Community
Wiki Posts
Search

News Flash Indoor tracks droppin' like flies

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default this is why tracks are droppin like flies.

Paying $30 as a club due will not kill anyone. If it does they shouldn't be racing. $30 is 1 set of tires, or 1 motor. Guys have thousands in equipment, yet will not spend $30 to let a track pay for necessities? If it isn't worth $30 or even $50 anually to save a track for each racer, that racer doesn't deserve to have a track to race at.

From a budget point of view, if a racer can't afford $30 per year as a club due, they really have to re-examine if they can afford r/c racing, and if they can't, it is not the track owners responsibility to float them so they can race.

I didn't think racers would balk at increasing race entry fees by $5 or $10. I guess I was wrong. Oh well, enjoy your track while you have it.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Another way is what our local track ( The C in Frederick, MD ) does everyweek... THanks to one of our local racer Mike Hearld Senior who came up with the ides of a 50/50 raffle every week. Tickets are 1 dollar each and 50% goes to the track maintenance ( boarders/etc ) and 50% to the lucky ticket. Most of the time the winner says keep their 50% for the track. If you don't want to buy a ticket then you don't, strictly a choice....
Old 07-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I agree.....The club level racing should be for practice and to have a good time!! Its for getting out of the house, trying different setups-etc and just hanging out. One thing it needs to be about is the Pro level/ highly experienced guys getting back to their roots and helping out the new guys/rookies and keeping them interested in racing!! New blood is the only thing that is going to "save" or tracks or hobby!! It shouldnt be about how many laps you can put on the field at a damn club race. I could care less if I win a club race...it should be more about helping others and having a good time while getting laps in.

EA
Man what a load of BS LOL you try awful hard for not caring when you show up twice a year EA

maybe in dirt thats your attitude...

But I agree... I dialed my brushless down to 83% to keep things close with the other guys, but man they try to run me over on the straightaway LOL
Old 07-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

i know theres not one problem or one answer , but the one that bugs me is the amount of people that think the LHS' ( with indoor tracks ) in our area are making alot of money, when the truth is its a really poor bussiness choice , theres 5 in my area , we are very fortunate , but the amount of people , most , that would never consider coming by on a track change day , or one of the many days it can take if theres only 3 guys , and just lend a hand , people say with the amount of money there making they would have to pay me to help , a while back the owner of the cactus classic race was saying by having the cactus classic it allows him to keep his track open and club racing the rest of the year , thats sad , people just dont realize if theres no paid spectators , its a pay to play sport , and people better step up and lend a hand to there local track , and if you race you should only purchase from the tracks you race at , if not youll be a basher instead of a racer real soon , ray
Old 07-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

its not the support thats all to blame its mostly the profit margin.

an avg. LHS makes 40-45% if they are full retail on most items. unless you do big volumes most distributors don't give you 50% off... if you discount any you make even less. we discount 10% storewide so that drops us down to 30-35% margin then on tires we pretty much match online prices which drops it down even further.

Even a hot dog vendor more than doubles his money selling hot dogs on the street corner. RC is one of if not the worst businesses to be in from a financial standpoint.

in any business if you can't double your inventory cost its a lost cause.
getting a bank loan for a hobbyshop most of the time the banks say its not worth the time.

if I didn't like the hobby I wouldn't dump my money into the great abyss I'd at least gamble at vegas... their odds are better LOL

I want to start an RC pyramid scheme... NOW were talking
Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray3619
i know theres not one problem or one answer , but the one that bugs me is the amount of people that think the LHS' ( with indoor tracks ) in our area are making alot of money, when the truth is its a really poor bussiness choice , theres 5 in my area , we are very fortunate , but the amount of people , most , that would never consider coming by on a track change day , or one of the many days it can take if theres only 3 guys , and just lend a hand , people say with the amount of money there making they would have to pay me to help , a while back the owner of the cactus classic race was saying by having the cactus classic it allows him to keep his track open and club racing the rest of the year , thats sad , people just dont realize if theres no paid spectators , its a pay to play sport , and people better step up and lend a hand to there local track , and if you race you should only purchase from the tracks you race at , if not youll be a basher instead of a racer real soon , ray
So well said! I wish you could be at every drivers metting held at every race. to sceam that satement as loud as possible.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Default I have a better idea than everyone giving their time

Instead of relying on everyone to give up their time (which some value more than others,) how about charging more to race and hiring people to help with the track change. I live 40 minutes from the local indoor track. That means I have to spend almost 1 1/2 hours on the round trip to help + $6 in gas + the time to help change the track. That is 3-4 hours. I value my time, so I am more than willing to pay $5-$10 more to race so that the shop can hire their own employees to help change the track. This way, you not asking the racers to be volunteers.

You can have a track commitee which gets a $5-$10 discount on races, and in return they maintain the track.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default How much?

How much is to much though. I have a great facility and only charge $12 for the first class $8 for a second, and yet about half of the racers act as if I'm robbing them.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

RC flying sites generally charge a yearly "club" fee which usually ranges anywhere from $25 up to $100 or more depending on the size and features of the site/club. In the grand scheme of things, that's a pretty small amount to pay to use a nice mowed field when you consider the thousands most RC guys already have invested in their gear or the hundreds or thousands they will spend on the hobby within that year. I don't see why tracks couldn't do the same thing considering many would have even more overhead costs than a flying field. You want to race and want it to be in a nicer place than a torn up parking lot or a dusty field? Then you need to pay up.

Members of the track pay the one time yearly fee plus maybe a small race fee each race. Visiting racers to the track are allowed to race 3 times a year by paying the weekly race fee. Any more than that and they need to join the club.

Just a thought............
Old 07-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Default mrrcguy

How about charging $20 and including 2 classes? The guys that think you are robbing them are the same guys who charge many times that at their "profession". Everyone wants something for nothing, as long as they are paid a lot, and forced to spend very little.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm all for a "club fee" or any other idea to keep indoor tracks in the black, but I think club fees can be a sticky wicket when it comes to a "for profit" business. What does the club fee buy? If I owned an indoor track, the club fee would buy a reserved pit space and the option of voting on race-related issues that only the track owner AKA "benevolent dictator" can put to a vote. Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:36 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
While some seasoned racers will fuss about paying ROAR dues, they will have to accept it as an insurance neccessity to have a place to race.

However, even with an insurance policy in hand, there is still a lack of temporary facilities in the tri-state area. Parking lots everywhere, but many businesses don't want the hassle, for whatever reason. Furthermore, there is a lack of hobby shops for potential customers to see on a regular basis. Not to mention, the best use of this thread ....

....is to get ideas geared towards keeping permanent race facilities open to the public, IMO. I'm pm'ing Ray Murray to get him into this thread. He's a great promoter, but sadly lost the race site that had a following for some ten years.
Rays awesome. You go to his races just because he is a great guy for are hobby. He could have a race in a corn field and guys would sho up to race because he helps the hobby and is a relentless promotor and all around great guy.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Default for profit business?

Is there 1 track that actually makes money on its own? (not the attached hobby store in non r/c on road sales.) R/C tracks are not charities, why does everyone treat them like they are.

I don't think a club fee is the way to go (too difficult for out of town racers.) I think higher race entry fees, and grouping multiple entries together is the way to go ($20 for 2 classes.)

At most big races, the entry fee is $25-$30 per class (without handout anything.) At club races, it is $10-$15, WHY? Club races should be $20 at the MINIMUM.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
Is there 1 track that actually makes money on its own? (not the attached hobby store in non r/c on road sales.) R/C tracks are not charities, why does everyone treat them like they are.

I don't think a club fee is the way to go (too difficult for out of town racers.) I think higher race entry fees, and grouping multiple entries together is the way to go ($20 for 2 classes.)

At most big races, the entry fee is $25-$30 per class (without handout anything.) At club races, it is $10-$15, WHY? Club races should be $20 at the MINIMUM.

Totally agree, it is still a business and it should be up to track owners to make it work. If charging more is whats needed then they should do it.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Holy crap...LOL...someone agrees with me that a track should have to support itself.

Just like Rev...he raised the fees, made a nicer track with more parking, now you have a harder time getting in there than you did before. The on-road side wasn't cutting it, so he went off-road. It's sad, but at the bottom line, it has to pay the rent if you want it to stay open...

You can't rely on charity or promises of donations or goodwill or subsidies from the overcharging people in the store...or they'll both go down the tubes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.