some stock competitive lap times. I was very proud of myself when the race director kicked me out of novice class.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just for reference........

The full scale motorsport with the most participation in north america is based on a breakout style of racing. Bracket drag racing. The average Joe can go bracket race the daily driver on the weekends, and the rich dudes can do the "heads up" racing if they want to. Works for that sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.