PRO RACER QUESTION! DEANS OR WHAT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PRO RACER QUESTION! DEANS OR WHAT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

hmmm, what if your using lipo? because thats what i use, i need some pro input. also how will deans have less resistance than corraly/bullets? the bullets have 100% contact area and the deans only have like a small square? i personally prefer the bullets, heaps easier to use but when on lipos they could short....

i think the euro style connectors are the ones on the 1/18 motor side? cause i use those too
Old 06-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well since LiPo isn't used at the Pro level much I doubt you will get much response.
But either style will work fine and you wont be able to tell the difference between the two on the track... and the Orion packs are set up for the bullet style connectors
Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pro's solder. that said.. pro's also do things like change brushes every race, buy (or get given) new motors, batteries and tyres every meet etc etc.

I prefer deans.. (although i use both) i have had problems with dirt in the corally style plug doing funny things to my brushless. I'm sure dirt gets in to deans also but it has never caused me any problems to date.

Tech Tip for corrally plugs: Get a cotton tip (or Q-tip i think the americans call em) soak it in shellite and jam the little bugger down the female plug. twist it around as you pull it out. you will notice the inside will be pefectly clean.

My Mamba max 7700 was having glitching problems after a while so i did that.. problems gone

I use deans for batts and corrally for motor to esc (to make it easy to swap between brushed and brushless motors). I use lipo and feel that deans are a saftey net for me. It does not matter how carefull you are all it takes is 1 rushed pack swap while the race caller is hassling u to get on to the track and BOOOOMBA goes my MAMBA lol
Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

hmm yeah sounds like it. the corralys get abit dirty inside and can sometimes lose the tightness on the male clip, just need abit cleaning ad tightening every so long n thats it, id prefer em over deans any day. lol

u think wrong battery polarity connections is bad, hell i can imagine u using my electronics, all the heatshrinking is done in red LOL, i couldnt find or ran out of blue so yea... lol i remember once all my battery connections wer 4 diff colours, red and white on the ESC and blue and green on the battery, you figure it out
Old 06-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ProudSavageOwnr
hmmm, what if your using lipo? because thats what i use, i need some pro input. also how will deans have less resistance than corraly/bullets? the bullets have 100% contact area and the deans only have like a small square? i personally prefer the bullets, heaps easier to use but when on lipos they could short....

i think the euro style connectors are the ones on the 1/18 motor side? cause i use those too
I have used Deans. Corrally style, and soldering.

For me, soldering is easiest. Where I race, I will always have access to a soldering iron. And if the connections are freshened (new wires, freshened ends from time to time), this set-up will provide the least resistance.

As for plugs, I prefer the Corally style for looks, but the male end tends to wear out and lose tension (and the connection) when they go through a few heat cycles or get very hot. So they need to be changed often.

I like the Deans the best. They may take more room and not look as clean, but in the end they are your best bet if you choose plugs. However I am certain that nobody would be able to tell which connection they were using if they were subjected to a blind test.

Traxxas has a new connector that looks very nice but I have not actually tried it.

The most important thing with whatever you choose is to be sure that your solder connections are good.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

i run wifi.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

I see people here calling 4mm bullets 'corally plugs.' Corally doesn't deserve credit for that plug. They should be called 4mm bullets.

Pro who run lipo (i.e. the electric airplane pros) use Deans, 5.5mm bullets, or 6mm bullets:
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...RS-WIRING.html
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...RS-WIRING.html

Somewhere on this internet thing is a German website that measured resistance on a bunch of these R/C connectors. 6mm were king, 5.5mm were next, and I think Deans were next. Deans have like four times the resistance of those 6mm bullets.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

i bet bullets would win lol whats traxxas's plug? i bet wt would be crap lol
Old 06-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

if you can find them sermo i think are the best connector option. you DON'T have to make them come together. they are color coded. and I have see them used for high amp car stereo connection so they must be good to have that many amps going through them.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
if you can find them sermo i think are the best connector option. you DON'T have to make them come together. they are color coded. and I have see them used for high amp car stereo connection so they must be good to have that many amps going through them.
the sermos connectors your talking about for teh car audio ARE MASSIVE!!!!! do you know ho big they are? trust me theyre asbig as a 1/18 size brushless motor.....
Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

this real funny, the 0.00001 lower IR you getting with super thick wire and extra large connectors will be offset by the added weight of the connectors anyway
Old 07-01-2007, 02:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

personaly i use corrally conectors but my dad uses deans (stick packs) and i find the deans easyear to use but then again ive never plugged my corrally connecters in the wrong way round
Old 07-01-2007, 03:16 AM
Tech Elite

i dont like deans, duno why, i guess i started off with coraaly bullets and if i change itll prolly be the different sizes, i wana use like a 5mm or somthing or shorter ones cause i run 1/18th...

checked out the traxxes plugs, dont wana go newere near em
Old 07-01-2007, 03:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

bullet connectors for me...

thinking id have problems putting the packs in the equalizer/discharger if i used deans
Old 07-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

4mm bullets on side by side or saddle packs, and Deans on sticks!!

Those 6mm bullets might be tempting.... anyone got a link?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.