Wiki Posts
Search

pantom team stock motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default pantom team stock motors

How are people setting the motor up brushes, springs, gearing
I am running the puttum brushs with standard springs and teflon space with only .010 end play is this the best way or not ?
Old 04-24-2003, 11:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry, what motor did you get. a pic or better description please.

As for spacing. .010 is not enough on a stock motor. Heat expansion, the arm will grow more than that. try like .020
Old 04-24-2003, 11:33 PM
R/C Tech Founder

On the topic of heat expansion, that made me think of something I hadn't before. I have never thought to check the play in the armature after a run, when the motor is in the 160F-180F range, and compare it to the "cold" state. Hmm...
Old 04-25-2003, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

the motor is the Pantom's version of the monster the motor seems really fast for the first 2 mins of the run and goes flat I will try more spacing its not over geared cause I am running alot higher gearing then others runing the motor 6.81 to there 6.1-6.5
Old 04-25-2003, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

OK, the first thing is, gear more conservativly, try a 7.0-8.5 final drive ratio. Next is to cut the com and put new brushes on it. The fast brushes go fast for a few runs then they drop off. So you could serrate them or just get new brushes and it should work like it did.

Last edited by Sushi Boy; 04-25-2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If it runs really fast for 2 mins and goes flat that means you're overgeared. Don't always go by the final ratios that people tell you. Different motors (even of the same type) like different gearing. I'd suggest dropping a tooth or two on the pinion.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Default Over Gearing the MS

The Armature windings will turn dark if you are over gearing. Compare them to a new Motor. They should be nice shiny copper colored.
My Monster Stocks run best with FDR gearing in the 7.70-7.90 range for a medium size parking lot track.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most of the current STOCK motors require much more maintenance than in the past. Mostly because everyones stock motors are pulling EVERYTHING out of it. Also look at the condition of the brushes. The springs are stiffer for more surface tension, the brushes are harder, which equal less graphite, which equalls less lubrication. Almost any of the TUNED stock motors are using brushes that give great power but for only a few packs. BUT, as everyone else stated, I too think your overgeared. This is the best example of the armature being heat saturated. The motor feels good for a couple of laps then falls off. If after your done with the 5 min race, you can hold your fingers on it for 5 seconds or more, than you should be ok (this is usually about 130). If you cannot, then you need to either retune the motor, or regear the car.

Good luck
Kevin
Old 04-27-2003, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default thermal expansion??

.010 over the length of less than 2" seems like alot. i don't know of a any metals that have that high a coefficient of thermal expansion to allow that to happen. and wouldn't the can expand as well?? i believe the arm and can are both made of some grade of steel.

i think around .050mm expansion is a bit more in the ballpark. that's like .002in. but what about the can???
Old 04-27-2003, 01:19 AM
Tech Adept

I retured the arm new brushes geared at 7.0 for a open track its only getting to 59 degs after 5 mins but stills seems to go soft I am using brand new pan 3000's matched so I dont think its the batterys my matrixs v10 does not go off and is still very fast with the same end play brushes and its geared at 5.91
Old 04-27-2003, 01:22 AM
Tech Adept

the end play was set when its was hot its only grows .005 after 8 min run