Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 06:05 AM
Tech Rookie

AnyoneFor LRP quantum comp.- i used a 4700uf, 16v, 85deg capacitor. Is it sufficient enough?
Old 09-04-2001, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Reedy-

Yes, that is what I use and what everyone I know uses for Modified Racing only. If you run stock you do not need a cap.

Mike Webb
Old 09-04-2001, 08:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I actually saw someone use the novak pit wizard this weekend. So now I can no longer say I have never seen anyone actually use the thing at the track. He use it to check the settings on his Atom and change them to a more Stock racing friendly setup. So out of the literally hundreds of novak cyclones and atoms I have seen, I finally see someone actually programming one!

I think that will change though, once novak releases the new Millenium charger. More people will actually have what they need to program the speedos right there in front of them. I think is so neat that they are putting the pit wizard software in the charger.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Hi!
I'm using a Tekin G12C and only have capacitors installed on my motor (really reduces the radio glitching alot). Could someone tell me if my esc needs it, and how do I go about doing it? 'cause my esc's wiring is a tad strange (3 wires).

TIA. I only run stock for now.

Regards,
Alvin
Old 09-04-2001, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by Alvin
Hi!
I'm using a Tekin G12C and only have capacitors installed on my motor (really reduces the radio glitching alot). Could someone tell me if my esc needs it, and how do I go about doing it? 'cause my esc's wiring is a tad strange (3 wires).
Alvin,

Your Tekin doesn't need any capacitors other than three little ones you already have on your motor. That's one of the things I liked best about Tekin speed controls... no need for additional capacitors, schottky diodes, nothing.

Trips
P.S. still looking for a good G9 Tekin.

Last edited by Trips; 09-04-2001 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:24 PM
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have an almost new Tekin G-10 Pro if anyone is interested. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Thank you Trips!

~Alvin
Old 09-04-2001, 10:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I own two Tekin G-9's, one G-10, one Keyence Zero V Extreme and one Hitec HFX (won it as a door prize for a race)! I have used Novak's in the past including Cyclones. I have a Tempest, one of the first ones, but there is something wrong with it and I get horrible glitching problems from it. For ease of adjustability the G-10 wins hands down compared to any of the other speedos with programability. Although the G-10 isn't as adjustable as a Cyclone can be or even the Keyence, it still allows you to be able to adjust the most important aspects of the Speed control and it works great! The G-9 is more of the old school aspect of speedos, very limited in adjustment, but highly effective, set it and forget it. The Keyence is the T1000, as per say of all the speedos out there. It is highly adjustable, very effecient and simply looks trick as hell! But with all it's plusses it is also as exspensive as hell! I have seen it advertised for $189.99, which is the cheapest that I have seen and that is still more than LRP's flagship Quantum! Considering that the Pit Wizard is a one time purchase, the Cyclones win the all out adjustability per dollar war by a landslide! They are also the cheapest, except for the Tekin G-10. The Hitec HFX is an excellent speedo for what it is, low price, excellent performance and even though I don't suggest it I have run below the 10 turn limit on this speedo with no problems what so ever! I have never owned an LRP or a GM, but I am sure both make excellent speedos, LRP seems to stick with the old school design as well as far as adjustability of Drive and brake frequency goes, minimal adjustments but they get the job done!
Old 09-05-2001, 04:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone A friend of mine soldered his capacitors at the motor. His an electrical engineer. He said its not proper to connect them directly to the esc. Im a little bit confused about his claims.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

REEDY: If you are referring to the three small microfarad capacitors, then yes you do put those on the motor. The large electrolytic capacitors that look like a small drum go on to the speedo.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:16 AM
Tech Rookie

I've seen it, it has a value of 1000uf, 16v. Dont know the temp though. It can be bought at radio shack. They solder this to the motor.
Old 09-06-2001, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Is that cap about a inch long and mabe 1/2inch round? The one that I have connected to my LRP Quantum is a 4700uf 10V.

Mike Webb
Old 09-06-2001, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

I just saw something interesting on a Novak TC2 Speed controller. The guy had really small wires running from the + and - on the speed controller to a female conector and the cap was plugged into the female end of the connector. He said that he does this so he can disconnect it for use when he runs a stock motor. I want to try this but I was wondering if it is safe to do. I have a LRP Quantum and the guy was leaving the hobby store when I asked him about it. Does anyone else do this?

Mike Webb
Old 09-06-2001, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

i think youre referring to the capacitor harness for the tc2. its built-in on that particular esc so you dont have to solder it permanently. try to find if novak has a part number for that particular harness. or maybe you can get a similar one from an electronics store. then retrofit it on your quantum. i think itll be easy since the quantum has external solder tabs for the + and - wires.
Old 09-06-2001, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, the quantum does have the external posts. I looked in my computer parts bag and fond a cable that connects a sound card to the CDROM and it has small red and black wire and the female plug. I am going to plug the cap into the female end and see if it goes in all the way. If so then I guess I will have about the same setup.

Mike Webb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.