R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Tech Addict
Send a message via AIM to JimmyMack12
Default Oval battery questions

Coming back into R/C racing after about 10 years off. I'm looking for information on batteries, specifically charge/discharge rates, cutoff, etc.; basically, how to read the numbers and what information those numbers will give me as a "amateur" racer just coming back. What exactly am I looking for with the 4200s?

Also, do you guys follow any specific procedures with specific chargers, or are they all pretty much the same procedures no matter which charger you're using? I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself back into....LOL...let's say, with purchasing a brand new set of batteries. Do I just throw them on the charger at say, 5 amps until their voltage maxes out?

Last time I was seriously racing, we ran 1700SCE's. We'd throw them on a charger with a voltmeter, and charge them until they got warm and, with a voltmeter hooked up, the voltage dropped by .1 volt. Yeah, it's been a while...LOL

Actually looking to run the Snowbirds (stock oval class) in January.
JimmyMack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey JimmyMack12

Not a lot of the oval guys post over here on the RCTech forums - but there are a few.

4200's are some pretty good packs compared to some of the old stuff from back in the day - but they have been having some durability issues of late.

I abuse mine really bad so they don't last too long - 4-5 months a pack if I'm lucky...

If you want some good info visit the hobbytalk.com boards in the oval racing sections and you'll probably get 100 different answers.

Myself, I charge at 6 amps - discharge after run - charge them back up with about 300 seconds to put them away.. (If I'm being nice to them) Otherwise I run them back to back to back to back all day long - and don't cycle them until a day or two before the next race. (depends on the pack, the race, and the competition I guess) for the 'Birds you will want FRESH STUFF right before the race (but don't wait too long - because EVERYONE wants fresh stuff for the birds so the really good stuff gets scarffed up)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote