Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
does anyone run foams on asphalt?... >

does anyone run foams on asphalt?...

does anyone run foams on asphalt?...

Old 07-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default does anyone run foams on asphalt?...

hey guys,I;m running a pro4 outside,blown off,untreated parking lot..and using tahe off and RD rubbers..

has anyone,or does anyone,run foams?....and what brand? or rating?....

thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

run whatever you want because having fun is the most important thing!

but it is just traditional to run rubber tires on asphalt for electric TCs....and foam tires for nitro TCs...
Old 07-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Fastharry I run my x-ray in the nitro mod class. I run 40's front and rear. I use a li-po, brushless set-up. I wish more guys around here would run a full mod class.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joe Maxey
Fastharry I run my x-ray in the nitro mod class. I run 40's front and rear. I use a li-po, brushless set-up. I wish more guys around here would run a full mod class.
Finally, someone else that runs electric with the big dogs. Not these baby 5 minute races, but race with length AND race what you brought.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Tech Addict

Have run foams in Modified here in NZ for years. If you start with 35 or 40 shore fronts and 30/35 rear you would be in the ballpark. Just remember to turn your steering rate down as you don't need as much steering throw to get around.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:36 AM
Tech Adept

Yep as Simon says we run foams for touring outdoors.

Fast harry your'e a gas guy right - it depends a lot on the track temp etc. but for modified touring you go a few shore softer for instance 37's where you would go 40 with gas.

We've been running 37 GQ's on the boys Cyclones and the 30mm rears fit ok as long as you don't use the outside shock position.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

guys...thanks for the replys.......

my mom's been in and out of the hospital,so I even forgot I posted this thread till last night,,,,,,

So It looks like you are running nitro foams on your cars.......I thought you had to run the electric foams(you know,the ones marked with color labels)...or are they only for carpet?...

the reason I ask,is that I remmebr someone saying the nitro foams were the wrong compound as the electric cars were lighter.,...

also,are you running the 30 mm tires on the back?...as most nitro tire fronts are different compunds......and I don't know if running four 26 mm fronts is a good idea......

does anyone make asphalt electric tires?...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fastharry
guys...thanks for the replys.......

my mom's been in and out of the hospital,so I even forgot I posted this thread till last night,,,,,,

So It looks like you are running nitro foams on your cars.......I thought you had to run the electric foams(you know,the ones marked with color labels)...or are they only for carpet?...

the reason I ask,is that I remmebr someone saying the nitro foams were the wrong compound as the electric cars were lighter.,...

also,are you running the 30 mm tires on the back?...as most nitro tire fronts are different compunds......and I don't know if running four 26 mm fronts is a good idea......

does anyone make asphalt electric tires?...

Sorry about your mom, hope she's better now...

about foams, I'm using 37 shore when the nitros use 40 and 35 when they're on 37... and 26mm front, 30mm back... however I'm planning to cut the back ones to 26mm as well, because I have to move the dampers to the inside hole to make them fit... thus not sure if I have the best setup for the track...

the other thing is that you have to true the foams not as much you do on carpet, as the surface is not as even...

hope it helps.
al
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've been thinking running nitro tires as well this summer. What offset do you use?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BadSign
I've been thinking running nitro tires as well this summer. What offset do you use?
no offset on the wheels, but 6mm on the hexes (instead the stock 5mm) on the MSXX....
Old 07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

well,since we are in uncharted territory,I called in an expert..

I called Jack Rimer at jaco.......

here's what he suggested.....and this is uncharted territory...Touring cars,when they became popular,have alays run rubber tires on asphalt....So it seems we are trendsetters,,,

anyway,he suggested the nitro tires in,40 rear,38 fronts...but I posed question of size of the(nitro) rear tire with interference....

so then he suggested the 28 mm tires,purple in back(#2155),double purple in front(#2158).....he said that would have WAY holy steering......

and thats what I'm gonna try.......

thoughts?....

BTW,a heck of a nice guy on the phone....

I told him where this thread is located,maybe he'll chime in.....

Last edited by fastharry™; 07-11-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i'm still new to rc but have a ft tc3 and a MM7700. i see no option other than foams as i turned a set of hpi belted x patters into drift tires during one race.
i'll try the foams you guys suggested this weekend if my lHS has them.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nc racer
i'm still new to rc but have a ft tc3 and a MM7700. i see no option other than foams as i turned a set of hpi belted x patters into drift tires during one race.
i'll try the foams you guys suggested this weekend if my lHS has them.

if you are gonna run rubber,you have to run take off or RD's...HPI tires are hopelessy out of date....
Old 07-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Rookie

We run Jaco Nitro shoe foams on our outdoor asphalt track in the 27 stock and 19 turn mod classes. Between 30 and 35 shore, 2 degree offset (some use 0 offset) front and between 35 and 40 shore rears. Most use 35 shore front and rear. Fronts are 26mm and rears 30mm.

http://www.jacoracing.net/
Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Electric tires are the same as rear nitro tires. Double Purple is a 42 - 45 rear tire(just put on a front rim) and a purple is a 40 rear tire. Nitro front have a different compound (foam to rubber ratio). The shore stays the same but the tire acts different. It acts like a hard rear tire with less wear. I hope I didn't confuse anyone. Hell I am starting to confuse myself.

I run Kawahara nitro tires. I cut the rears to 26mm so that they don't rub my shock mount.

I run a X-ray FK04 with 3.5 novak and 4800 lipo. I was in second in the main when the battery dumped. I wasn't gear right. I needed a smaller pinion gear. I have it now, so those nitro guys can eat my eletric foam.

Have fun guys,
Joe Maxey

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.