Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars? >

Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?

Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
I agree 100%- If someone wants to race they have to know you have to spend the cash, like in any sport or hobby. Running a pan car vs a Touring car is not cheap! You need a good radio, receiver, ESC, motor and batteries, and basic tools. That's what costs the most, and will be the same for 1/18, pan cars, 1/8, etc. If you're cheap or broke and cant afford the hobby, you simply cant participate...save money and then get what you need. But dont try and limit everyone else!

For example- you can run a RTR touring car class...XXX-S, TC4, etc. for $400you can have a car with motor, esc, receiver, radio, body, tires, etc. Imagine the radio glitching, the poor set-up and performance of the cars, and money wasted on those sorry non-matched packs. Its a joke...that nice for kids who want to bash and hit each other in a parking lot...but not for
organized club racing.

that's not exactly what i'm trying to say.. you can go gung-ho in pan cars and i just don't think the gains warrant it.. i buy almost entirely used equipment cause that's what i can afford, and i bet i have less than $500 in my pan car including top-o-the-line brushless system that will never require another dime.. if i knock the entire front end off i can buy a new one complete for $35 and have spares.. my x-ray when i ran it had knuckles that were $7 each and swaybars that cost $22..for goodnes sakes.. we're not talking a novice class here (atlest i'm not) i'm hoping for a reasonably priced second class..
Old 07-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

PHP Code:
Thats the same complete idea I have about pan cars should be.

independent suspension
all wheel brake
rear traction
ELECTRIC POWERED
235 mm

AGAIN
...... just a thought
If the car produce by manufacturer, I should be the first person in booking list.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Okay I was bored and found the actual BMW TOJ race car picture.Simply google BMW Race Car TOJ. Go to Our Race Car2 and it's the car with TOJ in red letters on the front intake.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Okay I was bored and found the actual BMW TOJ race car picture.Simply google BMW Race Car TOJ. Go to Our Race Car2 and it's the car with TOJ in red letters on the front intake.
heck the hood pins are even in the same place. ;P
Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

All of you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel, leave the 1/10 pan car design alone! Everyone wants to gofaster but there is a cost. Keep the basic design, but every manufacture can add there own flair. I have not heared one guy say I have the new darkside or PRC car and have raced it! I just ordered a darkside and I am going to put mines on the track while all you armchair racers are talking about making something simple like a 1/10 pan car into touring car

I think a stock motor and 4 cell will be just fine, and I have seen guys jam lipos and brushless motors into a vintage 10L and it looked like crap! Your not solving the problem by making the car faster and adding front shocks and making things TC like.

I raced 1/10 pan in the 90's and the sucky motors and batterys made these cars blistic. And you guys want to go faster, 95% of you guys could not handle one of these cars with a mild mod motor and a 4 cell pack.

The only way we are going to bring this class back is to keep it simple and cheap.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:43 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Aah thanks. I did search just for BMW TOJ and this didn´t work at least I didn´t find pictures. Our TOJ pan body maybe is closer to the real racecar than on any other car I have seen before. It´s just weird there is a Ford sticker on that TOJ and that green rearview mirror sucks also.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Wink

Originally Posted by gijoe64
All of you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel, leave the 1/10 pan car design alone! Everyone wants to gofaster but there is a cost. Keep the basic design, but every manufacture can add there own flair. I have not heared one guy say I have the new darkside or PRC car and have raced it! I just ordered a darkside and I am going to put mines on the track while all you armchair racers are talking about making something simple like a 1/10 pan car into touring car

I think a stock motor and 4 cell will be just fine, and I have seen guys jam lipos and brushless motors into a vintage 10L and it looked like crap! Your not solving the problem by making the car faster and adding front shocks and making things TC like.

I raced 1/10 pan in the 90's and the sucky motors and batterys made these cars blistic. And you guys want to go faster, 95% of you guys could not handle one of these cars with a mild mod motor and a 4 cell pack.

The only way we are going to bring this class back is to keep it simple and cheap.
feel free to look at pictures of my PRC Max10 in the pan car thread under the oval section or in john stranahan's post titled pantoura tips and tricks.. john has mine at the moment for testing as i'm moving the end of the month..
Old 07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

this over-engineered enough for ya?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

cool looking but that thing has got to be way overweight!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

I agree with TallyRC, you could always have a claiming rule or something like that. But 4 cell 19T NO WAY. Yhe whole point of re-inventing the class would be to go faster, than we did before.

Limit the brushless motors, but run the LiPo's the whole idea from my point of view, is to update the old class.

At our track, where we race 8th sc, a 6 cell mod pan car will run laps just less than the 8th's. that's the point of bringing them back.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Here's a recent video of a pan car at indoor track being tested with mamba max a nd 700 motor w/ 3s lipo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANaIqQxKqqU
Old 07-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
That's some nice work! Very creative.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

Sometimes on EBay I see things I like and put a low bid in and see if I get it. This one I did not think I would win but it is another Bolink. If anything I will have some spares now.
Attached Thumbnails Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?-b-eliminator1.jpg  
Old 07-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Been digging around in the basement and found that I had an unpainted Bolink Pro Stock 98 Comaro body. Been searching via google trying to find pictures people may have done of this car for ideas. Was it not that popular?

I am going to mount this for now on the first post of the car pictires I made and the elcomino on the one I posted today. Love painting bodies. Sometimes they do not come out how I like but still fun.

I have some bodies I painted before on my website.
http://studysession.com
Old 07-26-2007, 02:03 AM

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
The car was overengineered. The guy now made a new version, with a new CRC front end instead of the overkill Xray front end.
It's still 100 gramms to heavy though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.