Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should old people with Skills be Forced out of Racing ROAR Masters. >

Should old people with Skills be Forced out of Racing ROAR Masters.

Should old people with Skills be Forced out of Racing ROAR Masters.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Oh, I'm not comfortable in ROAR making any decision as to what is equivalent to what..... thats what class committee's are for and why we have experts on board to give advice. To think any one person on the ROAR excom is an expert in ALL things technical.. is silly.... ROAR must reach out and ask what you guys think..... racers and professional MFG's alike.

But, if somebody like Rick Hohwart tells ROAR that a 15t (pulling out of same hat.. still not set in stone) is equivalient to a 10.5 brushless, yep, I'll go that route. But.... I don't much like giving an advantage to one guy because he has to spend more time cutting coms and changing brushes.... choices.. choices.... LOL

I'm all open to try new things in racing... lets see what happens.. we can always change it the next year if necessary. People want to have access to the newest in technology so lets do what the people want.....
this talk is awesome!!! trying new things....see what happens...and making changes the next year if necessary....im loving this!

just like NASCAR for example....they have been making changes to the cars, tweeks to the Chase points system....trying to find whats best....

but Im not sure if combining BL and brushes cars in the same class at a Nats will help or hurt turnout....hmmmm
Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
...hey,

Instead of 'including' a MATSTERS class at a National Event...or a JUNIORS class... Why not instead create these as 2 NEW National Events with their own venue.

The ROAR Jr. Nationals - and ONLY offer classes to the limited Age Groups

and/or the ROAR Sr. Nationals (Of course the Sr. Nationals would need to be held in Florida or Arizona every year...cause that's where OLD people hang out) and the Jr. Nationals would need to be held someplace where KIDS actually like to hang out...

LOL
Joe..Were Old not retired....So on that note My Vote would be to hold the races at Vegas..You know some place that us "Old Folks" would actually like to hang out at..I would bet it would be HUGE..
Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

So, your saying a 10.5 is an equal comparison to a 15T brushed?

If we were to say at a national: "No handouts provided. Racer has option of running any ROAR approved 15 turn motor or any ROAR approved 10.5 brushless motor"

this would work with you guys?
I would like to see the handout thing gone. If ROAR picks or approves a good or "equivilant" BL motor to be allowed I think this will be a very good thing.

However, in my personal opinion just adding a Brushless Class or Classes is not the way to go. I feel brushed and brushless should run together. I know that some people feel quite the opposite, but thats why its called an opinion. I just feel that having to many classes dilutes races.

If I ever make a "A-Main" in a big show (not likely) I want to know I realy earned it by out-preforming more than just a few other racers.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Tech Legend

This I'm totally in favor of... since ROAR purchases the handouts for the nationals.. I'm all in favor of NOT spending money and making it a spec or stated product motor class...... or, open to approved BL's.

Ok, now I'm getting wild... better shut up now.
Don`t agree because using handout`s keeps it fair .....

Bunch of good reason`s for using hand-out spec motor`s to be sure...
Old 01-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I always wonder how things would be different with BL if they were slightly slower than their brushed equivalent rather than slightly faster. How many people would opt for less maintenance and cost at the expense of speed.
Actually, I was hoping when we got them to do the SLOWER MOTORS for Oval that they WOULD come up just short of what the Brushed was doing...because we all know with KNOWLEDGE you WILL improve..and with Brushless having such a differernt power band..they just keep going faster and faster (A lot faster than when they just get 'tested')

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I was just joking because the fact that you do not have to spend time working on your motors is cited as an advantage when using brushless.
Although I know you were joking - I wasn't..and I actually agree that the brushed motor SHOULD be given a very slight advantage "If/When" tuned properly. Because the Brushless Motor has a lot of advangtages, one of which is it doesn't drop off during the run...

Originally Posted by Oasis
Joe..Were Old not retired....So on that note My Vote would be to hold the races at Vegas..You know some place that us "Old Folks" would actually like to hang out at..I would bet it would be HUGE..
Mike, 100% Agreed

(SIDE NOTE: Almost EVERY OVAL Race is a "MASTERS RACE" - there ain't too many KIDS...at least out West...that run OVAL - We're ALL old farts..I'd bet the "AVERAGE" age of the West Coast OVAL racer is 38-39, and a BUNCH of them are a tad older...)
Old 01-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Don`t agree because using handout`s keeps it fair .....
then... are you willing to fork over the $6-10K in costs to purchase the motors for a single event? And, that is being quite conservative. Last year, ROAR paid well over $30K for handout motors for three events - stock and 19T. We have one event's motors left in our inventory, maybe.. just a little under actually.

I feel as though ROAR states WHAT motor will be run at an event, you bring that motor, we mark it before during and after the event and tech it every single time you run it... we have saved a ton in money and so have you... your entry fee could decrease and.. well, honestly, the hobby shops actually get to make some money out of ROAR nationals where handouts have always been the primary product used.

Win, win situation to me..... but heck, what do I know...
Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Ok, I think I have it (and yes I have been able to run the masters class for over a decade)!

Masters class is Brushed 19 Turn (because we all know it don't need to learn new things)

Stock is Brushless - New racers with new technology!

Mod - What ever the factory can give me!

That should work, 3 classes and all motors covered........
Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
However, in my personal opinion just adding a Brushless Class or Classes is not the way to go. I feel brushed and brushless should run together. I know that some people feel quite the opposite, but thats why its called an opinion. I just feel that having to many classes dilutes races.

Oh, I agree... we can't have a stock brushed and a stock brushless class... won't work... ROAR will not be the source of death of any class.. that has to be the racers choice.

Hence, the dilemma... what to do with stock brushless technology. Personally, I would say let them run together and we realize there are huge performance advantages and realize that we are promoting racing that is unfair at the stock level.

Or, delete stock from the nationals and encourage the club racing levels to promote the technology however its going to work for them in their area......
Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

then... are you willing to fork over the $6-10K in costs to purchase the motors for a single event? And, that is being quite conservative. Last year, ROAR paid well over $30K for handout motors for three events - stock and 19T. We have one event's motors left in our inventory, maybe.. just a little under actually.

I feel as though ROAR states WHAT motor will be run at an event, you bring that motor, we mark it before during and after the event and tech it every single time you run it... we have saved a ton in money and so have you... your entry fee could decrease and.. well, honestly, the hobby shops actually get to make some money out of ROAR nationals where handouts have always been the primary product used.

Win, win situation to me..... but heck, what do I know...
You know I like that Idea, Local tack and hobby shops get the $'s, mfg's still get the $'s. You just need to announce what the motor is with enough time for all entrants to get get some.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Grenade10
You know I like that Idea, Local tack and hobby shops get the $'s, mfg's still get the $'s. You just need to announce what the motor is with enough time for all entrants to get get some.
Yep..... same idea for handout tires too...

but I understand the on road guys will really freak over that one..
Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Or, delete stock from the nationals and encourage the club racing levels to promote the technology however its going to work for them in their area......
You know while we are talking about racing, I have always felt that you should have to qualify at regional races to get invited to the nationals. I know not all the racers will travel, but they should get the first shot.

The other would be to have a race of regional champions, and with 2.4ghz technology, having 12 racers (hope I'm right on this) would be a great way to promote at the local and regional level.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Grenade10
You know while we are talking about racing, I have always felt that you should have to qualify at regional races to get invited to the nationals. I know not all the racers will travel, but they should get the first shot.

The other would be to have a race of regional champions, and with 2.4ghz technology, having 12 racers (hope I'm right on this) would be a great way to promote at the local and regional level.

Just my 2 cents.
age old arguement... problem is record keeping and who's gonna do it and keep track of who's able to attend a nationals from what regionals.. and what if that region doesn't hold that class that year.. then what?

Its a great idea and I'm all for it... with the exception that I also believe the mission of ROAR is to ensure consistent and competitive racing no matter where a member goes and at what level. Meaning, if your a current ROAR member, you have the right to race any ROAR race you can attend....

I'm full of dilemma's today...
Old 01-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Dawn, congrats on the new title. Have not talked to you in awhile and I was very pleased to hear that you took over as "El Presidente". Here in the Fl. State series fseara (ON ROAD) we run a controlled rubber tire. You can purchase them from the series or bring your own (new in bag) and they will be teched. We also allow the use of tires that have been teched at any of our earlier races. Used tires must have series sticker and tech official's signature on them. They get reteched with new stickers and help cut down the expense of having to run new. Come on down to visit sometime.

Tony Munno
Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tmunno
Hi Dawn, congrats on the new title. Have not talked to you in awhile and I was very pleased to hear that you took over as "El Presidente". Here in the Fl. State series fseara (ON ROAD) we run a controlled rubber tire. You can purchase them from the series or bring your own (new in bag) and they will be teched. We also allow the use of tires that have been teched at any of our earlier races. Used tires must have series sticker and tech official's signature on them. They get reteched with new stickers and help cut down the expense of having to run new. Come on down to visit sometime.

Tony Munno
Hi Tony!! And thanks... imagine how surprised I was to hear about my new title.. LOL

That is exactly what I was hoping to do with tires and ROAR nationals... lets get into cutting expenses to not only ROAR and more importantly, the racer and gaining income for the host track. Isn't that why they hold races and we attend them anyway?
Old 01-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
How about this.... Masters are sent to Carousel....

Just solves the problem all togther...

dang thats a very very "old" reference. I'm guessing just us old guys will get it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.