Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Driving Help

I'm looking for help finding the fastest way around the track. I had found an article online that had a picture of a track and a line through it showing the fastest way around. Can't seem to find it online anymore though. Anybody know of something similar? I am pretty sure I can find the fastest route but wanted to brush up a little just in case.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am new to R/C racing, but I did drive real race cars as an amateur in SCCA when I was younger....actually, it would have been funny to just say I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.....anyways, the best thing to remember is very simple........you are faster going straight than turning, correct? So always set your car up for the next turn by cutting the corners or making minimal directional changes. Sometimes that isn't possible because of other cars in the way, but think your way around your home track as you are sitting here right now.

On long straights or sweepers stay to the outside as the turn is easier and faster from out there. Going through S's? Straighten them out as much as you can.....getting the idea?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

the fastest way around the track is to keep on the tarmac as fast as you can without crashing
Old 07-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Fastest Line

Hi,

I remember one time watching a show, wherein a computer program calculated the fastest line for a specific racetrack given a specific car make.

Then Mario Andretti drove the same car around the track in a faster time than what was theoretically possible. He took different lines that what was supposedly the ideal line.

For rc,,, easiest way is to look at the lines taken by the fastest drivers on a specific track.

Hope this helps.

Joel
Old 07-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Our good friend elvo has covered some of the basics and drawn some pretty diagrams - http://users.pandora.be/elvo/11/1_content.html

Racing line is simply the fastest way around the track. Sometimes the fast line is pretty weird though, and different types of car and styles of driving will use a different line as well.

You will learn it as much from feel as from anything else.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Our good friend elvo has covered some of the basics and drawn some pretty diagrams - http://users.pandora.be/elvo/11/1_content.html

Racing line is simply the fastest way around the track. Sometimes the fast line is pretty weird though, and different types of car and styles of driving will use a different line as well.

You will learn it as much from feel as from anything else.
These lines are usually the best reference (out wide then cut in and hit the apex and back out again). From my experience and watching video footage of pro drivers it seems that the ideal rc lines are different from ideal lines for real race cars. It seems that with some corners with rc you don't go wide at the entry or exit, with some corners the pro drivers stay in tight the hole time. I think this is due to the high acceleration of rc (it's not about keeping the highest corner speed like real cars, it's about how early you can get on the throttle). But most of the time the usual lines like real cars are taken. Just something to think about.
Drew.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

"SMOOTH" nuff said
Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

if you treat the radio like an on-off switch, you can't really expect a lot out of your car, you don't drive a real car like that do you...(well...some of us) but the smoother you are with the trigger, the more control you will inevitably have...and as one of my driving mentors always told me...."slow is fast"
Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

goto your LHS when they have an open practice day..... try to wear your car out........ honestly you will just get better with more stand time
Old 07-05-2007, 04:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ever play Grand Tourismo on the PS2? remember the tut's on race lines? easy as that
Old 07-05-2007, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

follow the "darker lines" (where the more rubber/foam is) as close as you can from the corner dots... for a start... then try to suit that to your driving style...
Old 07-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

is "slow in - fast out" always the best way on the track???
Old 07-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Fast in fast out is better if you can manage it!

Why people talk about slow-in-fast-out...

A car (usually) has better braking performance than acceleration performance, so if you can get on the power earlier you can make up more time than if you brake too late and end up on the power late. Basically it is a lot easier to mess up your corner on the way in (overshooting it), than it is on the way out (all you need to do is get on the power as soon as possible and you are away), so make the entry count, and if you are a bit slower on entry it is a lot easier to still do a good time than if you are too fast.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Stay smooth and flowing. No ON OFF ON OFF throttle like the others suggested. You want to keep the car settled. ON OFF ON keeps the car transferring weight for and aft. So all that chassis tuning flies out the window and your a mess.

Clean is fast. If your too fast for your own good, you crash. Crashing is slow. Last year I had a IB go south on me while charging, found it at the last minute, ran it anyways. I ran the same laps 4 seconds quicker. Clean is fast.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

sportpak is right, im only new to racing and ive got the speed on my local club cars but once i hit the corners they fly past me. thats not because they have more grip its because they keep it all smooth whilst im braking, slowing accelerating, stopping and......CRASHING!!!!

just keep it smooth and you will be right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.