Wiki Posts
Search

Racing Theory

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Racing Theory

Ok, i was discussing this earlier with my wife, and wanted to get some other opinions on the subject. AN maybe start a good debate......

I have noticed at the local tracks that they guys that do well on the track usually do well off the track (finacially, at work, personnal lives), I donnot wanna discuss "the guys that have ore money buy more preformance" This isn't a thread to trash guys who make more money or are sponcered... please donnot do that....

What I am saying is....... Are better racers a little better because of their personnal off-track successes, or do you think that doing better on the track gives guys more confidence to be successful off the track???

Agian, this is all aside from practice, and money......... I only wanna examine the mental part of racing.......
Old 03-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Definitely has nothing to do with success outside of the track...
I've seen many a person with money buy tons of stuff worth of rc equipment and always finish dead last!! Then their are people that just have pure skill.(wish i had that!) They can come out with a stock kit setup and beat most people.

Its all about experience, knowledge, and tons of practice.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Impact I totally agree with your view...

I have noticed this same occurance...some guys spend tons on racing, but cant really afford to do so, they are unhappy in work etc, from job to job..and they are looking for happiness from winning R.C...it dont work like that..

Mental state has a huge bearing on your on track ability...if you are confident and genuinely happy in life, its far more likely you will perform your best...Whenever I am in a negative frame of mind, or something is bumming me, (work, social or home issues, this always reflects in my results...

Not many people are aware of how frame of mind can really affect your performance. I have discussed this with a few Top level drivers, and they all seem to agree.

Of course you already have to be at the top of the game....Im saying amongst regular top 10 racers....the ones with the positive mindset, and confidence / happiness will have a better chance of on track success all things being equal.

and on that note...money doesnt buy success...Some people spend a ton...and still dead suck. This is one thing I like about teh hobby, determination and practice can to an extent offset the lack of equipment ....but new tires / battery and motor always help you go closer to your max potential
Old 03-31-2003, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

I'm not poor, rich, nor that great of a driver. I'm just a average driver. I had been just practicing on track almost every week, that made me a better driver then before.

From what I notice that the younger you are, the better reflex you have then the older folks, like me.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

REMEMBER-- having loads of money and all the equiptment you ever wanted doesn't necessarily mean you are happy at the track, at work, or at home........

AGIAN I wanna seperate the money, practice, and equiptment out of this discussion and that is the first thing you bring up.....

NOT everyone that is successful and has lots of money throw it into their RC.. The guys with the box stock set-up or RTR car might have more money and find more pleasure in just keeping it cheap and simple, having fun...... while the guy with all the money tied up into equiptment may be on the verge of bankruptcy...... see what I am saying?!?!?!?

I have also seen many guys that practice until their wheels fall off of the car that are never any better than they where when they didn't practice., while guys that get very little practice walk-in an hour before the race, run one pack and proceed to wipe up the competition.... so all goes both ways....
Old 03-31-2003, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Racing Theory

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Ok, i was discussing this earlier with my wife, and wanted to get some other opinions on the subject. AN maybe start a good debate......

I have noticed at the local tracks that they guys that do well on the track usually do well off the track (finacially, at work, personnal lives), I donnot wanna discuss "the guys that have ore money buy more preformance" This isn't a thread to trash guys who make more money or are sponcered... please donnot do that....

What I am saying is....... Are better racers a little better because of their personnal off-track successes, or do you think that doing better on the track gives guys more confidence to be successful off the track???

Agian, this is all aside from practice, and money......... I only wanna examine the mental part of racing.......

I would should have to say 75% of Racing has to be mental.... Because if your heads not in the Game you might as well pack up and go home... But on the other hand I have Japanese buddys that I race with that live day to day there jobs are a fly by night thing...and they are to the Cream of the Crop when it comes to getting women ...I think that it might come down to how you were brought up....and Culture....??
But I think its a case by case thing
-Dave
Old 03-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Just to add to the debate:

I have a good life, good friends, interesting and well paid job, wonderful girlfriend and I'm very happy. My racing skills suck!
Old 03-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have to agree with Ortiz, I know of guys who have more money than they know what to do with, & can't drive to the level of their equipment, & THE fast guy here runs on a shoestring budget, but just has the pure talent to more than make up the difference. no one here can beat him on any regular basis, & that includes guys who have sponsorship deals....
Old 03-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by JohnA
Just to add to the debate:

My racing skills suck!
Honesty is Golden

-Dave
Old 03-31-2003, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Interesting post impactplayer. Here, the better drivers are those who do the most practice and have the most track time. Off track financial situations are not really looked at. It is assumed that if you are able to have a hobby, especially a hobby that requires a high upkeep such as rc cars, that person or parents of that person are well off enough to support it. The fully sponsored drivers are what they are due to all the practice and track time they have put in. However, their income in most cases don't even come close to those who take up rc racing as a hobby.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

I agree that the mind plays a big role. Happy, and no worries, that's a very good help.

I think that many of us have tried coming to the track, and it feels like everything goes wrong. Too many crashes, too many driving errors, didnt get the rythm. The car feels slow, not enough punch. Then go home, put the car away. At next practise session, then there's good flow, good rythm. Seems like everything works out. Have somebody changed the car without I noticed? I mean, I didnt made any changes to the car siince last practise.....

I also think one can train his/hers own mind. Before a race, I do what I can to give myself a good start. Give myself a good relaxing afternoon with my wife. Dont get to he race too late, have everything prepared in good time, so I dont have to hurry. At the track, I spend a few minutes before each qualifier and main, with concentrating. At this moment I try focusing on good and happy moments. I have a special moment, which I always use for this. It makes me feel good and it keeps my mind clear, so my brain are open minded to the race. Relaxed and focused.

It really help me a lot. Prevent nerve build up. Around a year ago, I was at a race, where I suddenly began to think too much about the other drivers. I was also thinking too much about an error or two I made. So I got the shake. Then I started focusing on this particular good moment I use. This was during a main. The result was that I had this good moment filling up my head, so there wasnt room for worries. And my car started to fly. And I won. Which I usually dont do....

Now, this was my most important success in RC. Not because I won the race. But because I proved to myself that I could control my mind. I felt I won over myself. But guess what, I couldnt do it the next race.... This doesnt matter much, because now I know the way and I'm practising and training this at each race I go to. Not that my results are impressing compared to international drivers, nor national. But I see a steady and consistent improvement in my performance.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

In terms of on track success impacting the rest of my life, I can certainly see a relationship. When I have a particularily good race, I definetly feel better for a while. Sort of motivated to get schoolwork done so I can get back out again. In that way, I can definitely say that racing helps me. Not to mention it keeps me out of trouble

Anyway, thats my thoughts on it. Yes, I agree, being a successful racer/having a good week does make me more successful in my other endeavours.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Ok ill leave the money, and the material things out of it...

There are people out there who are great at their job, other hobbies, etc. They come to the track with a swollen head thinking they will do good, then end up going home with their rear end handed to them. Then they never come back.
Then there are people who never raced anything in their life, and never been successful at anything. They come to the track thinking they are gonna suck, and make the top 5.

IMO they have nothing to do with eachother. Some people might even race just to have some type of succes away from their everyday life.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Default Racing Theory

Guys;

I think it boils down to how much effort mentally and physically you put into anything. The people I know that are consistently fast, put a large amount of effort into their R/C racing. The more attention to detail you put into something, anything, usually pays off. Just my $0.50
Old 03-31-2003, 06:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I can tell you this-from Karts to RC cars-if you win or do better than planned or expected-the drive home goes by really fast!! If yo do terrible-the drive home is an eternity!! And that sucks when your driving home from say Kershaw in South Carolina to Cleveland, Ohio-straight through after three days baking in the sun!!!!

So-yes_I'd say happiness on the track helps in daily life and it works backwards as well. A good day-laughing with buddies usually leads to better on track perfromance!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.