Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting to brushless

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

Default Converting to brushless

Hi, in my touring car i currently run 19 turn brushed. Do you find that when driving a brushless equivilant, your times are as fast. Is the feel the same or similar or is a different driving style required?

thanks, john
Old 07-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Brushless equivalent will be faster and yes the driving style is different. The big difference in brushless vs brush is the torque from the brushless. Acceleration is much faster.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Actually Eli I think it depends on the track. At the THS track the brushed have it by a hair (at least it seems based on Junior's experience - he has ran both). I would say generally the brushless is faster though. That track is very high speed.

I think for me the biggest thing I had to adjust to was not the acceleration but the lack of brakes on the brushless. It doesnt want to slow down quite as well as the brushed motor.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Depending on speed controls, you can adjust brakes or braking in the speed control. I believe that the Novak has this feature and quite possibly the LRP too.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah they both do. Not quite the same feel (LRP says they have fixed that in the newer ESCs though).
Old 07-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I didn't add any drag brake to my 4300/GTB. The added coast felt weird at first, but it helped me smooth out. I think I get through the corners a little better. I run rubber/carpet so being a little smoother and flowing has helped me a bunch.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Actually Eli I think it depends on the track. At the THS track the brushed have it by a hair (at least it seems based on Junior's experience - he has ran both). I would say generally the brushless is faster though. That track is very high speed.

I think for me the biggest thing I had to adjust to was not the acceleration but the lack of brakes on the brushless. It doesnt want to slow down quite as well as the brushed motor.
Well actually the biggest thing i noticed with brushless was how much stronger the brakes are. Maybe if you are still running a bonded rotor then this might be the case but everyone I know that is running brushless has said that the biggest advantage with brushless is the very strong brakes. I have never seen a brushed motor brake as hard as my 3.5.
Drew.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Last edited by or8ital; 02-18-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think you'll be waiting a while, you'd be better off buying a new LRP TC spec or something. The tekin couldn't be that much better.